Tipping the Van driver....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
viper548 said:
Forget the van driver, how much are people tipping at strip clubs?

Yeah b/c they show us things that we like to see!!

Ty Webb said:
[/b]

You either need a new accountant, or you need to stop working for free, because you most certainly have some tax liability, big guy.

Clarification:

I don't make enough on 2nd-year RJ FO pay with a family to have any state or federal tax liability. If you cannot comprehend this, you're as bad as all your passengers who also think I'm making $100,000+ just because I'm flying a jet.

The pay won't be this bad forever, but when I'm making captain pay, I still will not tip the van driver to do airline company business until and unless the day comes that the airline decides to reimburse me for tips. The hotel van is not a registered charity.

A sincere "thank you" is sufficient. I haven't seen anyone yet list any good reasons to tip the van driver for the drive to and from the hotel. If they, as a result of not tipping, do not flash me a winning smile or carry my bags to the curb for me, I'm perfectly fine with that. In fact, I would prefer that they simply step aside and let me take care of my own bags to remove all sense of expectation that I owe them anything more than they are already paid.

If I were going to spend my money to tip anyone for doing airline company business, it would be for the occasional ramper who busts his tail to get us out on time, or the occasional flight attendant who does her job exceptionally well. Hmmm. That's not allowed. We're not even supposed to give the rampers a snack or drink from the plane. I wonder why we should tip the van driver?

Your sense of nobles oblige has obviously led to condescension toward those who have a different philosophy than your own. You can tip all you want, but I will not be shamed into it because of your misguided notion that it is my duty. You choose your charities -- I'll choose mine. There are a lot of registered charities that could do far more good on a $1000/year than the van driver.

You guys that are complaining that a van driver makes more than you have only yourselves to blame . . . . why did you agree to take the job? We all had to start somewhere, but there are limits.

Let me guess . . . . can't scrounge up a buck because you're paying off your PFT loans?

propjockey said:
Clarification:

I don't make enough on 2nd-year RJ FO pay with a family to have any state or federal tax liability. If you cannot comprehend this, you're as bad as all your passengers who also think I'm making $100,000+ just because I'm flying a jet.

The pay won't be this bad forever, but when I'm making captain pay, I still will not tip the van driver to do airline company business until and unless the day comes that the airline decides to reimburse me for tips. The hotel van is not a registered charity.

A sincere "thank you" is sufficient. I haven't seen anyone yet list any good reasons to tip the van driver for the drive to and from the hotel. If they, as a result of not tipping, do not flash me a winning smile or carry my bags to the curb for me, I'm perfectly fine with that. In fact, I would prefer that they simply step aside and let me take care of my own bags to remove all sense of expectation that I owe them anything more than they are already paid.

If I were going to spend my money to tip anyone for doing airline company business, it would be for the occasional ramper who busts his tail to get us out on time, or the occasional flight attendant who does her job exceptionally well. Hmmm. That's not allowed. We're not even supposed to give the rampers a snack or drink from the plane. I wonder why we should tip the van driver?

Your sense of nobles oblige has obviously led to condescension toward those who have a different philosophy than your own. You can tip all you want, but I will not be shamed into it because of your misguided notion that it is my duty. You choose your charities -- I'll choose mine. There are a lot of registered charities that could do far more good on a $1000/year than the van driver.

The mindless ramblings of a pathetic lifetime loser. Just leave him to his misery.

And yes...the obvious reason I tip the van driver is to "show off". GMAFB. Talk about pathetic. To even have a mind (if you want to call it that) to come up with such crap is unimaginable. But I guess there will always be at least one. I'm just glad it's you. Someone I'll never have to cross paths with professionally.

Spare me the insight into your hardships. We've ALL been there in some form at some time. Including those "charity case" van drivers.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
No, you arrogant [insert profanity here]. You don't merit this peek into my private life, but for the benefit of others reading this thread, I will say this:

You see 1900 on my profile and probably think Gulfstream. Not so. I do not have any PFT loans. I did not PFT. I do have a wife, four children, a car payment, utility bills, and $50,000+ still due in student loans from attending graduate school. I left a good paying desk job prior to Sept 11 because I yearned to do what my dad did (fly 747s across the pond). I was on track to do it soon when Osama and his buddies dealt us all a blow. My desk job wasn't there to go back to. During the ensuing 11-month furlough I looked diligently for other employment outside of aviation while working two part-time jobs at once. When my recall finally came, I was glad to go back to a job that at least provided health insurance. What was the point in turning back? So now I continue to press forward. Upgrade and a decent income are close at hand.

