• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Too cheap to run APU......

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'd be happy to see anyone forgo the APU for the GPU. Those damn things are loud as hell!

Yeah, but once you have one, it is one sweet sound. You can hardly hear it on the now heated and air conditioned flight deck while doing your preflight checks, even with the door open. It was 18 degrees the other morning, but nice and warm inside.

Last edited:
A number of places have limits on how long the APU can be run, and at what hours.

As a rule, we don't operate APU's if ground power is available, by company policy.

The GTC's (APU's) on our C-130's would wake the dead. Literally. We didn't run them any more than we had to, either.

Sometimes people just cant seem to think "outside" the box.......

There could be 99 reasons why an APU was not being used. Why the he11 do you care anyhow? :confused: It isn't your aircraft to worry about. But whatever....The world is chock full of people that can't mind their own biznass.

Last edited:
Um, I need it to start my air start engines
Thank you, sir! I was wondering when someone was going to mention that. I'm sure someone on here will tell you that you can use a huffer cart instead of the APU. It really is silly. We all have an opinion I guess. Our G has an APU, and we use it for what gulfstream designed it to do. I can remember the days of flying LR60s that the APU was a sore spot with other departments. Instead of being too cheap to use it, the MX staffs were just too lazy to fix it and put out guidelines on its proper operation. The D.O. before me wouldnt stand for that type of sh!t, and our APUs worked and made it to overhaul because of guidelines on operating it. These 60 operators who don't use it cause it's "broke" make me sick. If the MX guys can't or are unwilling to fix it, they should be let go.

And as for climate control can't a GPU give you that as well?? Sorry I have only flown Learjets and they have Freon AC and an electric Aux heater.

Latest resources

Back