Tipping the Van driver....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yank McCobb said:
Actually yes. Twice. It was a bit more than a "tip", by the way. How much did YOU send in to help pay for the server, etc?

Well firstly, I'm not the one making the firm stand on tipping.. I asked the "you must tip" people this question.. I'm not a big tipper.. I'm not making a firm stand on "you must tip." I am quite happy to not tip - when the tippee doesn't earn it..

However, I have not sent any in to the website as of yet - right now, this website is better for a laugh than to glean any real HELPFUL knowledge of the aviation industry, too many worthless threads such as these to wade through. :) When and if this website becomes a productive tool for me, yeh, I would love to send some in.. I make $800 a month - so don't expect any tips from me anytime soon.. When/if I get to where I am able to just hand money out, I will do so..

Last edited:
Even as a broke-ass college student & CFI, I contributed $10 to this board. I know it was a pittance compared to some, but I made my contribution nonetheless. It would have gone to beer or Starbucks probably anyway, and the contacts I have made and the help I have received has been well worth the investment.

I was stuck at ORD Monday trying to get into SDF standby on United, but weather delays had everything screwed up. I had gotten bumped off 2 flights, and it wasn't looking very good for the last two - and O'Hare had run out of rental cars! I asked a gate agent if he could put me on a flight into IND (closer and they at least had rental cars), and without any begging or pleading got me a seat assignment. I should have tipped him; he had been screamed at all day by pissed off pax and somehow found it in him to help me out. When I got into IND a friend offered to fly in and pick me up. I called Raytheon and they sent an employee over in a courtesy car to pick me up. I offered the driver a buck, and she told me she didn't want it as she "got paid either way". I told her I knew it wasn't much, but I was very appreciative for the ride and maybe she could get a coke or something with it. They treated me like a king at that place until my buddy arrived, going above the typical excellent IND Raytheon service.

In my limited experience i've found its often the gesture, not necessarily the amount, that really matters to someone. I don't tip by habit (except in restaurants) but I try to be generous to those that really help me out. I think if you *really* can't afford a tip its one thing, but its entirely another to refuse to tip because you are cheap. Everybody's situation is different...

All of you need to go to a place like Australia and see how they tip people down under. We need to adopt those rules here in the US.

approach down to min's in a snow covered runway...where's our tip??

I know for fact, even the lowest van driver gets paid more than I do as a first year FO. I dont think tipping has anything to do with class. I am paid a wage that is almost impossible to live on. PERIOD.

Well, buddy, that is your decision. I could start a whole new string about your decision to work for less than a hotel van driver (and what that does to our industry) but that has been done before . . . . I did not go to a regional for exactly that reason. I guess we all make our choices.

You guys can justify it any way you want, but a tip is customary, and if you guys can't even cough up a buck, you probably need to find another job. Have some self-respect, for crying out loud.

It's pretty clear that trying to explain this to some of you is like trying to teach a pig to sing, so we'll just have to leave it at that.

Oink, Oink, anyone?

Lets face it, There are certain workers where it is customary to leave a tip and a Shuttle Driver who throws your bags and gives you a ride is one of them. The people who lack class and are too cheap to leave them a buck are the same people who stiff the Pizza Delivery Man, the attendant who Valet parks their car and the Barber who cuts their hair. They are the same people who will never tip above and beyond 15% for an outstanding waiter/waitress. The cheap and classless individuals can try to justify it all they want but it simply boils down to the fact that they lack class and are cheap.

Crizz said:
You may see many people traveling leaving tips. Realize that many people traveling are doin so on business. Their tips come strait out of their expense account. Granted, a tip is a gesture of aknowledgement of personal service. However, I believe a large number of people traveling on business do not foot any of that bill on their their own shoulders. I know many people that travel on business... they are compensated very handsomly by their respective companies for their time traveling.

So for pilots - We are "on business." We are "at work." The only function of us being at the hotel is as an arm of the company. The van ride PERIOD is a byproduct of the JOB we are there doing.

I tip. I do not tip as custom, however. As mentioned, if the van driver is on time and goes out of their way to make it a pleasant experience (not only getting bags, but in a good demeanor and a positive) then I will give a dollar.

I know for fact, even the lowest van driver gets paid more than I do as a first year FO. I dont think tipping has anything to do with class. I am paid a wage that is almost impossible to live on. PERIOD. It has nothing to do with class if I cant just hand out "only $750" a year, Ty Webb. I'm sorry, Im lucky to spend $750 a year on groceries let alone cigars. For cryin out loud, you fail to make the distinction between you and someone just starting out. When I make 130, 150 or 200k a year, I will certainly be less judicious with my tipping. But for now I simply cant afford for the van driver to have the luxury.

Dont give me the excuse of "its covered in your perdiem." This is flawed on SO many fronts. I rely on my perdiem as an income source, just as you defend the driver's reliance on our tips as an income source. Perdiem is a monetary aknowledgement of the time you spend away from home. Do I spend more than $36 a day (my company's daily perdiem calculated at 1.50/hr) on food while away? Of course not. Is my time at home on my off day worth $36 to me, of course. Its worth far more!

To take this one more step... I have actually been scolded by a capatin I was flying with for leaving a tip. He tipped the guy, and was very surprised that I followed. He basically told me to save every penny I earn and that he knows how much I make.

Tipping will come with more discressionary income someday down the road, but for now I have to afford to put food on my table and pay my own rent. Im sure the van driver will be just fine.

If the van driver goes out of the way to make it a great experience you give
"a dollar"...

mighty nice of ya there pal...

what a loser.

I was told during IOE that the Captain tips on behalf of the entire crew. Which is fine with me. Then when I'm captain I'll gladly tip on behalf of my crew.

If I was on a vacation I would tip them. But.... I don't feel I need to be paying people to go to work. The company should pay the tip.

Icelandair said:
I was told during IOE that the Captain tips on behalf of the entire crew. Which is fine with me. Then when I'm captain I'll gladly tip on behalf of my crew.

If you think that a regional level capt. is going to tip $144.00 a month(min) for him/her and the crew to a van driver......I'll take two of what ever you are drinking.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back