• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Too cheap to run APU......

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
And as for climate control can't a GPU give you that as well?? Sorry I have only flown Learjets and they have Freon AC and an electric Aux heater.

Nope.....No freon. All air cycle machine in the Hawker.
Must have bleed air from one of the 3 sources,

And as for climate control can't a GPU give you that as well?? Sorry I have only flown Learjets and they have Freon AC and an electric Aux heater.

Nope, not on the Learjet 45 with an APU. Not even a fan will come on with a GPU. All air comes through the aircycle machine, thus you need an APU or engine running to move and condition air. Now if you didn't get the APU and got the Freon air on a 45 then you can plug in.

Even at AirTran we start up the APU prior to engine start. There are huffer carts available but they are a much slower and hotter start than the APU's air source.

In the summer, we had gate are to cool the plane (except MIA - go figure!). Works great unless one of our illustrious rampers attached it twisted and folded over on itself. See that a couple of times a trip.

The G's can also use a snorkel to provide APU air for start to another G. Did that once...different.

The boss expects the planes to be 72 degrees when they board.

We're also expected to be ready upon arrival. Starting when they board is not an option.

Especially since the FA have a lot to do back there and needs power.

Especially since the FA have a lot to do back there and needs power.

No kidding. Leaving the FA in the freezing cold or sweltering heat to prep for the trip is a sure way to get a coffee a la visine or have the crew food mysteriously left behind!

No kidding. Leaving the FA in the freezing cold or sweltering heat to prep for the trip is a sure way to get a coffee a la visine or have the crew food mysteriously left behind!

Ha ha, so true!

If the weather and cabin temp are moderate, I don't hesitate to operate ground power until just prior to engine start. Any temperature extremes... passenger comfort (and myself and crew's personal comfort) takes priority and that APU is gonna run!

I'd love to see an ultra driver pull up seeing a G hooked up to the fbo's only power cart while they are sweating their bag off.

APU's were built to be used and make noise.

I'd love to see an ultra driver pull up seeing a G hooked up to the fbo's only power cart while they are sweating their bag off.

BWAAAHAAAHAA!! :beer:

Latest resources

Back