This sucks!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Tram said:
Falcon Capt - While I understand what your saying - what do you expect those of us with no job to do? Sit there? I'm sure your first job may have replaced someone who gave the industry the finger...
My first flying job was as a CFI, making $14,000 a year salary (about $21,000 a year in today's dollars), back in 1991... It was as entry level as entry level gets...

"I should have studied out the industry more before investing so much time and money."

Exactly what did you think about this industry before you invested in it? What did you use to justify your decisions?

I ask because I'm the chief watchdawg with respect to big academy marketing at another website and whenever I bring up the misleading picture these schools paint, I'm told that anyone who enters the industry without seeing the big picture deserves what they get.

Personally, I think it's criminal the way these academies sell the career to get you to sign on the dotted line.

Last edited:
Falcon Capt said:
My first flying job was as a CFI, making $14,000 a year salary (about $21,000 a year in today's dollars), back in 1991... It was as entry level as entry level gets...

Well, while we're bragging.. I'm flight instructing and making $10K a year salary in 2005 dollars.. A lil' more entry level, I would think - but that is semantics.. :)

I meant your first "airline" job... Either way, it's a bit of screwed if you do, screwed if you don't... What is today's CFI with 1,500 hours to do? Sit and say "no, I will not take this job." While some other kid will and just leave us in the dust?

That's all I'm asking.. We all get bashed for the whole "SJS" syndrome, which is completely overused.. Would I love to fly a "Shiny jet?" sure, who wouldn't.. Would I take a job with a decent company flying RJ's? Sure.. Would I take a job with a decent company flying DoJet's or Saab 340's? Sure.. Hardly SJS...

While SJS does exist - I have flown with several 400 hours guys "just waiting to hit 500 to send out those resume's" and refer to anyone flying anything with a prop "prop trash." I think they are the exception rather than the rule..

A low time guy, who wants to get a "foot in the door" in this industry is IMMEDIATELY branded as having SJS for trying to pursue a job..

I guess I should just flight instruct until the industry "changes."

you know i really just don't get some people. i understand that the days of making $250K/yr. are for the most part long gone. it seems to me that all the people sitting on their computer and ripping the industry either got in it thinking that they would make $100K their first year and that you would only have to work about 1/2 the month or less. the reality of life is that nothing is free, it's a bitch, and you have to shovel sh!t before you own the farm. now im 22 years old attending Delta's Academy working on my CFI. i do think it was a little silly to spend the money ive spent on this, but i think it will be worth it in the end. i am getting a great education and progressing a lot faster than i did while training part 61 back home. i have years of hell ahead of me with less than stellar pay. but i couldnt be more excited about it. u have to find the good in everything. i can't wait to meet half the people i know i will. i know it will be at least 10 years before im making close to what i expect(and know i will) to make if i just work hard and do my job. there are so many jobs out there, and good ones at that. and this industry is only getting bigger. when its all said and done i know i will haev a long and rewarding career to look back on with plenty of money in the bank and everything i really want.

to all those who sit around and bash it, thank you for getting out, you would have been miserable to work with and youve now opened up another spot in the system for me.

to those who are in it or just getting started, i look forward to working with as many of you i can and making some great friendships along the way.

Rock on mccube!

Tram said:
I meant your first "airline" job... Either way, it's a bit of screwed if you do, screwed if you don't... What is today's CFI with 1,500 hours to do? Sit and say "no, I will not take this job." While some other kid will and just leave us in the dust?
I didn't have a first "airline" job... I refused to go work at the "commuters" for less money than I was making as a CFI at the time... I waited until the job I wanted came along (Charter) and took that, it paid about 50% more than what the "Commuters" of the day were paying... As for the "Kids who passed me by" and went to the "Commuters"... Unfortunately, most of them are either furloughed or have moved on to a different industry...

Last edited:
Tram said:
Well, while we're bragging.. I'm flight instructing and making $10K a year salary in 2005 dollars.. A lil' more entry level, I would think - but that is semantics.. :)

That's all I'm asking.. We all get bashed for the whole "SJS" syndrome, which is completely overused.. Would I love to fly a "Shiny jet?" sure, who wouldn't.. Would I take a job with a decent company flying RJ's? Sure.. Would I take a job with a decent company flying DoJet's or Saab 340's? Sure.. Hardly SJS...

While SJS does exist - I have flown with several 400 hours guys "just waiting to hit 500 to send out those resume's" and refer to anyone flying anything with a prop "prop trash." I think they are the exception rather than the rule..

A low time guy, who wants to get a "foot in the door" in this industry is IMMEDIATELY branded as having SJS for trying to pursue a job..

I guess I should just flight instruct until the industry "changes."

No offense, but you have to be a fool to be making your goal the Airlines these days.

Unless you have been living under a rock since 2000 you would know that this is not a "downturn" that is coming back anytime soon. Why would one continue to pursue aviation as a career when there is a strong possibility that he/she may sit in some RJ indefinitly?

The "commuters" are no longer a stepping stone where pilots suffered for a few years until mainline called them, they are now a life sentence.

I think that while the career expectations of airline pilots have taken a large hit the past 5 years, I still don't think it is the crappy sh!t job so many on this board have made it out to be.

Sure I could make 125K+ in a good corporate job...but I really don't want to move to VNY or TEB. In the time it would realistically take for me to get into a position like that (ignoring the military option and going 135 or corporate and flying/networking my ass off) I could be an RJ captain making $75K or more per year. Is that what I was hoping for when I got started? No...but at that point I think being able to maximize my QOL and pay by living in a place of my choosing with a much lower cost of living would negate most of the difference in W2s.

The dream job for one person is a terrible job for another, and vice versa. As long as people are happy and content with their jobs and don't constantly bitch, I don't think it really matters.

Well, after all he HAS put in 1200 hours and flown at least 5 different types of airplanes.............

Nothing personal Thug, you're actually wiser than me obviously!

Latest resources

Back