• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Too cheap to run APU......

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
LOL, usually head to hotel, but occasionally it can't be helped. Sitting on our G550 is by far a better choice than a FBO crew lounge.

Years ago I worked for a pt 91 operation in MKE that had a citation. One of my first trips with them I fired up the apu just like i had done for 1500 hours before with a previous operator. The Chief Pilot comes running out of the hanger to the plane like I am on fire or something. He says "What are you doing?" "With what?" I replied. "The APU - we don't use the APU".

Now keep in mind this company did a bunch of trips to Phoenix - think hot. So in the end, their pax get on hot dark airplanes. They also in their infinite wisdom did not use electric window heat because, "the windows are real expensive".

Whatever.

Ha ha! One of the 135 operators I worked for took the sunscreens out of a king air so they wouldn't get broken. Guess what? They lost them! Some people just make you wonder...

apu

APU's are made to run, and the newer ones are very cost efficient. When your customer or owner is three hours late, updated every thirty minutes, you run the apu, end of story, especially in places like Phoenix or Riyadh in June. The money starts to flow as soon as the thrust levers go forward. Some people got the wrong idea years ago, and they have never been enlightened. But at the same time, if there is a mechanical with the apu. the GPU is your only option.

I guess I don't understand the "problem" of using ground power in lieu of the airplane's APU for electricity if there's no need to control the temperature in the cabin...especially if use of the GPU is free.

It saves a marginal amount of cost, and the GPU burns somewhat less fuel than an APU. Why isn't that a win-win?

The problem is that some judge others actions when they have no idea what the whole story is.

Another thought, if the GIII in question was under the canopy at Signature, it was courtesy. I love our APU, but under the canopy at PDK or even under the "Bra" at TPA, that thing is really loud.

What G apu isn't loud?

I mean when you can actually see the burner can you know there is no muffler.

Latest resources

Back