Unless you've felt the sting of genuine hardship, I advise you to keep your attacks to yourself.

propjockey said:
I don't care if tipping the driver to and from the hotel is customary. It's a custom that ought to end. You guys that perpetuate it do a disservice to the rest of us.

...and you're an embarrassment to the vast majority of us.

Tipping is like wiping your ass after taking a dump, it's just something you do. If you can't afford it, you're living above your means. I was broke before (making $17/hr as a newhire at Trans States '95) but I always managed to find a dollar for the van driver.

I couldn't look the driver in the eyes and walk away without giving him something. It's standard practice here in the USA. Justify it however you want so you feel good about yourself, it's still wrong.

I can't believe the indignation. Why such caustic attacks? If we were to meet for the first time and you didn't know I was the "non-van-driver-tipper-embarrasment-to-the-profession," you'd probably think I was a pretty good guy, and I'd probably feel the same about you.

I'm sorry about what I said about guys tipping being a disservice to the rest of us. That was over the top, it was late, and I was tired. I retract that.

I just don't think that choosing to live my life a certain way warrants the kind of personal attacks a few of you have leveled upon me.

Propjockey,

Sorry to read your insisntance on me me me. It is about we. Here is another thread on the same subject...

http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?p=689726#post689726

And of course my response 13 months ago....

Looks like some of you need to be schooled on tipping the van driver.

At times the van driver is the chef or janitor that "volunteers" to take the crew.

Not sure if van drivers are required to load your bags. Maybe they need George Washington to convince them not to look at you and say "Do it yo 'self!" In addition, I want my bags handled nicely, not like legacy carrier rampers would.

But if you really need a reason to tip the van driver its cause when you want to go somewhere decent to eat and there is nothing around but hoe's and hookers, the van driver will take you there. Maybe you need to go to a drugstore or Lenscrafters... A van drivers tip is sure cheaper than a taxi cab. If enough guys don't tip and I want to get something to eat my answer is no before I ask. You tip cause you're looking out for your fellow pilots.....

If you don't tip cause you don't get tips, its time to realize that you are a professional! Professionals don't get tips! Do you tip your lawyer or doctor? As a professional you know that your tips are tax deductible so if your smart you'll let the IRS tip the van driver.

If you are a Capt and you don't tip, shame on you, you cheap bastard. I hope you're more uncomfortable than your FO and FAs are when they hand over a buck and you don't.

Don't make enough money to tip? That's right...flight crews can tip up to $500 per year. When you are making $18,000 thats 3% of your pay. That's diapers, rent or a nice meal with your wife if you happen to be at home. Take the lady out, for the love of god.

FAs shouldn't tip. They make less than FOs. Perhaps Capts should for them in Express/regional domestic flying.....

If you won't/can't tip at least look the van driver in the eye and say thank you. You want respect...give it.

If you have nothing but "hookers and hoes" around the hotel, it's probably time to talk to the hotel person at your airline. This will have a more positive effect on your quality of life than tipping the van driver. ;)

Rez, I agree with you in part about doing it "for us," and your point is well taken. I do not accept your point regarding professionals not receiving tips, however. That's more noblesse oblige (yes, I spelled it wrong last night)thinking, and I just don't buy it. I have known personally a number of professionals (doctors, dentists, etc.) who have received frequent gifts ("tips" if you will) ranging from modest to lavish. I do not act the way I do because I am selfish. In fact, I am very kind and quite generous. Examples abound, though I will spare you the list. As I mentioned before, I always tip the van driver when I initiate the travel. I'm going to have to agree to disagree on the point of tipping for airline-initiated travel. I choose not to do it whether I can afford it or not, but I always say "thank you."

The following is not directed toward Rez. People make some pretty brash generalizations when hiding behind the anonimity of flightinfo. It's a bit like being on the Jerry Springer show. I doubt the tone of this discussion would be so uncivil or inflamatory if we were speaking face-to-face. No, I am not living beyond my means. You can pretty closely estimate my means, but you don't know how I'm living. Look at this as a single character flaw, if you will, but please don't assume that one isolated, distinct philosophy on tipping van drivers is the sum total of my essence as a human being, or that this somehow makes me a "pathetic" and "mindless" "lifetime loser."

TinGoose1 said:
This whole thread is funny. When was the last time someone slipped you a couple of bucks for not killing them in a thunderstorm

I got a $600 tip once while taking my passengers to Amarillo. I didn't even make it in due to the weather (freezing fog). I had to take them to Borger, Texas, of all places, and I still got a tip! So, I think I was tipped for not killing them that day. :)

Latest resources

Back