Too cheap to run APU......

pushntin

Gear Up, Flaps 10.
Total Time
Talk about people cutting costs. I saw a GIII in PDK this week running off of ground power instead of the APU. Guess that 24 gallons an hour was just killing their operating cost.

mynameisjim

Don't try this at home
Total Time
Paycut
Sometimes, just to show people how rich I am, I burn the APU even when ground power is available.

blzr

Total Time
Or it could be past inspection. Ours is comming up next month, but we are no where near time limits.

Publishers

Total Time
I know ours had fuel problem and we had to use ground on a trip.

Cat3C

Total Time
enough
apu

Years ago I worked for a pt 91 operation in MKE that had a citation. One of my first trips with them I fired up the apu just like i had done for 1500 hours before with a previous operator. The Chief Pilot comes running out of the hanger to the plane like I am on fire or something. He says "What are you doing?" "With what?" I replied. "The APU - we don't use the APU".

Now keep in mind this company did a bunch of trips to Phoenix - think hot. So in the end, their pax get on hot dark airplanes. They also in their infinite wisdom did not use electric window heat because, "the windows are real expensive".

Whatever.

fu69atacafyeah

Total Time
Years ago I worked for a pt 91 operation in MKE that had a citation. One of my first trips with them I fired up the apu just like i had done for 1500 hours before with a previous operator. The Chief Pilot comes running out of the hanger to the plane like I am on fire or something. He says "What are you doing?" "With what?" I replied. "The APU - we don't use the APU".

Now keep in mind this company did a bunch of trips to Phoenix - think hot. So in the end, their pax get on hot dark airplanes. They also in their infinite wisdom did not use electric window heat because, "the windows are real expensive".

Whatever.

just like

"dont use the landing lights"

they will break the bank haha! these guys jump over dollars to save pennies...

landlover

Total Time
5000+
They also in their infinite wisdom did not use electric window heat because, "the windows are real expensive".

Whatever.
guess physics doesn't apply to "expensive windows".

USC***

Total Time
2 Much
Our company seems to like us to use the Ground Power to start the APU when we can on our CE750s. They think it prolongs the battery life. Don't know if this is true or not, but I usually follow orders when I can.

727gm

Total Time
12000+
I remember seeing young pilots kicking back in the Hawker at Scenic in Las Vegas, listening to CD's on the entertainment system, with the door open and the APU/ AC running 'cause the FBO was boring. (Before IPODS).

semperfido

Keep Humpin
Total Time
11K+
apu's and SAT TV are the best thing since sliced bread....hate, absolutely hate sitting in fbos :)

semperfido

Keep Humpin
Total Time
11K+
LOL, usually head to hotel, but occasionally it can't be helped. Sitting on our G550 is by far a better choice than a FBO crew lounge.

wrxpilot

The proud, the few
Total Time
-

Whatever.
Ha ha! One of the 135 operators I worked for took the sunscreens out of a king air so they wouldn't get broken. Guess what? They lost them! Some people just make you wonder...

X man

Total Time
apu

APU's are made to run, and the newer ones are very cost efficient. When your customer or owner is three hours late, updated every thirty minutes, you run the apu, end of story, especially in places like Phoenix or Riyadh in June. The money starts to flow as soon as the thrust levers go forward. Some people got the wrong idea years ago, and they have never been enlightened. But at the same time, if there is a mechanical with the apu. the GPU is your only option.

BoilerUP

Citation style...
Total Time
1500+
I guess I don't understand the "problem" of using ground power in lieu of the airplane's APU for electricity if there's no need to control the temperature in the cabin...especially if use of the GPU is free.

It saves a marginal amount of cost, and the GPU burns somewhat less fuel than an APU. Why isn't that a win-win?

400A

Total Time
The problem is that some judge others actions when they have no idea what the whole story is.

Another thought, if the GIII in question was under the canopy at Signature, it was courtesy. I love our APU, but under the canopy at PDK or even under the "Bra" at TPA, that thing is really loud.

Diesel

TEB Hilton resident
Total Time
What G apu isn't loud?

I mean when you can actually see the burner can you know there is no muffler.

say again

I love her ARSE!!!!
Total Time
Why worry about what other people do if it doesn't concern you?