Time For SkyWest Pilots To Step Up

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Joe said:
Please put the crack pipe down Big Hanger - we have drug testing in this business. We SHOULD be in this industry together (but we're not). We SHOULD watch out for each other (but we don't). The ALPA "fraternity" is far from a "brotherhood".

Joe

kngarthur said:
You know what? Skywest doesn't have to do shoot!!!!!!

Sorry everyone, I forgot to turn on the retard filter.

Let me be clear...I can tell you first hand that the QOL at SW is below par, period. How do I know you might ask? Because I flew there a couple of years ago, and I know back then it wasn't even close to the carriers I've been with that have contracts. Speaking with friends, it's only gotten worse.

I can't give you details about QOL at SW vs. Mesa, Pinnacle and Transtates, but I find it funny you're selecting those three as a comparison. They're generally the ones everyone uses as an example of weak contracts that they are or will be working on in the future. Even Mesa has scope, and there is a lot to be said for those guys not giving up their jobs or their futures and selling out another airline just because their mgmt wants to. Why didn't you say ExpressJet, Comair or American Eagle?

True story that happened to me at SkyWest, and it happened almost every week and still happens to everyone I know there. After giving my left testicle to the company in so many ways, I had them assign me some abusive scheduling crap that was clearly illegal per the company manual. So I call up scheduling and tell them that it's in writing and they can't do that to me. The scheduler tells me that indeed that is true, but the company was hurting that day for staffing, and the rules in the book could be changed at anytime if really needed by the company. I had nothing to say. I had no contract, she was right. I threw that book in the trash right then, because it didn't mean anything.

Case in point. Do you think it costs more money or less money to have a contract that is enforceable? The answer is obvious. With that said, you have to realize that mgmt will always favor the cheapest labor. That is their job. If you make the whole industry somewhat more relative, then that can't happen. If you make it less relative, other groups inevitably get hurt.

Black Water Dog said:
The reality of this industry is that I'll be in an RJ for the duration thanks to union scope clauses at the majors. Thanks a lot "brothers".

Like the majors owe you something? Pilots at regionals are lucky to be here, where the growth is. I would rather the jobs stay at the majors, but alas, that's not the case. What would you expect of SKW if you were mainline Delta or United?

Black Water Dog said:
Going from a weak ALPA carrier to SkyWest, I would have to say the koolaid tastes pretty good. . . . And yes, the pay rates are better than most others. A few are higher, but how many of them are growing?

I hope you get a nice big red koolaid stain all over your VanHuesen 'Aviator' shirt. With SKW buying ASA, my astrologer tells me SKW is getting 90 seat jets for Delta Connection in the future, and you'll be doing it for 50 seat pay. That's where your common pay rate (50 - 99 seats) is going to get you. "Thanks a lot "brothers" " yourself.

Now go vote ALPA in so SKW can integrate ASA without too many "brothers" getting hurt, please.

DX Rick said:
Yes, ALPA comes and saves the day once again, and we never hear pilots bitch anymore about QOL, Pay, Seats and crew meals. What a relief.

IN-HOUSE UNION Guys/gals!

It's funny how we are already being blamed for getting ASA's deliveries. We are a pilot group just watching our management do their thing. You guys need to open your eyes and not blame our pilot group for buying ASA. What happened to the "brotherhood"? Why should we "help out" ASA pilots? What did they or any other pilot group do for us? I am all for welcoming ASA aboard but stop the blaming. You are just a bunch of bitter people with nothing to do but complain. We will do what is best for our group just like Mesa, ACA, ASA, American Eagle, Comair and everyone else has done for theirs. What we do is our business. We will do our best but don't blame your contract and your loss of flying on our pilot group because our management had millions in the bank and Delta is in financial trouble. Take care and Safe Flying to all.

One more thing, the pilots you can blame are the ones who went from Mesa to Freedom. Those are the kind of pilots that should be blamed for some of the things that happen in this industry.

skywestdrvr said:
It's funny how we are already being blamed for getting ASA's deliveries. We are a pilot group just watching our management do their thing. You guys need to open your eyes and not blame our pilot group for buying ASA. What happened to the "brotherhood"? Why should we "help out" ASA pilots? What did they or any other pilot group do for us? I am all for welcoming ASA aboard but stop the blaming. You are just a bunch of bitter people with nothing to do but complain. We will do what is best for our group just like Mesa, ACA, ASA, American Eagle, Comair and everyone else has done for theirs. What we do is our business. We will do our best but don't blame your contract and your loss of flying on our pilot group because our management had millions in the bank and Delta is in financial trouble. Take care and Safe Flying to all.

Just reread the posts, I don't think anyone is blaming SkyWest pilots....yet. That is the point of the post. It's in your hands to make sure there doesn't need to be any blaming. I'll be the first to say, I don't necessarily think buying ASA is a good or bad thing. I just think the outcome is what's important. You summed up my point well by saying, "We will do what is best for our group..." My point exactly. ASA is now your group, so make sure you do what is best for your entire group.

It's funny how we are already being blamed for getting ASA's deliveries. We are a pilot group just watching our management do their thing. You guys need to open your eyes and not blame our pilot group for buying ASA.
I don't see anyone blaming the SkyWest pilots.

You are just a bunch of bitter people with nothing to do but complain.

I don't see very many of the ASA folks as bitter. They have their 5%, just as SkyWest has their 5%.

Why should we "help out" ASA pilots? What did they or any other pilot group do for us

When it comes time for a new contract (agreement) do you want mgmt to be paying ASA less? Do you want to raise your rates up to theirs? Perhaps you would rather bargain down if they were to take an inferior contract to SkyWests? One thing they did not do to SkyWest was undercut them.

We will do what is best for our group just like Mesa, ACA, ASA, American Eagle, Comair and everyone else has done for theirs.

This is not particularly helpfull... This type of thinking has led us to the current state of the regional industry. Speak for yourself. There are plenty of SkyWest pilots that do not suffer from myopia.

We will do our best but don't blame your contract and your loss of flying on our pilot group because our management had millions in the bank and Delta is in financial trouble.

Again, who are all of these people blaming SkyWest Pilots. Most of the ASA response has been guardedly optomistic. Don't gloat over SkyWest mgmts prowess or good fortune. Arrogance is the quicksand of success.

Take care and Safe Flying to all.
Could not agree more.

BigHangar,

Having a contract doesn't mean the company has to follow it any more than they didn't at SKW. ASA managment violates or reinterprates(sp) our current contract at their whim everyday when it benefits them at the time. The standing policy with ASA managment is that it is cheaper to violate the contract they signed with us and go through the grievance process than to live by the contract. Then they proceed to fight the grievance to the mediation process and pay their legal firm of putz, putz and schmuck 15 to 20 K in billable hours for the process. We just have the representation to fight back and waste the time and resources of the union and company. Here's an example that happened to me. I was assigned a trip at the end of last month that had me scheduled for 97 hour and 44 minutes for the month. Our contract clearly states that we cannot be assigned a trip that schedules us for more than 97.5 hours in a month. After going round and round with the schedulers about how 97.44 is less than 97.50 and me arguing that 97h and 44m converts to 97.7 they actually changed the scheduled block on my first leg so it was 14 minutes less and therefor made me legal for the trip. This is going to the grievance process shortly.

After SKW gets unionized, what would prevent management from creating an AlterEgo airline?

Latest resources

Back