• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Toughest US Approach?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ASE is odd- I treated it like a backwards alternate with the county planned destination. If we can't see the field over Red Table, WE AIN'T TRYIN'.

As a visual approach, ASE ranks with the DCA/LGA visuals as the most fun- I kept getting 14,000' base legs called from the tower. Tons of FUN, not a challenge with the entry-level plane (P-Baron) I was flying (the analyzers helped tremendously babysitting the engines), and got one on tape (ex-wife in the right seat). It has to be a riot in a Lear or Falcon, but they's much mo' of a pylot than I is.

VFR at Jackson, WY, coming from the west. Clear the Tetons at 16k and crank around and down with the boards out for the visual to 19. Fun! Wouldn't say its the most challenging but it'll get your attention.

Prog 2/2 said:
Toughest ?

Probably KASE

ATC- induced toughest ? (usually due to being left high and fast)

LOC 27 at KSAN

ILS 19R at KSNA

The Quiet Bridge Visual to 28 at KSFO

Best for sheer flying fun ?

The River Vis to 19 at KDCA

The VOR 13L at KJFK (aka "The Canarsie Approach")

Yep. That about covers it for me.TC

P.S.--Alaska doesn't count. Those approaches are just crazy. :)

Maybe I've just been doing this too long...KASE Loc DME 15, definately has some pucker factor to it, but SNA, SAN, SFO...????

gkrangers said:
The lights on the ground are like a frikkin yellow brick road, what are you complaining about? ;) jk

I take it you've done this one huh!? In real life it might be better but in the SIM...you lose the runways due to limited visuals...you're down to counting 20 seconds, turn and hope you've got the runway...and not the coast line!!

But the one with the lead-in lights...well...they only gave us that once a year...almost too easy to screw up and yet I did on my first try!!

Eric

KBOS- LOC 15R, circle to 4L in the Saab was sporting. Oh yeah, hold short of 15L and don't overshoot final because there's a plane landing 4R.

The "Special VFR Arrival Procedure" into Wichita Falls/Sheppard AFB when the training wing is flying. Some of those T-38s got a real close look at us!

peter185 said:
The HI-ILS RWY 3 into San Angelo is another interesting penetration approach.

I used to give the Tallahassee HI-VOR/DME or TACAN RWY 36 approach with the 17,000 foot IAF to pilots on Qual Checks, but now-a-days the LOC/DME-E at Aspen is sporting enough for me. If I'm not VMC and on speed at Red Table I'm going to Rifle.

GV

Axel said:
LDA 6 at ROA

Anybody can fly the LDA 6. Real men fly the straight in visual to 15 and wave to the hikers over on McAfee's Knob. (Heh heh heh).

I always enjoyed the Expressway Visual to LGA. If done correctly (with the turn to final inside of the apartments) it's quite a ride.

Latest resources

Back