• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

To all NetJets Hopefuls...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
For the newhires that are complaining about the domiciles.....why did you take the job if you knew ahead of time what the story was?

Valid points. However, aviation jobs are all about seniority. This is why Skybus and VA will have no problem getting pilots to fly A-320s for $65,000.

Valid points. However, aviation jobs are all about seniority. This is why Skybus and VA will have no problem getting pilots to fly A-320s for $65,000.

Seniority is an issue, but if you don't like the job or the work rules and plan on leaving anyway, what does it matter? The guys willing to fly an A320 for $65,000 will be complaing about it in 6 months time and of course, it will be someone else's fault.

I've been commuting for 7 months now, 3hrs. 40 minutes one way and it's not
bad at all. I call friends, family and tenants on the drive there and back.
It's only two times per month. If I had a 9to5 job, I'd be doing more driving.

I truly feel bad for the new-hires that have to drive several hours to and from their domicile. I have a good friend who got hired last year and has to drive 300 miles each way to work. Before he even sent in a resume, we talked at length about the domicile issue among others. He made his decision to come to NJA and hasn't griped about his drive. He knew what he was getting into and he also knows that there isn't likely to be any change to the domicile debacle for several years.

Truly, I do feel for the guys who have to drive hundreds of miles or buy airline tickets, but it was their decision alone to accept the job. No one should accept a job at NJA based on a hope and a prayer that the domicile debacle will go away any time soon. One can roll the dice and hope that it does but don't be ticked off in the mean time. Of course, if the domicile issue does change, I'd bet that there will be quite a rush to get hired at NJA so the people who rolled the dice during the "debacle time" will have that many more pilots junior to themselves.

My sim partner moved to his domicle and others are considering it. Most of those who are doing so seem to have come for the regionals and have done the commute thing.

It cost me ~ $200 to get to "commute" to DAL and back from CRP for my inital FSI class. So in round numbers, I'll waste about 5 days of per diem each trip, plus another in a hotel the night before day one. OUR CHOICE to stay in CRP for another year while my wife finishes grad school. Then we'll move closer to the domicle. Granted, I have a retirement check coming in from the Navy and can after to buy tickets for the commute, but what I didn't want to be doing was commuting on a jump seat (too much uncertainty) to a crash pad (sounds too much like det) waiting for the phone to ring. Every airline has some sort of base, at least here I can exercise some control over the commute and plan my life once on the 7n7 schedule when finished with training.

Every airline or job has some sort of pain the first year or so. One chooses their posion. The benefits here are great, the people are great, the equipment is great, and the flying will be great. Do I like the domicile system? No, but I knew what I was getting into. Do I hope it will change? Yes. Will I jump in and help the union continue to make things better? Yes. After listening to my classmates horror stories of the 121 world, I feel like I chose wisely. Thank you IBT 1108.

And keep up the cheerleading effort NJW.

My 2 cents,

I suggest next time your new hire partner starts bitching about home basing you tell him how you feel and ask that he talk about something else. I have discussed and not complained about this issue with everyone I have flown with and random guys in the pilot lounge and not one has suggested we keep things the way they are. Infact most admit it was a huge mistake to vote in an issue that will divide the pilot group.

The issue does not just involve new hires who are now unhappy commuters. It also involves seniority, bidding, and relocation, which none of you HAVES have mentioned because to you it is simple. I HAVE the new guys don't but they new it to begin with. Remember we are your brothers to and you were also new at one point. Think about the guys in DAL that may never get an upgrade because the company wants all new captains in CMH. Think about the guy whose wife gets transfered to Denver, and now he must resign his seniority and start at the bottom somewhere else. Anyone on property who doesn't think we should afford everyone on property the same opportunities is no brother of mine and will be treated as such.

Last edited:
This has been a really interesting and informative thread. Thanks for the information. I am waiting for a DAL interview and have considered moving to CMH if I had to. But I had no idea how long upgrade could be. Anyways, thanks for the good read.

Wankel

I suggest next time your new hire partner starts bitching about home basing you tell him how you feel and ask that he talk about something else. I have discussed and not complained about this issue with everyone I have flown with and random guys in the pilot lounge and not one has suggested we keep things the way they are. Infarct most admit it was a huge mistake to vote in an issue that will divide the pilot group.

The issue does not just involve new hires who are now unhappy commuters. It also involves seniority, bidding, and relocation, which none of you HAVES have mentioned because to you it is simple. I HAVE the new guys don't but they new it to begin with. Remember we are your brothers to and you were also new at one point. Think about the guys in DAL that may never get an upgrade because the company wants all new captains in CMH. Think about the guy whose wife gets transfered to Denver, and now he must resign his seniority and start at the bottom somewhere else. Anyone on property who doesn't think we should afford everyone on property the same opportunities is no brother of mine and will be treated as such.

I completely agree with you, and have not met a single soul who actually thinks this is a good thing for the new hires. However you MUST remember that the negotiating committee had us vote on a proposal that provided for MY family a substantial pay raise, HBA, scope, 401k, benefits, etc... You negotiate for the group, but vote for yourself.

What would you have done in my shoes? I voted yes, and am still glad I did. I helped secure a stable future for my wife and kids, and if I could do it all over again I would still vote yes.

If you would like HBA, I support getting the knowledge out to NJA prospects. Let them know what they are up against. If NJA comes upon a staffing problem (which hasn't been the case. I guess we have a good contract if so many want to work with us :rolleyes: ) management might open up more domiciles.

I'll start now. If you are thinking about coming to NJA, here are the facts:

1) You WILL be put into 1 of 5 domiciles and will be responsible to get to and from that domicile on YOUR OWN DIME. TEB, CMH, PBI, DAL, LAX.

2) Domiciles are probably not going to go away until the next round of negotiations

3) A person hired today can expect to upgrade in 3 to 5 years.

4) The most base pay a First Officer at NJA can expect to see is in the high $40k's

If this is acceptable to you, then come aboard. NetJets is a great place to work. If not, go to Citation Shares.

Respectfully,

86 Newhires have already voted with their feet over the Domicile issue.

Enjoy the free type rating and no training contract!! ;)

Latest resources

Back