• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Top 10 List

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Radio calls that begin with, "And." I had an ole military aircraft commander that hated, "with ya." I didn't like much about him (ahh, he was alright after all these years), he was right on this one, as t-bone aptly mentioned.

This situation was semi annoying but doesn't happen enough for me to call it a pet peeve but did require extra transmissions. Fortuanatly enough for us we weren't in the middle of a rush.

to preface this, and those familiar with O'hare will be familiar....1st off, im on inbound ground.
I have an Eagle ERJ on Bravo between A11 and A12. Outbound has an Eagle ERJ coming out of the Hotel alley for A to head to T10,and an American MD80 on Alpha behind him. I told the Ealge on Bravo to cut in at Alpha 13 for the fox alley but to cross alpha behind the American MD80. His reply "Roger, we will pass beind company." Now im semi familiar with what regionals are owned by whom but for my clarification purposes I went back and said, "i want to verify you are going to cross alpha behind american." his response, Yeah, thats our company. Well, to alot of controllers they may not know that and probably don't care. Why couldn't he have just responded they way I said it, "cross alpha behind the american Md80." He actually sounded really dumb when he was trying to sound cool and we don't have time to play 20 questions. "Cross behind the american md80".......a simple "roger" would have been fine but "we will cross behind company" only adds to confusion due to the fact that the plane in front of the american MD80 was an Eagle ERJ. Not like if he had cut off american there would be a ground collision, it is possible, but I don't get what point he was trying to make. Waste of transmissions in the process. Next time i hear that, im going to change the route on the guy to head up to alpha 21 and double back as to be clear that the only thing I have to dodge now is spirit and delta which I doubt will be called company

"Cross behind the american md80".......a simple "roger" would have been fine but "we will cross behind company" only adds to confusion due to the fact that the plane in front of the american MD80 was an Eagle ERJ. Not like if he had cut off american there would be a ground collision, it is possible, but I don't get what point he was trying to make.

I do.

I'm not a controller, but my peeve is pilots who change frequency and immediately click the microphone and start talking.

Does the term "with you" when checking on for the first time get obnoxious? I don't know why guys use it...the very fact that you are checking in with that controller is informing said controller that you're on board. Saying "with you" is just as good as saying "Here I am...I'm here"

What does "with you" accomplish that "Denver, N12345, FL400" doesn't?

I know that pet peeves don't have to be based in logic, most probably are not, but by this line of reasoning why say anything at all?

"Denver, N12345, FL400".....well, they know that they're Denver; they don't need to hear that. They know who and where you are; they already accepted the hand off.

I'm just saying.....

Now, riddle me this: Why check in at all?

Okay, here's another one:
Pilots who switch to ramp tower while still on the taxiways....and are simply, for my seperation needs, gone.

Now, riddle me this: Why check in at all?
I dunno, perhaps because somewhere in the FAR/AIM it says you have to? "N12345, FL400" is probably about the bare minimum to get the point across, but isn't use of the agency's name and full call sign part of the initial call requirement? I'd be surprised if the words "with" and "you" are ever used as a phrase in any part of the FAR/AIM.

And I agree with the guy that mentioned those that just flip the switch and start talking on the new frequency...9 times out of 10 they end up stepping all over a conversation that was already in progress. What's the rush? Take another bite of your lunch, get a feel for what's going on, and then make the call when it sounds like there's a break!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back