• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Time For SkyWest Pilots To Step Up

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
:cool: While it is true that the union does not do everything great, it is absolutely needed in this business. Without it you are just waiting to die on your sword! I would like to see the OO guys/gals get a union....any union, so that things will get better for all. Whipsawing us all would not help ANYONE!!

Nor would a union prevent the whipsawing. Look around. It is a fact of life in this business. To borrow a cliche from the sports world..."You can't stop it, you can only hope to contain it".

BigHangar said:
Imagine this, ASA pilots continue to fight for a better contract, but SkyWest management does not want to give it to them. ASA starts to make some ruckus, what do you think would happen? Thats right, SW mgmt will give the flying to SW and the SW pilots cant do anything about without a scope clause in a contract. So think about who is screwing who. If the SW pilots had a contract with scope or some merger/aquisition language, it would prevent SW mgmt from whipsawing one pilot group against the other. This would obviously lower the bar for everyone. And if I hear one more SW pilot tell me their pay and QOL is equal to or as good as anybody out there, Im going to puke. Pay might be almost on par in some areas, but QOL is far from airlines with unions.

Please please SW pilots, we are all in this industry together, we all need to watch out for each other. We all need to feed our families and being non-union hurts this fraternity of pilots. Step up to the plate and start the union drive. Do it for your new co-workers.

Just read the bold print Big Hangar. You have your big finger pointed right in our faces telling us to step up to the plate. That phrase alone says it all. I am all about working with ASA Pilots, and all ASA employees for that matter, to increase the QOL here at SkyWest. I don't work for a union carrier so I don't know what your quality of life is all about. Don't go assuming yours is better than mine. I usually get what I want from crew support because I treat them like human beings. I here people talking to them on the phone sometimes and I want to ask them if they knew that there was a human being on the other end that controls their QOL.

We all read about the way people are treated even at union carriers. The grass is just as green your side of the fence as ours. I have been at SKW for 4 yrs in case you are wondering.

This is a perfect example of one group not even related by profession looking out for labor. It's a great lesson for all of us, and a classy act. The least we could do as fellow pilots is make sure we're all trying to take care of each other the best we can.

bizjournals.com
UPS pilots refuse to haul Northwest Airlines struck goods
Tuesday August 16, 2:01 pm ET

The Independent Pilots Association, the Louisville-based union that represents United Parcel Service Inc. pilots, has told UPS that they will not fly Northwest Airlines struck goods.

The association informed UPS of its position in anticipation of a possible strike by the mechanics at Northwest, which could occur as early as this Friday, according to a news release.

"The Independent Pilots Association is strongly committed to the principle of solidarity with our fellow transportation industry workers," said Capt. Tom Nicholson, president of the association, in the release. "As such, we will refuse to fly any struck goods should a strike or lock-out occur at Northwest Airlines involving their airline mechanics.

Northwest Airlines "has an extensive cargo operation and is now actively in the market attempting to line up aircraft and carriers to provide airlift to dodge the effects of a strike. ... UPS pilots have the contractual right to refuse to move airplanes containing struck goods. We will simply set the parking brakes on any UPS plane containing (Northwest Airlines) struck goods."

Because of the labor dispute at Northwest, Independent Pilots Association crewmembers have refused to be transported on Northwest Airlines since Aug. 5, the release said. As a result, UPS has rescheduled its pilots to other commercial carriers.

Atlanta-based UPS (NYSE: UPS - News) employs more than 17,000 people in Louisville. Its Worldport facility, located at Louisville International Airport, is the company's largest air transportation hub.

Published August 16, 2005 by Business First

I couldn't agree with you more big hangar. I think we are talking apples and oranges as far as the other stuff though. I do feel that the SkyWest pilot and ASA pilots will work together to get the best QOL and pay as we can get from SkyWest Inc.

I think Im going to make a dictionary soley for the use of pilots that include the previously mentioned gay terms: Whipsaw, Scab, Staple, SJS aka Shiny Jet Syndrome, "Lowering the Bar", QOL, bottom feeder, etc. Im gonna be RICH BIATCH!!!!

Spinplate said:
I think Im going to make a dictionary soley for the use of pilots that include the previously mentioned gay terms: Whipsaw, Scab, Staple, SJS aka Shiny Jet Syndrome, "Lowering the Bar", QOL, bottom feeder, etc. Im gonna be RICH BIATCH!!!!

Don't forget "race to the bottom."

-Goose

PBRstreetgang said:
This toolbox is a perfect example of why we can't get a union on board, it thinks that growth is the answer, what happens when the growth stops? The same toolboxes that said "I will get mine when I upgrade" are gonna whine like puppies pulled off of the teat! Well BWD, if and when the music stops you can swing my gear until the music starts again. I am already far enough up the ladder,unless the company fails, I GOTS MINE, you? I am slowly becoming weary talking to these moron talking heads spouting, "I'm gonna take the quick upgrade, so I can get 1000PIC and move on to LUV, FedEx, ect"
Stupid, Stupid, Stupid
PBR
P.S. The only thing weak at your previous carrier was you!

Wow PBR, you've won my heart and mind! I'm voting UNION.

If you really do have the PIC and you're such a damn unhappy wage slave, you should have the manly orbs to go on to the next level. But then again, you do not appear to be so equipped.

Bluto said:
There are many significant benefits to being ALPA aside from the basic pay/contract stuff that people bring up here routinely. I think you'll see an ALPA drive at SkyWest in the near future and I'm thinking it could pass, but as mentioned above, I don't think it'll help with the ASA acquisition much. It'll take years before we have a contract and the first one is generally pretty pathetic.

For better or worse, I think ASA is in for a little taste of what it's like to work for SkyWest: They may treat you great, they may not, but there's not a whole lot you can do about it.
Oh yes there is, as a Union we say and determine how we are treated. It may take time, but that is how the game is played. As for now they are required by law to honor our CBA.

Latest resources

Back