• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Time to bail!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Coming from another 121 carrier, how do the HR,TECH questions different from the gouge i've read on aviatiointerviews.com? anyone made the lateral move?

Any Mesa pilot who wants a job at ASA....please PM with your email....I will personally walk your resume into recruiting.....

We need pilots with experience and you guys need a better company.....

:beer:

Yall hiring street captains yet?

Coming from another 121 carrier, how do the HR,TECH questions different from the gouge i've read on aviatiointerviews.com? anyone made the lateral move?

It's not "the gouge". Questions are changed frequently; rehearsed answers sound terrible and "canned" no matter how well delivered, etc.

It's how well you present yourself to your interviewer. And knowing what interviewers are looking for and how to show it to them is the key.

Classic TMAT (tell me about a time) questions are par for the course: however, if you only prep for these questions as they are framed in "the gouge", you're going to get flustered when they're presented in a slightly different manner.

A better prep technique is to go over your logbook, your past work history, even your school days and come up with a dozen "stories" (beginning/challenge, middle/how you dealt w-it, end/what you learned or how you shined) that you can apply across a broad range of possible questions. Rehearse them, and keep them between 2-3 minutes, if possible.

(HINT: "I pushed Grandma's wheelchair" or "I moved a bag" is not a terribly original answer to the question "Tell me about a time you went above and beyond for a customer.")

Then do a mock interview with a pilot-friend, spouse, girlfriend, etc. Do it for real . . . short answers, no more than 20-30 min. for the whole shebang. Have them time you, take notes, treat it like the real thing and don't re-hash or chit-chat or get out of your mock-interview character.

Honestly evaluate yourself, then do it again a day or two later with different questions and a different interviewer, if possible.

This is a completely inadequate "cliff notes" version of the book cited earlier, but better than nothing if you're really in a hurry.

One answer that is interview DEATH is "Uh . . .I don't have an answer to that" or "Uh, that never happened to me." They're asking reasonable questions and expect answers.

Remember . . Mesa was your easiest interview. Republic MIGHT be just as easy, but then again, it might not. Best to prepare.

Last edited:
It's not "the gouge". Questions are changed frequently; rehearsed answers sound terrible and "canned" no matter how well delivered, etc.

It's how well you present yourself to your interviewer. And knowing what interviewers are looking for and how to show it to them is the key.

Classic TMAT (tell me about a time) questions are par for the course: however, if you only prep for these questions as they are framed in "the gouge", you're going to get flustered when they're presented in a slightly different manner.

A better prep technique is to go over your logbook, your past work history, even your school days and come up with a dozen "stories" (beginning/challenge, middle/how you dealt w-it, end/what you learned or how you shined) that you can apply across a broad range of possible questions. Rehearse them, and keep them between 2-3 minutes, if possible.

(HINT: "I pushed Grandma's wheelchair" or "I moved a bag" is not a terribly original answer to the question "Tell me about a time you went above and beyond for a customer.")

Then do a mock interview with a pilot-friend, spouse, girlfriend, etc. Do it for real . . . short answers, no more than 20-30 min. for the whole shebang. Have them time you, take notes, treat it like the real thing and don't re-hash or chit-chat or get out of your mock-interview character.

Honestly evaluate yourself, then do it again a day or two later with different questions and a different interviewer, if possible.

This is a completely inadequate "cliff notes" version of the book cited earlier, but better than nothing if you're really in a hurry.

One answer that is interview DEATH is "Uh . . .I don't have an answer to that" or "Uh, that never happened to me." They're asking reasonable questions and expect answers.

Remember . . Mesa was your easiest interview. Republic MIGHT be just as easy, but then again, it might not. Best to prepare.

Very good advice i agree.

Well folks. Talked to some union reps over here at MESA and it does not look good for the company. With the the financial woes the company has in the near future, it looks like mesa may not survive the summer time. Im talking Chapter 17 liquidation. We are losing jets and flying monthly. The MEC is holding Career fairs and the only supports the suspicion that mesa is headed under. With that said...Its time for me to bail. But to where??

There are a couple of places i am looking at that have Embraers. Why embraers? Its because I fly one and I want to make this transition as easy as possible...

I've been thinking about.. Compass and RAH. Anyone else have any ideas?? My main focus is of course QOL,PAY, and Upgrade

any help would be appreciated.

MESA is not going away. I'm sure the brain bank on this board would love to see this come true but it just is not. We will shrink...and that will be a good thing by making things more managable...but going away by the summer....nice try.

MESA is not going away. I'm sure the brain bank on this board would love to see this come true but it just is not. We will shrink...and that will be a good thing by making things more managable...but going away by the summer....nice try.

Maybe not this summer but...MAG will go away sometime after the headlines in the papers reads:

Aloha Wins Lawsuit: Judge Awards $XXX million

Maybe not this summer but...MAG will go away sometime after the headlines in the papers reads:

Aloha Wins Lawsuit: Judge Awards $XXX million

And:

Mesa / Hawaiian Appeal Fails: Mesa ordered to pay Hawaiian additional $X million in legal fees.

"Hot on the heels of a stunning $XXX million judgement in the Aloha case, another BLOW for JOHNNY-O!"

Who's fcuked? Mesa's fcuked. Escape before the world ends; there is still time. Those who remain at Mesa now, knowing what's coming, are willfully choosing to drive their careers into the honey bucket. Leave now!

If and when the Aloha judgment goes against MAG, they will owe more than their entire market cap and assets combined. MAG will have no choice to shut down and liquidate.

Additionally, I wouldn't be surprised to see Johnny O do some prison time, Jeffrey Skilling (Enron) style.

The real deal.

According to our negotiators Mesa has somewhere around 140 Mil. in bonds coming due in the June-July time frame. The people who bought them will want their money. The 80 Mil Hawaiian judgment is not included in that money. The Aloha lawsuit is still pending.

Company gets sold and pilots stay at work. Company gets sold and everyone gets laid off. Company goes into liquidation and everyone is unemployed. Some here claim to know but the truth is that no one here knows. Is this the final straw for J.O. and Mesa? I highly doubt it.

Moving on. Personally if I haven’t crossed the PIC turbine time threshold that I need to I will be heading overseas to one of the contractors. I am currently researching which one. The Mesa gig will be my absolute last resort. I will not rush to a company that treats me like Mesa does again.

Fact: The FAA stated that they expect to issue around 800-900 new Multi-Commercial tickets this year.

Fact: Mesa needs around 700 pilots right now.

Fact: Mesa has lost some of the UAL Exp flying in IAD to Express Jet. The highest paid regional pilots.
Personally I am ecstatic that the flying is headed for a company that is treating its pilots well.

The numbers add up to a very bleak picture for the airlines with crappy contracts.

Latest resources

Back