Tough Choice--SWA or UPS?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
UPS vs SWA

I think you should ask yourself this question? Do I want to work during the day, or work at night? What does my family think about that same question. Both, in my opinion would be great places to work. As someone previosly stated, everyone is always going to need their mail, no matter what happens. Even after september 11th, UPS was still flying, Southwest was not for a while.

SWA wasn't flying after 9/11? probably news to the people that were doing it. I'm pretty sure that when the gov't let anyone but military fly, SWA was flying along with UPS and every other airline. Granted, most pax carriers were mostly empty though.

I'm not sure I buy the argument that boxes will always have to go places whereas the need to move people around might dry up. It seems that the world is a smaller place now and people also will always want to go places. The stability of UPS/Fedex is their 2 power domination of the market. Whereas us pax carriers have many nearly equal size players with all of the competition that entails, the cargo carriers seem to have a cold war US/USSR detente thing going (who are the good guys?). It seems unlikely that anyone else will enter in as a viable third competitor (especially after DHLs recent abortive attempt) but you never know.

In summary, people will always be going places too, just as much as boxes will (short of the apocalypse, and in case of the rapture, well, not sure there will be much call for spare parts for your TV or USPS mail either) the difference is that there is currently much more competition on the pax side and it may stay that way forever, or it may change as systems tend to do.

Goose Egg said:
Anyway, don't you worry, I have plenty of stuff to fill up the off days (I could golf every day!) But if I have to be at work, I'd prefer flying to sitting.
I guess it all depends on what you're definition of work is. Like Big Beer Belly says, I would rather spend my time at "work" chasing the Mrs. around the house, playing with my kids, working on my hobbies, etc., versus sitting in a plane.

With the exception of intl overrides and per diem, it all pays the same. Many folks like flying the line for these overrides. It's sad, but some (including Capts) actually depend on it as part of their income. Others just have a need to fly. I just don't like to work any harder than I have to.

It's all about personal preferences and what you want in life. Reserve isn't for everyone. To each his own.... that's what makes the world go around!

capt. megadeth said:
I could so care less what pax think.....I don't care if they think I did a good job or not. (That's what 5 years of hearing stupid comments about turboprops will do to you)
I am annoyed after being around pax for 1 minute.
If you like sucking up to pax, more power to ya......I am glad there are people out there that enjoy that so I don't have to do it.

Like I said, to each their own.

I "suck up" to our customers as I do to a guest in my home. I don't find much effort envolved. But again to each their own.

You never struck me as a people type person on this board. You prefer freight and I have the impression you would be happier with that type of operation.

I hope the shut down of Chicago Express didn't make you such a bitter person that you don't like people anymore. That type of event can totally change people for the rest of their lives. I hope thats not what happened to you.

Sincerely, best of luck getting the job of your choice.

SWAdude

SWAdude said:
I "suck up" to our customers as I do to a guest in my home. I don't find much effort envolved. But again to each their own.

You never struck me as a people type person on this board. You prefer freight and I have the impression you would be happier with that type of operation.

I hope the shut down of Chicago Express didn't make you such a bitter person that you don't like people anymore. That type of event can totally change people for the rest of their lives. I hope thats not what happened to you.

Sincerely, best of luck getting the job of your choice.

SWAdude

Let me just say that there are many things that have made me dislike people.
1. The continued sense of entitlement in this society has made me sick. I have seen it at both of my jobs (ie. "We are late, do we get a free ticket?" Ughhhh)
2. People are increasingly and consistently rude (ie. walking through the airport a few weeks ago I had a cup of tea. Some lady bumps into my elbow and I spill the hot tea all over my arm and burn myself. She looks back, sees the entire thing, turns around and just keeps walking. No excuse me or sorry or anything)
3. Stupid comments from uneducated people coming on the Jetstream and Saab just gets to you after a while.

I really do give you guys/gals credit that enjoy standing there greeting and/or saying hello and goodbye to people. Standing there all I think is: "I am glad I got to subsidize your vacation". I can't help it, I am cynical. When I say "sucking up", it is not meant negatively to the people that do it. Like I said, I give you a lot of credit. I personally can't stand it.

