Today is a very important day!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
thanks,I feel a little better.

but if i were one of those affected i would be screaming at somebody, there is enough problems with identity theft as it is, and TSA leaving a open door is insane

Believe me every flight school owner screamed about this. I don't want to sound too political but they were interested in window dressing security measures.

This might be the most idiotic thread ever....

As an American citizen, born to immigrant parents, and having lived and worked, in Europe for two years, I find this entire thread commical. The rules and laws since 9/11 have not made the US any safer at all. They have taken away certain civil liberties. Immigration in this country is a joke. Let's make it as hard as possible for an immigrant that wants to come to this country, work hard, pay taxes...you know, contribute to our society, and then let's just let millions of undocumented, illegal immigrants flow accross our borders every year. Makes no sense at all. Is it a pain in the butt to fill out the paper work, jump through the various hoops, on both sides of the Atlantic, in order to be legal and work there? Yes it is. Probably more so on this side of the Atlantic though.

I have found that it is usually the American that has not spent a lot of time overseas that usually has the "f-you, if you are not a citizen, don't bother me" attitude when it comes to foreign nationals working and living in the States. Anyway, let's all grow up, there is a much bigger world out there than the US.

flyingtoist

are safeguards to identity getting better? or is the isuebeing ignored

1-0

tlax25 said:
As an American citizen, born to immigrant parents, and having lived and worked, in Europe for two years, I find this entire thread commical. The rules and laws since 9/11 have not made the US any safer at all. They have taken away certain civil liberties. Immigration in this country is a joke. Let's make it as hard as possible for an immigrant that wants to come to this country, work hard, pay taxes...you know, contribute to our society, and then let's just let millions of undocumented, illegal immigrants flow accross our borders every year. Makes no sense at all. Is it a pain in the butt to fill out the paper work, jump through the various hoops, on both sides of the Atlantic, in order to be legal and work there? Yes it is. Probably more so on this side of the Atlantic though.

I have found that it is usually the American that has not spent a lot of time overseas that usually has the "f-you, if you are not a citizen, don't bother me" attitude when it comes to foreign nationals working and living in the States. Anyway, let's all grow up, there is a much bigger world out there than the US.
You are absolutely correct in your statement. Some people tend to forget that once upon a time their ancestors where immigrants as well. Good for them that they didn’t get discouraged by people telling them to piss of because they are not citizens. I find it quit amusing when people start telling me how easy it is to go to the States and stay there. It takes on average of 6/12 months (if your from western Europe that is) to get a restricted work permit (H visa). You’ll need all qualifications need for the job + some extra stuff (like an extra degree or whatever).

Great! Now you got your H visa. This allows you to work for one company (it’s not allowed to switch companies), pay tax in 2 countries, not being eligible for social benefits (like food stamps!) and shut up.

Fair enough for me! I consider myself blessed with that opportunity. After 3 years your lawyer (you’ll need one, because it way to complicated to get your own visa paperwork done) will have to file for an extension of you work permit. If your lucky you’ll get one, if not your out!

Then after 6 years you can start applying for a green card, witch will take an additional 3 years to get it. If you get on at all !

Then after 8 years you can apply for citizenship. Again, this doesn’t mean you’ll get it!

Meanwhile (now this does piss me off) ten thousands of illegal Mexicans cross the border every month! They don’t bring anything to this country (other then manual - illegal - labor). They get a driving license, and even freaking food stamps!

Back in Europe there are several American citizens working for KLM, British Airways, SAS etc etc. As far as I’m concerned they are more then welcome. But get this, KLM, BA etc etc sponsored them for their work permits, and validated their license. Let me tell ya, there is no way on earth any us airline will sponsor a non citizen for a US work permit. Better, some companies won’t even look at ya with a green card ! (like American Eagle) How is this fair after busting your ass off for 6/8 years?

Flame away…

Regards,
FD

Yes it is hard to get ahead while playing by the rules, and there is the definte possiblity of not getting a green card/citizenship. But if you don't jump through the hoops you will never get the position tht you have earned (aviation career). If you want to be illegal alien, do manual labor for cash and have no legal rights, but you get a drivers liscense and food stamps. Not what I would call a fair trade. By the way most of us are the sons and daughters of immigrants, but how many of our fore-fathers were trying to get jobs in the most respected professions of their time.

I hear ya.

Flyingdutchman said:
You are absolutely correct in your statement. Some people tend to forget that once upon a time their ancestors where immigrants as well. Good for them that they didn’t get discouraged by people telling them to piss of because they are not citizens. I find it quit amusing when people start telling me how easy it is to go to the States and stay there. It takes on average of 6/12 months (if your from western Europe that is) to get a restricted work permit (H visa). You’ll need all qualifications need for the job + some extra stuff (like an extra degree or whatever).

Great! Now you got your H visa. This allows you to work for one company (it’s not allowed to switch companies), pay tax in 2 countries, not being eligible for social benefits (like food stamps!) and shut up.

Fair enough for me! I consider myself blessed with that opportunity. After 3 years your lawyer (you’ll need one, because it way to complicated to get your own visa paperwork done) will have to file for an extension of you work permit. If your lucky you’ll get one, if not your out!

Then after 6 years you can start applying for a green card, witch will take an additional 3 years to get it. If you get on at all !

Then after 8 years you can apply for citizenship. Again, this doesn’t mean you’ll get it!

Meanwhile (now this does piss me off) ten thousands of illegal Mexicans cross the border every month! They don’t bring anything to this country (other then manual - illegal - labor). They get a driving license, and even freaking food stamps!

Totally agree with you. My instructor had been living in the US for 10 plus years on H visa. Only bcos the flight school have a lot of foreign student he was able to obtain H visa. Now he has 10000+ hours instruction time but he is stuck in that position. That's a lot of dues paid.

Latest resources

Back