Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BigHangar

Time For SkyWest Pilots To Step Up!!!

Imagine this, ASA pilots continue to fight for a better contract, but SkyWest management does not want to give it to them. ASA starts to make some ruckus, what do you think would happen? Thats right, SW mgmt will give the flying to SW and the SW pilots cant do anything about without a scope clause in a contract. So think about who is screwing who. If the SW pilots had a contract with scope or some merger/aquisition language, it would prevent SW mgmt from whipsawing one pilot group against the other. This would obviously lower the bar for everyone. And if I hear one more SW pilot tell me their pay and QOL is equal to or as good as anybody out there, Im going to puke. Pay might be almost on par in some areas, but QOL is far from airlines with unions.

Please please SW pilots, we are all in this industry together, we all need to watch out for each other. We all need to feed our families and being non-union hurts this fraternity of pilots. Step up to the plate and start the union drive. Do it for your new co-workers.

Last edited:
I have faith in the Skywest pilots. They are in a position to do more damage to pilots as a whole by accepting ASA and Comair aircraft than Mesa or CHQ has done with their contracts. I fully expect them to do whats right and refuse to fly aircraft that are given to them because other airlines labor contracts are higher than theirs.

I agree, I think they will do the right thing too. I just hope the few young ones over there and the other koolaid drinking folks can be persuaded to understand the reality of what is going on in the industry. I know personally out of the numerous friends I have there, every single one started with little knowledge of unions, which made them a little anti-union. Now however, every single one of them really wants union representation.

BigHangar said:
This would obviously lower the bar for everyone. And if I hear one more SW pilot tell me their pay and QOL is equal to or as good as anybody out there, Im going to puke.

And if I hear the term "lower the bar" one more time, I'm gonna puke. Holy crap that phrase is tired, overused and cliched by now, perhaps even more so than "scab!". That and "race to the bottom...", they're done to death.

Need some new cliches here, something shiny and new... maybe something that'll go along with SJS mentioned in another thread. (Shiny Jet Syndrome)

Agreed, the term is overused. Must be a reason for that. Ill use the abbreviation KMIB = Kicking Me In the Balls

That might make you puke too though.

Yes, ALPA comes and saves the day once again, and we never hear pilots bitch anymore about QOL, Pay, Seats and crew meals. What a relief.

BigHangar said:
I just hope the few young ones over there and the other koolaid drinking folks can be persuaded to understand the reality of what is going on in the industry.

Funny you say that.. I have several Skywest friends and have met many others casually. More than anything I'd say that they have their hiring profile down pat, because there is little difference between personalities from one SW pilot to another. It's a good thing really, because they're a pretty cool group of folks there overall.......But......

One thing I have always noticed, is that there is a distinct line one crosses at roughly year 3 at SW. I'd say in my observations that almost everyone there fewer than three years drink the kool aid hard. To them, SW is the greatest place on earth, and they have serious SERIOUS company pride. BUT.... For some reason, once they cross this imaginary 3 year point, they become miserable, anti-management, and pro-union. Strange..... Anyone know why??

BigHangar said:
Imagine this, ASA pilots continue to fight for a better contract, but SkyWest management does not want to give it to them. ASA starts to make some ruckus, what do you think would happen? Thats right, SW mgmt will give the flying to SW and the SW pilots cant do anything about without a scope clause in a contract. So think about who is screwing who. If the SW pilots had a contract with scope or some merger/aquisition language, it would prevent SW mgmt from whipsawing one pilot group against the other. This would obviously lower the bar for everyone. And if I hear one more SW pilot tell me their pay and QOL is equal to or as good as anybody out there, Im going to puke. Pay might be almost on par in some areas, but QOL is far from airlines with unions.

First, how long do you think it would take for the SKYW pilot group to join ALPA and negotiate this great contract with fantastic scope language? 3-5 years from now, they may actually have a contract that probably would be thin in Section 1. That would be a day late and a dollar short for any help to ASA.

Secondly, you say that "QOL is far from airlines with unions". Are you saying that Mesa, Transtates, and Pinnacle have better "QOL" than SKYW. I would have to disagree.

Please please SW pilots, we are all in this industry together, we all need to watch out for each other. We all need to feed our families and being non-union hurts this fraternity of pilots. Step up to the plate and start the union drive. Do it for your new co-workers.

Please put the crack pipe down Big Hanger - we have drug testing in this business. We SHOULD be in this industry together (but we're not). We SHOULD watch out for each other (but we don't). The ALPA "fraternity" is far from a "brotherhood".

Joe

Otto Coarsen said:
BUT.... For some reason, once they cross this imaginary 3 year point, they become miserable, anti-management, and pro-union. Strange..... Anyone know why??

14 plus years at SKYW..............I'm far from miserable and anti-management. I don't like some of what they've done (rules changes, -200/-700 'deal Holt an ace' crap, etc., etc..), but from running a company standpoint, they've done a good job.

Pro-union..............you nailed that one, though. .333.............not a bad average in baseball. :D Why? I don't like moving targets (unilateral changing or the rules) unless they have antlers. I like to know what's expected of both of us, not just me.

AF :cool:

Latest resources

Back