Maybe I do not come across as a people person on this board, but if you knew me, you would know that I am outgoing and very social. I just do not enjoy any type of job where you have to kiss arse.

I will not even start on the Chicago Express subject. What happened there completely screwed a lot of my friends and my fiancee. It has cost us a lot of money in addition to a lot of other things. All thanks to incompetence. The best part is that that incompetence is still being paid by ATA, meanwhile everyone else gets screwed. So am I bitter? YOU BETCHA!

Oh shoot.....I forgot to add that all the executives that manage to take millions in pay and bonuses while asking for paycuts from employees has helped add fuel to my disliking of people. How do these people sleep at night? Most people it seems have no conscience.

Last edited:
capt. megadeth said:
3. Stupid comments from uneducated people coming on the Jetstream and Saab just gets to you after a while.

I'll can relate with you there. 3 years in the Jetstream, and the jokes never got any better.

Them: Is this thing SAFE?

ME: Yes ma’am, climbs like a safe, descends like a safe.

'nuff already

capt. megadeth said:
Let me just say that there are many things that have made me dislike people.
1. The continued sense of entitlement in this society has made me sick. I have seen it at both of my jobs (ie. "We are late, do we get a free ticket?" Ughhhh)
2. People are increasingly and consistently rude (ie. walking through the airport a few weeks ago I had a cup of tea. Some lady bumps into my elbow and I spill the hot tea all over my arm and burn myself. She looks back, sees the entire thing, turns around and just keeps walking. No excuse me or sorry or anything)

I really do give you guys/gals credit that enjoy standing there greeting and/or saying hello and goodbye to people. Standing there all I think is: "I am glad I got to subsidize your vacation". I can't help it, I am cynical. When I say "sucking up", it is not meant negatively to the people that do it. Like I said, I give you a lot of credit. I personally can't stand it.

Maybe I do not come across as a people person on this board, but if you knew me, you would know that I am outgoing and very social. I just do not enjoy any type of job where you have to kiss arse.

I will not even start on the Chicago Express subject. What happened there completely screwed a lot of my friends and my fiancee. It has cost us a lot of money in addition to a lot of other things. All thanks to incompetence. The best part is that that incompetence is still being paid by ATA, meanwhile everyone else gets screwed. So am I bitter? YOU BETCHA!

Maybe you should become a farmer. You can raise lots of quiet plants that don't talk to you, and they'll love all of your excessive bullsh!t.

Geesh man, don't let your cynicism make you forget whose money it is in your paycheck. How is it that your passengers owe you an apology for your turd of a life?

Seriously man, go be a farmer. You're in the wrong industry. Unfortunately, I don't think guys like you have enough gumption to change jobs--it's more convenient to go around acting like somebody pissed in your wheaties, rather than to grab a pair and leave for a different job.

Juvat said:
Maybe you should become a farmer. You can raise lots of quiet plants that don't talk to you, and they'll love all of your excessive bullsh!t.

Geesh man, don't let your cynicism make you forget whose money it is in your paycheck. How is it that your passengers owe you an apology for your turd of a life?

Seriously man, go be a farmer. You're in the wrong industry. Unfortunately, I don't think guys like you have enough gumption to change jobs--it's more convenient to go around acting like somebody pissed in your wheaties, rather than to grab a pair and leave for a different job.

KG,
I believe "he" is a "she." Glad I chose cargo. I AM a people person; love observing them, but would hate never getting a break from them. To be frank, I enjoy her cynical viewpoints. Don't tell me you never bitched about "the man" keeping you down during your time in the Air Farce (sic). My personal fave is to just blame everything, from stubbing my toe to not being a millionaire, on "those b@stards." :)

P.S. Is it too late to turn this into a mil vs civ thread?

hoya saxa said:
P.S. Is it too late to turn this into a mil vs civ thread?

Not at all. But I'm with Juvat and SWAdude with this one. Megadeath wouldn't even have qualified for a cargo job if it wasn't the PAX. There wouldn't even be an airline industry if it wasn't for the PAX.

My experience is that there were far, far more great PAX than the sour ones. The sour ones unfortunately are more noticeable.

Latest resources

Back