• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Today's Wallstreet Journal, page B3...Union Strong

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't understand that G4? Could you explain it to me? The being fair part? The upgrading of all the FO's. I don't understand how that is fair to the rest of us? Yes, I know you will probably say that happened before the integration, so it is what it is. The company sold you down the river to the union if that's the way you wanna look at it. So again, it is what it is, and here you are.

Just plain truth:

"The 4 piles offered by the Company allow for downgrades so guess who will be the first to feel that".

Semore:
Yes, there would be about a 120 Gulfstream guys downgraded before they get to me. So, I think this would be a pretty good time for the G-people to get on board with the rest of the union pilots.

I've only met 1 G-pilot that I thought was an idiot. She because she was a "fee payer". When I ask her why she did that she said that another Cpt told her too? Not to bright in my opinion. (I wonder what else the Cpt's told her to do on the road? She may have been a good time!)

But, these are the cards we are dealt. Fall in and support the union, fly the contract and make things better. Or, get downgraded (depending on your hire date) because you are so concerned about hurting the EMT's feelings. Your call?

May I also point out that as the largest fractional the other fractionals generally get wage increases based on how our contracts come out.

Fly the contract and above all, don't let the company endanger your life or livelihood.

Semore

I agree with your assertion that our frac competitors will get a raise if we do, but maybe not XOJet, and maybe not as big a raise. Also, our other competitors are the airlines, owners buying their own planes, and charter. I do so enjoy union flacks telling me to blame Santulli for throwing us under the bus. You guys forced him to do that. Thanks a lot. NJI was better in every way than NJA to fly for.

Semore,

You generally seem like a level headed thoughtful person, so I'm surprised by your viewpoint. In this case, it sounds like you actually know why it was fair and the right thing to do. As an outsider, I was pulling for all of the NJI FO's to get an early upgrade. NJASAP wanted to combine so they could take NJI's big airplanes for themselves. Very few from NJI wanted the merger back then, but NJASAP wanted to steal those G seats for themselves. The career expectation for pilots who met the qualifications and accepted positions at NJI was to upgrade into a Gulfstream. Pilots love to screw over other pilots, so NJASAP forced the integration that was not wanted by the NJI pilots, and some are still pissed they didn't get more of the prize for doing so.

You can argue that it worked out well for everyone, and that the NJI pilots are better off today. That might be true, but the NJI pilots wanted no part of the integration because they knew you wanted their seats. I'm glad they got to keep them. In my book, that's fair.

Yep, Semore is a good poster. Beer at the watering hole of both of y'all's choice some time would be fine.

Without the integration, the NJI guys would have been stuck on the Gulfstreams as they get phased out while all Global slots would be going to NJA pilots. So the NJI guys should feel fortunate that they get to keep their jobs as the Gulfstreams go away. As for career expectations, keep in mind that it was NJA pilots operating the BBJs, not NJI. The most important thing is we now have one pilot group flying under one brand - none of the whipsaw BS that we see in other segments of the industry.

I think it's much more likely NJI would have gotten the Globals, but it's a moot point. NJI is gone and their crews got what they got.

It really had nothing to do with "stealing" of seats as you say, but the recognition that the pilot group would be significantly stronger and more prevalent in negotiations with all pilots unionized! NJASAP saw how potentially damaging it could be if we had a non-unionized group that management would be able to pit against those pesky unionized pilots, the term whipsaw comes to mind. I suppose some of the "grassy knollers" might view it as a seat grab though!

I do understand and accept the whipsaw aspect, but if that was the only reason NJA guys wanted the forced integration, why are so many guys bothered about the upgrades? They had no effect on your salary or position except that the the G seats did not open up to the NJA guys. I find you argument at least in part disingenuous.

I think it's much more likely NJI would have gotten the Globals, but it's a moot point. NJI is gone and their crews got what they got.

Contractually prohibited for NJI to have anything but GIV and GV.

They had no effect on your salary or position except that the the G seats did not open up to the NJA guys. I find you argument at least in part disingenuous.

Actually they did have an effect, we have G captains junior to NJA fo's which was a result of the upgrades you speak of, myself included. I personally don't get hung up on that aspect as I feel it more important that we only have to contend with a contentious negotiating environment between NJASAP and management rather than that plus a non-union group being pitted against us!

Actually they did have an effect, we have G captains junior to NJA fo's which was a result of the upgrades you speak of, myself included. I personally don't get hung up on that aspect as I feel it more important that we only have to contend with a contentious negotiating environment between NJASAP and management rather than that plus a non-union group being pitted against us!

Yes, but they're in the G fleet which was not part of NJA prior to the integration. You had NO chance to upgrade into one of those planes prior to integration so what have you lost? Consider it the price of getting what you wanted. Also, consider the alternative. The NJI FO's would have been deeply screwed if they hadn't been upgraded.

Yeah, "X" and I pmed, seems like a "good Joe".

We don't agree on it being fair for the "G" guys to go to the Global.

Even G-4 seems to realize (And boy! He's a hardhead) that the present EMT is trashing our company, really, it's not the union.

The EMT didn't make this company, the pilots did. But, the EMT can certainly ruin it. They don't give a rat %&*k about anybody but themselves.

If any of us are gonna get through this we have to band together. Like the union, hate it, it's our only chance.

Take care, Semore

Latest resources

Back