• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Top 10 List

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I know that pet peeves don't have to be based in logic, most probably are not, but by this line of reasoning why say anything at all?

"Denver, N12345, FL400".....well, they know that they're Denver; they don't need to hear that. They know who and where you are; they already accepted the hand off.

I'm just saying.....

Now, riddle me this: Why check in at all?
And the long moments of silence, and after the 3rd check-in, ya get, "I was on the other line." And they probably were, but I always think, "I woulda said that too." Because they ain't always on the other line, but it works. We're all human.

This situation was semi annoying but doesn't happen enough for me to call it a pet peeve but did require extra transmissions. Fortuanatly enough for us we weren't in the middle of a rush.

to preface this, and those familiar with O'hare will be familiar....1st off, im on inbound ground.
I have an Eagle ERJ on Bravo between A11 and A12. Outbound has an Eagle ERJ coming out of the Hotel alley for A to head to T10,and an American MD80 on Alpha behind him. I told the Ealge on Bravo to cut in at Alpha 13 for the fox alley but to cross alpha behind the American MD80. His reply "Roger, we will pass beind company." Now im semi familiar with what regionals are owned by whom but for my clarification purposes I went back and said, "i want to verify you are going to cross alpha behind american." his response, Yeah, thats our company. Well, to alot of controllers they may not know that and probably don't care. Why couldn't he have just responded they way I said it, "cross alpha behind the american Md80." He actually sounded really dumb when he was trying to sound cool and we don't have time to play 20 questions. "Cross behind the american md80".......a simple "roger" would have been fine but "we will cross behind company" only adds to confusion due to the fact that the plane in front of the american MD80 was an Eagle ERJ. Not like if he had cut off american there would be a ground collision, it is possible, but I don't get what point he was trying to make. Waste of transmissions in the process. Next time i hear that, im going to change the route on the guy to head up to alpha 21 and double back as to be clear that the only thing I have to dodge now is spirit and delta which I doubt will be called company
There-in lies the reason you need the Alpha 1 or 2 callsign. It gets 'em all out of the way.

I dunno, perhaps because somewhere in the FAR/AIM it says you have to? "N12345, FL400" is probably about the bare minimum to get the point across, but isn't use of the agency's name and full call sign part of the initial call requirement?

Okay, but why does the FAR/AIM direct us to do this at all?

And I have to ask, do you hate the use of "checking in" or "AT FL400"?

P.S. I hate the switch-talkers, too.

My pet peeve is repeated calls to Center, after five minutes they say sorry, I was on a land line.

This sounds like most of the senior guys at Comair. We have one guy that is from the north but when he talks on the radio he talks like hes' from Texas, to make it worse he does the switch talk move.

The Aussies have it right with datalink. Tho I love that smooth controlled accent from the ladies.

Guys that don't use "Flight Levels" when above FL180. "Twenty-Thousand" is annoying and incorrect. Also, when switching frequencies not giving any assigned headings, speeds and discretions...and then having to listen to ATC ask if we were assigned anything.

Joe Cool Pilot voice is bad as well. No need to lower your voice to try and sound like James Earl Jones on the radios.

Guys that don't use "Flight Levels" when above FL180. "Twenty-Thousand" is annoying and incorrect. Also, when switching frequencies not giving any assigned headings, speeds and discretions...and then having to listen to ATC ask if we were assigned anything.

Joe Cool Pilot voice is bad as well. No need to lower your voice to try and sound like James Earl Jones on the radios.
Good one! "Atlanta, I'M YOUR FATHER, at twenty-thousand." Happy New Year Stif!

If ATC were to call me 2-3 times and I told them I was on the other line, would they be pissed?

I hate it when there is a stuck mic on freq. and after a few minutes people start saying, "Stuck Mic" or something like that. If it's your mic that is stuck, you won't here anything--so when there's a stuck mic, why make the squeal by keying your own mic?

Latest resources

Back