Top Schools

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
added opinion

I would have to second the opinion of people who favor state schools for thier quality versus price. Riddle has its nice points, but cost somtimes seems to disperse that value of those. Purdue, U os North Dakota, and W Michigan has very good programs. But it again comes down to whats important to you. UND has amazing facilities, a top notch fleet combined with great camopus resourses. Purdue provides oprotunityies in thier 727 sim and lets you get a FE. West Mich, has a very strong faculty. Everywhere has its ups and downs just take the time to find out what suits your needs, andpoket book best.

Re: added opinion

DASHDRIVER said:
I would have to second the opinion of people who favor state schools for thier quality versus price.

Why do you insist on this attitude you can't get quality instruction outside Purdue, UND and Riddle?? DAHSDRIVER, that was one of the most closed-minded statements I've read in a long time. Guess what?? There's life in aviation training OUTSIDE these schools!!

I'm not saying these schools are bad, I'm just saying there's other options. These are the big name schools. That's fine and they do a good job, but a newbie to our industry needs to know they don't HAVE to attend these schools to receive QUALITY flight training. Just because private instruction (ie. FBO training) isn't Part 141 and rigid like what you guys when through doesn't mean it's bad training. I'm sure it's hard to believe since you didn't experience it, but it's true. I promise. :D

Clap or Crack?

I never said it wasn't possible to get a good education outside of a four year school. There is other ave's to get to the airlines or where ever. I was just stateing that these programs are of high quality at a lower price than some others and your still come out with a credited B.S. that could be used as a back up to a flying job too.

I can't resist this thread

Basically, you have to find a school that is right for your needs. Everyone has different goals, finances, and personal values. I will tell you that while FSI is well respected as a training center, it DOES NOT set the standard for all other schools, and to say that ERAU is the best out there is a shaky statement at best.

I have experience at 2 different local part 141 FBO's, ERAU, and a state university program. I will tell you that for me, I could not imagine having finished my training with either ERAU or the state University program. I went to ERAU for one semester and left because the semester cost me more than 6 grand! I also took some elective credits to finish my polisci degree form the flight program at ASU. Both programs were ridiculously expensive, over-bureaucratic, and were convinced that their excrement didn't stink. They had the attitude that is pretty much reviled outside of their own little dream world. I did a degree program totally outside of aviation while I finished my ratings at a local part 141 FBO. I then obtained full time instructor employment at the FBO while I finished my degree. I graduated college in 4 years with 1200 hours, 100 multi, and got my degree/ratings for MUCH MUCH less money than it would have cost me at either of the university programs. In addtion, I am on furlough, and working a decent job that I could not have gotten if I had an aeronautical science degree. It was probably a lot more work than a University program since my ratings didn't earn me any college credit, but I'd say it was well worth it.

One of my students did his private cert. with me and then went to ERAU. He was fed up with the attitude and bureaucracy after being in the AS program for a couple weeks. He still goes to ERAU, but changed his major and is doing his ratings at a local FBO in prescott where he is much happier.

I hope you find these experiences helpful, and I would encourage you to investigate all of the many options available to you before you choose the method by which you earn your career. I'll tell you one thing, you don't want to be trying to pay down $80,000 worth of debt on a regional airline pilot salary.

Re: added opinion

DASHDRIVER said:
I would have to second the opinion of people who favor state schools for thier quality versus price.

I'll quote what you said again. Read this again and tell me you aren't saying "state schools are higher quality." You didn't go through Part 61, so you have no idea. However, I did go to UND for one semester and decided it wasn't the program for me. I've seen both sides, and the Part 141 wasn't for me. Don't get all defensive about it.

Just out of curiousity, what kind of back up job can you get with a bachelor of science in aviation studies, let's say, if you lose your medical? My point is that getting a degree in something other than aviation is a good idea, and it's something for a newbie to consider. I'm sure others have done the same thing. It's not a dumb thing to do.

I got my private through a pt.61 FBO, i am now enrolled at northwestern state which is a 141. it simply depends on what you like. personally i like 61 more, but i still enjoy 141. there seems to be more b.s.... alot more b.s. when going through 141 but i thinks its well worth it; i seem to get more bang for my buck 141, however, in 61 its not nearly as regid and has a more relaxed approach. you can work as fast or as slow as you want in 61, if you have trouble with something you can go up with an instructor anytime, in 141 you are on a specific time slot. it simply depends on you.

Embry-Riddle is hands down the best of the best. The rigorous academic program along with the numerous internships and direct-hire programs are what makes it numero uno. UND may have a good program, but they don't even come close to ERAU.

just go to the safecon national flight team compitition if you wanna see who the best are. UND win last year, i think ERAU the year before that.

How can you guys possibly equate the best flight training and college education to who wins that silly little flying competition? I have a former student at UND and according to him, all of the guys on that flight team get made fun of. Sounds to me like they were the little guys that got beat up all the time on the playground.

Latest resources

Back