Top Schools

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
General Tso,

Your training plan is the right idea except it won't work at Riddle. I have a two year degree in general studies from an accredited school. I decided that I probably should finish up and get my four year degree so I contacted the local satellite campus of Riddle to see what it would cost. At the time I already was a CFII, MEI and had about 1200 dual given. They gave me 36 hours credit for my flight time and certificates. So far so good. I figured my two year degree plus basically a year credit for ratings and I'll have to do about a years worth of classes to get a BS in Aeronautical Science degree from ERAU. Maybe 40-45 credit hours tops. Wrong! Take my two year degree and add in the flight time credit of 36 hours and they still wanted me to do another 90 hours or so! Essentially they wanted me to do another three years of school. They gave me a grand total of 6 credit hours for all of my associate degree. My degree wasn't from Harvard but it was a legitimate accredited school. I knew that some classes may not have transferred but only 6 credit hours out of almost 70?!? It's all about the money.

Caveman:

I understand what your saying, and I am sure you are not the first to be shafted like that. ERAU is a school, but a business too. They want to make money. But, it is also a place where they are MANY ways around things. In my 4 years there, on several occasions I had to use non standard techniques to "get what I wanted" (since I am the customer).

To get around what happened to you, what you could do is apply and enroll in the school. Take a distance class or something (you may not have to take anything). Then, submit the paperwork for request to take off campus classes. They are probably A LOT more inclined to give you permission and then credit, then just give you the credit.

The bulk of the credit at ERAU is the aviation classes, and it is difficult to get credit for those. About 65 credits (this depends on your area of concentration, minors, etc.) of the 120 are aero sci classes, most of which you must take at ERAU.

The 6 credits deal sounds bogus, but typical. If you've got the BS diploma from ERAU, they are going some $$ from ya.

Wiggums:

The guard is one way, but I don't think it is the fastest way to the majors. I am not discounting it at all, I think it is a great option... but if your ultimate goal is the majors as quick as you can, I think your better of staying out of the military.

aero99: you are right. i stated what i was trying to say wrong. first off i am enrolled at a part 141 flight school. if you dont believe me visit www.nsula.edu look under aviation. second what i was trying to say is the paper work and b.s. is alot more at a 141 school, and you must under go stage checks before you procede to a different section of your syllabus. in 61 stage checks dont exsist, at least not where i trained. these stage checks must be taken with the chief flight instructor who, generally, is very busy and can be tough to schedule flights with, which can slow your training down signifigantly. and this might just be at nsu, but we get appointed a time slot at the begining of every semester.

OMG 32 posts in one day and counting thats gotta be a record.

Point blank! If you want an aviation education go to Riddle. If you want a college experience with women go somewheres else.

Your comment makes no sense!

Your comment makes no sense!

Geez

National Flight Team Meet??? I don't think I have ever heard of something so freakin gay... If I had seen them shuttin there engines down together, taxing in formation (youve got to be sh#ting me!) and struttin around the ramp like idiots, I would have busted a nut laughing at them! Its unbelievable what these kids are thinkin.. Anyway, to the original poster, get your tickets through a part 61 school and go to a good public university and get a degree that has nothing to do with aviation... trust me, ...my buddies that have kids in college and that are on furlough whish they had.... my .02

Generaltso,
You laid down some good advice on your previous post. However, as a Riddle grad myself, I'd really appreciate it if you spell-checked your posts before bragging about the fine quality of education you received at ERAU.

To everyone who recommends a non-aviation degree in the event of a furlough, I must say a college degree with no practical experience is next to worthless in today's market. I have furloughed buddies with business degrees driving a school bus. Granted, I wish I had more options now, but having another degree doesn't guarantee a job either.

Floyd,

That was no joke. Those Riddle guys taxied in formation all the way to the ramp, parked four abreast, and pulled the mixtures all at the same time so the engines quit simultaneously. It made me half ill. Then they paraded around the ramp in their pajamas that looked like a Navy flight suit. Give me a break. If Riddle turns you into a queer like them, I'm glad I had nothing to do with the school. However, I have three good friends from my airline that attended Riddle and none of them are like that. The three of them always made fun of the flying team guys. Rightfully so. On the other hand, I know many more people who attended Riddle and probably were on the flying team. We make fun of them now. I really don't like flying with 'em. Most of them came from the semen-hole at ERAU and can't fly the RJ to save their lives. As they say, if it doesn't kill you, it only makes you stronger. I have a new respect for the IOE check airmen who fly with these guys.

I remember my ASA interview well. They made us do precision landings, synchronized taxi, and drop flour bombs from the deck of the ATR sim. The Riddle and UND boys kicked my ass, boy howdy. Then we had an E6B spinning competition and they smoked me again. It was real humiliating.

Please tell me that those fight-team hot shots weren't wearing silk scarves....

Note to moderator: I think this entire thread should be moved to the YGSM! forum.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back