• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Tipping the Van driver....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This thread is a joke.. It's almost as rediculous as the "captain didn't use his cell phone to talk to dispatch thread.."

If you tip.. cool..
If you don't tip.. cool..

If the driver doesn't touch my bag, I don't touch my wallet.. He's getting paid - be it minimum wage or not - to drive me to my hotel/airport. That is his JOB. Do you tip the ticket agents, the ramp personel, the TSA folks after searching your bag? What about the cash register worker in the gas station or perhaps the lil' 16 year old girl behind the counter at Wal-Mart? The only people who DESERVE tips are people who work for tips.. waiters/waitresses, etc.. - they WORK FOR TIPS..

If you guys wanna jump on me about not tipping - do it.. but only do it AFTER you start tipping EVERYONE who provides you a service.. Do any of you tippers send the owners of this message board a "tip" to help pay for the server, etc?

dispatcher121 said:
OK I'll be the first give the van driver a tip when I travel afterall they make minimum wage.

However, tipping crew schedulers is uncalled for. Heck our crew scheduler make more than we do! There are two crew schedulers to one dispatcher. Who cares about the safety of the airline when you have crew schedulers right???

The crews are always bringing them cookies, cakes, krispy kremes, flowers, etc. It's a virtual buffet over there. <shakes head in disgust>

You've got to be kidding me. People are actually tipping our schedulers? "Hey Ryan, thanks for the abuse! Here's a 10-spot for your trouble. Keep it up, only next time use a bigger stick!"

Tram said:
If you guys wanna jump on me about not tipping - do it.. but only do it AFTER you start tipping EVERYONE who provides you a service.. Do any of you tippers send the owners of this message board a "tip" to help pay for the server, etc?

Certian service jobs in the USA are tip worthy (waiters, sky caps, door man, taxi/van driver) and others are not. I didn't invent the rules, I just follow them.

-9Capt said:
Certian service jobs in the USA are tip worthy (waiters, sky caps, door man, taxi/van driver) and others are not. I didn't invent the rules, I just follow them.

Yes your right, I was being facetious.. However, I feel tips are often expected these days rather than earned.. If the guy earns his tip, he gets one..

You may see many people traveling leaving tips. Realize that many people traveling are doin so on business. Their tips come strait out of their expense account. Granted, a tip is a gesture of aknowledgement of personal service. However, I believe a large number of people traveling on business do not foot any of that bill on their their own shoulders. I know many people that travel on business... they are compensated very handsomly by their respective companies for their time traveling.

So for pilots - We are "on business." We are "at work." The only function of us being at the hotel is as an arm of the company. The van ride PERIOD is a byproduct of the JOB we are there doing.

I tip. I do not tip as custom, however. As mentioned, if the van driver is on time and goes out of their way to make it a pleasant experience (not only getting bags, but in a good demeanor and a positive) then I will give a dollar.

I know for fact, even the lowest van driver gets paid more than I do as a first year FO. I dont think tipping has anything to do with class. I am paid a wage that is almost impossible to live on. PERIOD. It has nothing to do with class if I cant just hand out "only $750" a year, Ty Webb. I'm sorry, Im lucky to spend $750 a year on groceries let alone cigars. For cryin out loud, you fail to make the distinction between you and someone just starting out. When I make 130, 150 or 200k a year, I will certainly be less judicious with my tipping. But for now I simply cant afford for the van driver to have the luxury.

Dont give me the excuse of "its covered in your perdiem." This is flawed on SO many fronts. I rely on my perdiem as an income source, just as you defend the driver's reliance on our tips as an income source. Perdiem is a monetary aknowledgement of the time you spend away from home. Do I spend more than $36 a day (my company's daily perdiem calculated at 1.50/hr) on food while away? Of course not. Is my time at home on my off day worth $36 to me, of course. Its worth far more!

To take this one more step... I have actually been scolded by a capatin I was flying with for leaving a tip. He tipped the guy, and was very surprised that I followed. He basically told me to save every penny I earn and that he knows how much I make.

Tipping will come with more discressionary income someday down the road, but for now I have to afford to put food on my table and pay my own rent. Im sure the van driver will be just fine.

Last edited:
Ty Webb said:
[/b]

Even AirTran flight attendents can afford to tip. . . . . If you can't cough up a buck for the van driver, you need to find a new job.

Hey Mr. Big...with that mouth, I hope you are tipping $5.00 a bag.

Some of the van drivers we see week in and week out. They are usually there on time and have water for us. Always grab the bags and have a smile on their faces. Hell, I think one married one of our F/A's. Those guys and gals get a tip. A tip is commiserate with service. A tip is not guaranteed, in ANY service position.

The ones that kill me are the large bus drivers in LAX or SFO. They take 20 people to the airport twice an hour. Think about it. Then give your FO some sh*t for not giving a tip. I think not!

Rez O. Lewshun said:
FAs shouldn't tip. They make less than FOs. Perhaps Capts should for them in Express/regional domestic flying.....

I've flown with many a flight attendant that make twice what I do.

I'm tired of all this nonsense about "why did you take the job if it pays so little." Where else do you start?!!? Where did YOU work for when you first started? How much did YOU work for?

-9Capt you talk about making $17 an hour back in '96. Newsflash, its almost 10 years later and first year FO pay hasnt hardly moved up from that.

I am surving on $21k a year. I do not feel I live out of my means. However, I am not going to sacrifice the small amount of discressionary income I have just to act "classy" in front of a hotel van driver. Give me a break.

As I said in my previous post - I am not at all opposed to tipping the van driver. I definately do so on a semi regular basis. But this notion that it is customary regardless of service level is absolute hogwash.

Tram said:
Do any of you tippers send the owners of this message board a "tip" to help pay for the server, etc?

Actually yes. Twice. It was a bit more than a "tip", by the way. How much did YOU send in to help pay for the server, etc?

Me too. I know LOTS of us did. We had a fundraising drive and the loyal members all contributed.

Latest resources

Back