Tough Choice--SWA or UPS?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Big beer belly,

You were hired on at UPS with 7500 hours of military experience? WOW, that's impressive! For some reason I thought it was difficult to accumulate high flight hours in the military.

ILUVURBANMYERS said:
Guy I had to make the same call in 96. My thought was same as yours take the first job offered. If by some chance you are in training at UPS or SWA don't tell them you are in class with the other just ask for a postponement. I know SWA will let you slide a class and UPS called me back 3- months later but by then I decided to stay at good ol' SWA.
My feeling is you will know real quick if the night freight thing is for you. Here is what I did I had a UPS buddy e-mail me his next 3 day trip and I chair flew it. I know it sounds stupid but I "showed" at 1900 ( I am making these times up) stayed up all night, hit the rack-repeat.....By the last day my ass was dragging big time and that was why I stayed at SWA. I think you are in great shape no mater who you go with! Best of luck.
ILUVURBANMYERS

What an outstanding idea!!!

I always kinda of wondered the same thing myself. I did a few red-eyes in my past and knew it wasn't for me also.

UPS and FEDEX are good companies but I thought it would be too tough on me.

BBB,

Thats hardly working!! The airline pilots dream come true. But I know you are in the minority. Most all your fellow pilots are experiencing their flying much differently. I personally wouldn't want to live in any of your domiciles and thats what it would take to be on reserve.

Congrats on your cake lifestyle though.

English said:
Big beer belly,

You were hired on at UPS with 7500 hours of military experience? WOW, that's impressive! For some reason I thought it was difficult to accumulate high flight hours in the military.

Desert Storm/Shield in a C-141 ... we had guys hit their monthly max of 150 hrs in 11 days ... even more impressive when you figure required crew rest into those 11 days. Low-time military guys are usually fighter guys ... at 1.3 hrs per sortie it takes years to accumulate any substantial time.

BBB

Hobiehawker said:
I personally wouldn't want to live in any of your domiciles and thats what it would take to be on reserve.

Now Hobie ... you're telling me there's nothing between Malibu and Coronado that's to your liking? Me thinks you need new spectacles ... <g> ... lots of pretty, young, tanned, hard-bodies soaking up the sun all around me ... I need reinforcements!

YMMV,

BBB

Big Beer Belly said:
Now Hobie ... you're telling me there's nothing between Malibu and Coronado that's to your liking? Me thinks you need new spectacles ... <g> ... lots of pretty, young, tanned, hard-bodies soaking up the sun all around me ... I need reinforcements!

YMMV,

BBB

Too far from Oahu;)

Hobiehawker said:
Too far from Oahu;)

Now I comprendo! Flew nothing but HNL for a while myself (both mil and at UPS) ... definitely one of the finest spots on the planet! Enjoy your good fortune Hobie!!

BBB

Big Beer Belly said:
In the sole interest of a little balance on this subject ... for the last 10 YEARS or so at UPS ... I've averaged approx 50 DAYS per YEAR of WORK and fly annually between 120-150 TOTAL HOURS. This is VERY COMMON on reserve. Many hundreds of pilots at UPS will quote similar days/flight time.

I can attest to this. When I got my last FAA physical, I was almost embarrassed because I only flew 37 hours in the previous six months. And some of that was open time to keep crew skeds off my back about landing currency.

I didnt log any time sitting for hours on a lazyboy in the middle of the night waiting for a sort. Done it before, wasnt for me. Some dont mind it.

You will be equally taken care of at both companies. Do you want to fly boxes, or do you want to fly people? Its as simple as that.

If "boxes dont bitch" is on the "pro" side of your pro vs. con list, please go fly cargo.

If "getting to interact with people" is on the "pro" side, you would probably be happier flying people.

Below Mins said:
I can attest to this. When I got my last FAA physical, I was almost embarrassed because I only flew 37 hours in the previous six months. And some of that was open time to keep crew skeds off my back about landing currency.

The only thing about this issue is that it is an item the could likely be address in a future contract negotiation. Management for some reason has a thing about productivity.

For the mean time, all the more to ya. I flew 37 hours in the last two weeks!

Latest resources

Back