Tradewinds 747 Wreck in MDE

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
B747FR8DAWG said:
Hey did anyone download and save the video? I can no longer access it on that web site, getting an error message. I've got a buddy of mine that wants to see it and is having the same problem as I am, when he tries to view it on the web.

Thanks

I was able to pull it up and watch it about 5 minutes ago.

I could watch it in explorer but originally had problems viewing it with firefox.

Hope this is the last overrun for a long time!

Crappy runways with little drainage. Crappy weather. Crappy terrain. Crappy radar. Complicated approaches . . . . and crappy company managements make South America a very dangerous and unforgiving place to fly.

Draginass said:
Crappy runways with little drainage. Crappy weather. Crappy terrain. Crappy radar. Complicated approaches . . . . and crappy company managements make South America a very dangerous and unforgiving place to fly.

agreed completely, but unless this accident was the result of a mechanical failure, the crew most likely aborted after V1 or made some other mistake. At least nobody got hurt on the plane or on the ground! I hope the best for everyone involved.

kevdog said:
agreed completely, but unless this accident was the result of a mechanical failure, the crew most likely aborted after V1 or made some other mistake. At least nobody got hurt on the plane or on the ground! I hope the best for everyone involved.

It is irresponsible to make suppositions like that. Are you naive enough to believe that the takeoff data in the flight manual will apply to runway conditions/factors at many crappy South American airports? Have you ever experienced the braking action on wet heavy rubber deposits in a balanced field length 747?

Draginass said:
It is irresponsible to make suppositions like that. Are you naive enough to believe that the takeoff data in the flight manual will apply to runway conditions/factors at many crappy South American airports? Have you ever experienced the braking action on wet heavy rubber deposits in a balanced field length 747?

Actual TO weigh, not W&B numbers might be a consideration too. Balanced field #'s are based on known actual weight. How often are freighters loaded beyond the manifested weight.... Probably all the time. High speed RTO's are dicey on a heavy jet. Throw in wet runway ( probably not crowned), hydroplaning, and delayed crew response time, you will probably go off the end.

Draginass said:

I can tell you I have in a heavy DC10, and I bet a million bucks kevdog has too. Da man is entitled to his opinion, and many of us on here have "crappy South American airport" experience.

Draginass said:

Hey ass,
Over 90% of my flights this year have been to crappy South American airports. Hell, I was even at MDE a few days before this accident. I agree with what you are saying and yes the RAD isn't 100% accurate. That's why a good crew would take it on the conservative side at at 7,300' field with a wet runway. That's why I have respect for Captains who don't use QNH corrections to offset the wet runway penalty to help the company out. There are reasons high speed aborts are not recommended. I wasn't accusing this crew of doing anything wrong, just saying it was likely to be crew/pilot error. Let's see what the report says.

B-atch said:
Actual TO weigh, not W&B numbers might be a consideration too. Balanced field #'s are based on known actual weight. How often are freighters loaded beyond the manifested weight.... Probably all the time. High speed RTO's are dicey on a heavy jet. Throw in wet runway ( probably not crowned), hydroplaning, and delayed crew response time, you will probably go off the end.
I understand this flight was flying for LAN. If it was, I wouldn't be shocked if more flowers were on the plane than on the W&B paperwork, but I would be surprised. I would also think the cargo would have been weighed again after the incident. If I was on this crew I would have insisted on it to possibly cover my ass.

I agree high speed RTO's are dicey. It's also easy with hindsight to say they should have continued the takeoff. At the end of the day the most important thing is that nobody got hurt or killed.

Mr. Kevdog your entitled to your opinion but your talking about the jobs of 3 guys here. Talk all you want about Tradewinds or Even your crappy Centurion or Arrow Air but not the guys come on grow up.

Latest resources

Back