Top 10 List

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

2ndGenPSA

As a pilot, I would like to know what would make the Controller Top-10 list of things pilots do that piss off controllers.

I am thinking of making a hand-out for initial training at my airline.

As a pilot, I would like to know what would make the Controller Top-10 list of things pilots do that piss off controllers.

We have the traffic on our fish finder might be one for starters.

ATC: "XXX say speed."

XXX: "Mach .78"

ATC: "XXX say indicated airspeed."

Speed = IAS

Mach Number = mach number

NUMBER ONE...Multiple radio calls and then after 3 or more they come on and say "Are you calling XXX276"?
Especially in the Terminal environment, Tracon and TWR.
When you are talking to APP or DEPT, unless there is fire, flood, famine, locust's etc, there should be no reason to miss radio calls.

1)Incomplete required readbacks, specifically those regarding runway hold short instuctions!
2)Poor situational awareness.
3)Rolling to the end of the runway when youre at taxi speed and roll past 2 or 3 available exits (AAL are you listening?)

my pet peeve now is the pilot with the headset mic in his mouth

the pilot requesting clearence with the ac microphone and getting nothing but loud high pitches squeels. Really does wonders for the ears let me tell you

and the number one, and not sterotyping here but its 99.9% regional pilots, the guys who talk with the raspy low tone, im pilot god blah blah blah, grounnnnnnnd airshuttle #### clear of 28 for Foxxxxx fooour....... Drives me nuts....

I agree with all of the above.

Not paying attention to radio calls.
Side-tone squeal when using A/C mic.
Not using call-sign, only flight number.
Mumbling.
Getting frustrated with controllers (they're taking care of us!)
Slow implementation of ATC instructions (half-bank turns, 500fpm descents, etc.)

To name a few.

Does the term "with you" when checking on for the first time get obnoxious? I don't know why guys use it...the very fact that you are checking in with that controller is informing said controller that you're on board. Saying "with you" is just as good as saying "Here I am...I'm here"

What does "with you" accomplish that "Denver, N12345, FL400" doesn't?

"American's 69", "Delta's 666", "Your airline name here plus 's"...it is a radio call, not a PA announcement. And God bless those low cost heroes out there flyin those standups or getting reserve assignments or JA-you can use the apostrophe S, if ya want! Happy New Year!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back