Toughest US Approach?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
GVFlyer said:
If I'm not VMC and on speed at Red Table I'm going to Rifle.

GV

I'm hearing that more and more. We do the VOR with ALLIX as the MAP. That way we can duck up the valley and lose some altitude. That's kind of sketchy IMO.

I'm thinking of starting a movement for using Red Table as the limit.TC

P.S.--Prior to actually using EVS, some guys were suggesting we could start doing night arrivals into ASE with the EVS. Yeah, right...

Also, the issue of the out of rig flap has apparently died quietly on the MX shop floor. Guess I'll just have to keep gritting my teeth. ;)

I still go to allix but thats about as far as I'll go. Good thing we have high company mins for that place.

Of course I did watch CS circle to the other runway. It was weird clearing the runway with a 5kt tailwind and watch an Xl go into the valley, go behind a mountain and pop out the other side on final.

I was in SUN whan a Beechjet hit a flock of birds on final. We rode to the hotel in the van with them. They were talking about how they were landing no matter what. The weren't sure what the damage was to the engines and there was a lot and they knew they couldn't go around into the valley.

Gotta love those rich mountain airports.

Hello,
From personal experience I'll vote for the ILS 23 BLF...4700' runway, no approach lights or visual approach aids...Built on top of a mountain holler in West Virginia...Also, has high terrain in all quadrants... Fun stuff!!!

Somebody mentioned something about the LDA to 06 at ROA. I'd have to get to my plates and do some thinking - but as I remember, this approach is a total booby trap.

Does it have a G/S - I seem to remember that it does ?

Anyways - G/S unusable below DH. LDA - read maneuvering below DH. Mountains. VASI cannot be seen before alignment with the runway. Read - maneuver below MDA/DH (whatever it is) with no vertical guidance until finished with the rollout to final.

Went in there as PIC at Mesaba years ago in a Saab. Went missed - asked for vectors, told to fly the published (climbing right turn to join some radial with the missed holding fix identified by a cross radial). Flew to within .3 of the holding fix, then given vectors for another approach (jerk). Just inside the marker - Allegheny reported missed, we bailed and went to Charleston.

Anywho - trap. How about Eagle, Colorado ?

Seen some seriously screwed up approaches into DCA, both from the cockpit and the jumpseat.

What environment are we talking about. I can remember in the commuter days - "cleared to join the XYZ 10 DME arc, cleared for the NDB to AB". Did it with eyes closed. Went to majors - would have taken out the flask on that clearance.

Majors dilute those fine skills - environment erodes abilities.

VOR/DME to 1 at Jackson Hole is rather insane. 2 step downs on a rather short arc, followed by 4 stepdowns on the final approach course. If you're lucky the tops of the clouds will show you the tetons as you descend into the clag. Fun times for all.

Lostdog65 said:
I take it you've done this one huh!? In real life it might be better but in the SIM...you lose the runways due to limited visuals...you're down to counting 20 seconds, turn and hope you've got the runway...and not the coast line!!

But the one with the lead-in lights...well...they only gave us that once a year...almost too easy to screw up and yet I did on my first try!!

Eric
One of these days I'll ask approach for it in a 172...

EagleRJ said:
KBOS- LOC 15R, circle to 4L in the Saab was sporting. Oh yeah, hold short of 15L and don't overshoot final because there's a plane landing 4R.

The "Special VFR Arrival Procedure" into Wichita Falls/Sheppard AFB when the training wing is flying. Some of those T-38s got a real close look at us!

You're talking about coming in over the VORTAC and then flying the curve for Rwy 17? Yeah...you're basically 500' under the T-38 pattern.

Sig said:
ASE is odd- I treated it like a backwards alternate with the county planned destination. If we can't see the field over Red Table, WE AIN'T TRYIN'.

As a visual approach, ASE ranks with the DCA/LGA visuals as the most fun- I kept getting 14,000' base legs called from the tower. Tons of FUN, not a challenge with the entry-level plane (P-Baron) I was flying (the analyzers helped tremendously babysitting the engines), and got one on tape (ex-wife in the right seat). It has to be a riot in a Lear or Falcon, but they's much mo' of a pylot than I is.

I flew the Roaring Fork visual into ASE once in a turbo seminole. Not really a challenging approach for that airplane, but it's still a turbocharged twin and the engines needed to be taken care of. It really is a gorgeous approach...I wish I could find the video of it my friend took from the right seat.

Comin-In-Hot said:
VOR/DME to 1 at Jackson Hole is rather insane. 2 step downs on a rather short arc, followed by 4 stepdowns on the final approach course. If you're lucky the tops of the clouds will show you the tetons as you descend into the clag. Fun times for all.

Mayhap that is why it is called a 'Hole'?..lol

Sorry couldn't resist..Don't think I would want to land in a hole..:nuts:

Latest resources

Back