Toughest US Approach?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
These are the two I don't much care for really

1.)ILS or Vis 28L SFO circle to rwy1R, the terrain South of SFO sucks, so you gots to keep it in tight.!!!

2.)After 3 days of small 4000 X 100 ft runways, refuling at night in Salina KS and landing on 17 or 35 and forgetting youve got like 13000X300, needless to say everytime I did it which was alot was flare high and slam her on down, that runway is too much concrete!

rickair7777 said:
KSAN LOC 27 has an interesting visual as you fly by the downtown buildings and buzz the parking garage under short final...how did they ever get permission to build that thing there?

It's good sport to stand on the top level of that parking garage, too.

81Horse said:
It's good sport to stand on the top level of that parking garage, too.
Oh, cool, that would be something to try. My aunt once worked for an attorney up on the mesa, and we could see the planes coming in, below her window.

Mode C w/in 30nm of Class B

rickair7777 said:
I have this lingering fear that the next big revision to US airspace regs is going to be caused by a GA / 121 midair in SOCAL. My personal high-score is three seperate RAs on a Sunday afternoon departure from BUR. It is an f-ing zoo out there...

If I remember correctly, there was a mid-air between a Piper enroute from Torrance to Big Bear and an AeroMexico jet (over Cerritos) in the late '80s.

Because of that accident all aircraft within 30nm of Class B must have altitude reporting.

And in fact, the old Terminal Control Areas (TCA-predecessor to Class B) were instituted because of a mid-air between a C172 and a PSA jet over San Diego.

So yeah, another mid-air, another reg...

Fly safe.

it is sad, but true, that a lot of the rules in aviation are first made in blood, then in ink.

For a while they were landing us turboprops on taxiway C parallel to 28R in SFO, 28R was closed. They called in Rwy 29. If you didn't slow down quick and crossed 1R with any speed it was like a bleeding ski jump.

In Wichita there is a small airport to the east of ICT called Westport (71K) that is pretty cool. I wouldn't say it is the hardest but you come in on top of some manufacturing buildings and a 60 ft antenna, clear the power lines and put it down. The runway is 2500ft with a drainage ditch on your left (east), there is also a pond and trees at the south end. When I was a student we would always go there and land right next to the ditch in the grass, bumpy mother.....

ASE, EGE, & JAC

At least EGE has a way out.

ASE you're just trucking down a valley. Kind of retarted

MVY & ACK because they allways lie on the ATIS. VIS 1/2mile my ass

JFK because taxing can take as long as the flight.

PWK because you have to circle within the airport or end up in ORD's lap

Any airport where the controllers think you are a commuter that has been there a 1000 times and get pissed when you don't do something that everyone based out of there does. Huh where is that written.

The list goes on and on

C-141/C-5 said:
There's a good high altitude approach at Roswell New mexico. I think we nicknamed it the spider web. High descent rates, good banking, lots of remain in gotchas.
It's the High-ILS (TACAN penetration) Nicknamed the "Widow Maker."

Latest resources

Back