• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Toughest US Approach?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There's a good high altitude approach at Roswell New mexico. I think we nicknamed it the spider web. High descent rates, good banking, lots of remain in gotchas.

cactus320mech said:
Just curious...in your opinions, what's the toughest US app.? I've heard SAN is up there...

The one I dont like to be a passenger on, is going into SNA ( Santa Ana). I am afraid that the student pilot will overshoot his base leg. Then once that is not a problem, you scrape the cars on the 405 then slam down and hit the brakes. Flying it is one thing, but sitting in the back scares me.

I haven't been there in a long time but how many students are going to be flying the plane at Delta, JetBlue or SWA?

Say Again Over said:
I haven't been there in a long time but how many students are going to be flying the plane at Delta, JetBlue or SWA?

Well after 17 years and 16,000 hours, I still consider myself to be a "student pilot".

The students that I was referring to are those pilots doing touch-n-gos on 19L, while we are landing on 19R. The downwind to base is no problem, but the base to final scares me. I am afraid that their base leg will extend into my final.

Then the short runway. I have been in the back during some slammers. UAL 757, oh my ... we hit so hard that I thought the tail section fell off.

Toughest ?

Probably KASE

ATC- induced toughest ? (usually due to being left high and fast)

LOC 27 at KSAN

ILS 19R at KSNA

The Quiet Bridge Visual to 28 at KSFO

Best for sheer flying fun ?

The River Vis to 19 at KDCA

The VOR 13L at KJFK (aka "The Canarsie Approach")

I'll throw in a vote for the Red Barn visual at Oxnard, CA. Very steep, two 90 degree turns in the middle of it, and a short runway to top it off.

Latest resources

Back