Tough Choice--SWA or UPS?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hobiehawker said:
The only thing about this issue is that it is an item the could likely be address in a future contract negotiation. Management for some reason has a thing about productivity.

For the mean time, all the more to ya. I flew 37 hours in the last two weeks!

Actually, thats the beauty of flying boxes. Its a different model altogether. based upon lift and infrastructure rather than keeping the airplanes in the air and getting the most out of your pilots.

If you knew how much FDX spent on Dead heads alone, you'd be agog at the inefficiency of the scheduling. But the revenue doesn't rely on that, rather the need of Business to get documents and packages to other places in america the next day. That's why FDX will send crewmembers on the private corporate fleet if needed, and has airport standbys all over the place. And thats why it costs 30 bucks to send an overnight envelope.

I did my 757/767 type at UPS. They are a great company. From what I saw while there, I don't think the management/pilot relationship is as good as it is at SWA. I would be a little concerned about going to a company that voted in May for approval to strike if talks do not resolve the pay issues. I find everyone at SWA to be excellent to work with. Just my two cents good luck in your choice and enjoy some bbq for me at SDF.

Gimme a break

All of these posts implying that flying for UPS is tantamount to flying only nights, getting sick and dying young are making me laugh. This perception of the UPS lifestyle is about as accurate as those held by the people you meet at parties who ask “what’s your route?” when they find out you’re an airline pilot. Granted, I’ve been at UPS less than a year, but so far with the exception of IOE, I haven’t worked nights more than 3 times. It’s simple, if you don’t like working nights, don’t bid domestic. There’s tons of day flying on the international side.

I flew six legs-a-day to the same handful of destinations for a long time. And all the while, I was saying to myself I hope I can get on with UPS, fly someplace other than Des Moines and have some peace-of-mind (insofar as stability).

I’m not knocking anyone who wants to fly for SWA…it’s a great company and I have lots of happy friends there. But offering the notion “fly for SWA if you like people and want to live long” vs. “fly for UPS if you hate people, hate to fly and want to die young” is grossly inaccurate. I love to fly, like people (usually) and look forward to flying international for the foreseeable future.

Just my opinion…for whatever that’s worth.

RO

Hobiehawker said:
The only thing about this issue is that it is an item the could likely be address in a future contract negotiation. Management for some reason has a thing about productivity.

You're right, mgmt loves productivity. However, UPS tends to focus their productivity efforts on line holders. They like to keep reserves in their hip pocket to cover any hiccups in the system, and I don't think any major changes are likely for this very reason.

I don't know why reserve has such a bad reputation, at least at UPS. Sure, you will have some bad months. But you will come out way ahead in the long run. If you live in domicile and don't mind not knowing where you're going until you get called, reserve is the way to go.

Just my opinion.....

ben:
"... approval to strike if talks do not resolve the pay issues" there were more important issues than simply compensation. for example scope (domestic and international-europe and asia), retirement, medical, sched. to name a few. the thought that such a high percentage voted in favor of a strike simply being based on compensation is grossly incorrect. i just want to make the point that while compensation is an important issue there are issues as important and in some cases more important (scope and retirement and sched).

as far as i am concerned if a person wants to come and work for a trucking and freight company..welcome, coffee is on me (the cheap cafe. type) if not please do not apply or take the job--i have friends who want to come be apart of this fly by night cargo outfit.

fbt

I'm probably decades away from having to make this decision, but I'd probably go with WN because I'm absolutely a 0500 to 2300 type of guy, and I definitely like to interact with people. Flying a 737 domestically with quick turns wouldn't really bother me either, and I like to fly a lot--if I just sat at home all the time I'd start going crazy. I need action.

-Goose

If your a person that likes to be up all night and can only fit in with other pilots, you must go to UPS or FEDEX. If you are a person that likes the occasional chat with a new person in your life and is willing to impress people with your skills, come on over to the light side. We like people,people. I came from the Dark side, and prefer the light side sssssssooooo much more.

WillowRunVortex said:
If your a person that likes to be up all night and can only fit in with other pilots, you must go to UPS or FEDEX. If you are a person that likes the occasional chat with a new person in your life and is willing to impress people with your skills, come on over to the light side. We like people,people. I came from the Dark side, and prefer the light side sssssssooooo much more.

Amen Brother!

To each his own I guess ... but I (personally) couldn't imagine 6-8 legs per day, in the same small aircraft your entire career, to the same little domestic towns, day after day, month after month, year after year ... short layovers, no ACARS ... can't imagine listening to ATIS and getting clearances manually every single leg. Beyond that .. what's with disconnecting LNAV/VNAV and the auto-throttles? Sounds like a LOT of work to me. Furthermore, at SWA you'll never have the opportunity to be a paid tourist in Honolulu, Sydney, Hong Kong, Singapore, Shanghai, Beijing, Tokyo, Seoul, Paris, London, Cologne, Vienna, Madrid, Oslo, Amsterdam or any of the other great international destinations. Most of UPS's international layovers are 24-96 hours ... plenty of time to explore the world while getting paid.

As for me ... I'd rather play with my kids, volunteer in their classrooms, go on their field trips, coach their athletic teams, surf, swim, golf, kayak, work out, chase Mrs BBB around the house (all WHILE getting paid!) and let all you gung-ho "people, people" <g> meet new and exciting other "people, people" between legs ... whoops forgot you've got to elbow the passengers out of the way to scramble down the concourse to pre-flight another jet ... while your cohort runs down the concourse looking for yet ANOTHER burrito or whopper (talk about taking years off your life! <g>)

YMMV,

BBB

Latest resources

Back