This sucks!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
NYCPilot said:
Once stabilization occurs, pay and QOL will slowly become more comfortable. This may take a good 10 years but it will occur.

NYC Pilot, what will bring around stabilization? Pay and QOL will become more comfortable relative to what, living conditions in 3rd world countries? I don't see these improving with the current Corporate Raiders running the management teams at airlines [Southewest being an exception]. The airlines are in a race to the bottom right now with eachother and the two biggest ways to reduce operating costs are to either layoff's or paycuts. It looks to me like new talent is needed on the BOD's before anything gets better.

Don’t you think I have put in dues yet? 5 years of eating ramen and sleeping on couches to hope for 30k a year. I’m 30 years old, the last six years of my live have been devoted to getting this job.

I don't think you've put in your dues yet. I don't think you have the remotest concept of what it means to pay your dues. You sound like an arrogant spoiled kid who is just now opening his eyes for the first time, but thinks he knows it all.

I also don't think you have what it takes to survive in this industry, else you wouldn't quit.

I don’t want anyone to feel sorry for me, ... I just wanted to complete the goal I sacrificed so much for.
Moving on.

Yes, you do want sympathy, and no, you haven't begun to sacrifice. You've simply started a path that you're not willing to finish. Apparently in ignorance of the obvious; pilots are a dime a dozen, few worth their weight in old salt.

I find it incomprehensible that someone would make the "sacrifices" that you claim, if they could be called as much, without so much as taking the time to enquire among professionals who have experience in the industry to learn it's true nature. That it comes as a surprise to you at this stage in the game is no slight on the industry, but an embarassment to you that you should come this far with your eyes closed. That you should quit is an embarassment to you for your lack of commitment.

You should be aware that for those who do stay with it, flying is worth the effort, and the career a rewarding one. Before you quit, at least you should know what it is that you're giving up.

Yes, it can be tough. But you didn't come this far to merely walk away, did you? You did not. Get back on the horse and ride. Your career isn't over, yet.

read above for rebuttle, nicely said avbug. No offense thuggie but 1200 hours in 6 years (assuming youve updated).....no wonder youve been living on couches. You must be one motivated person, you gotta fly to get paid bud. $70k in training either youre one slow learner or you got suckered by some fancy ads, if the fancy ads are the case no wonder you were so misinformed about this profession. I hope to goodness youre still on probationary pay making 19k a year, if youre not chances are you arent flying for a good company. I'm sorry youre 30 and still making crap pay, but dues are dues no matter how old you are....and the slower you pay your dues the longer they take. Why dont you do us a favor and stop complaining and do something about it, weather it be get your real estate license or find a better flying job. Your plight doesnt impress me, sorry.

THUGLIFE said:
To all working towards an airline. Stop right now and look for a new career. Don’t listen to the hype of your flight school! They just want your money. I’m so sick of this #$#@!!!!!! No pay for two months, when I do get my check I have deductions for my &%^$& uniform!!!!!!!!!!!!!. My two days off reserve, I spend traveling, Just to get home for a few hours!!!!!!!!!!. Then it starts all over. It never ends or pays off. You will be stuck at a regional for the rest of your career, making the same pay as ups truck driver. That’s the reality. I’m not trying to be negative, just to let you know this sucks. I wish I had really known what this was all about long ago, I wasted so much time and money!!!! Yeah we all love flying but when you can't afford to pay your meager bills and qualify for food stamps, you really begin to wonder. *#&# I cant even afford to pay rent!!!!!!!!!!!

Well got to go work on my real-estate license, to try to dig myself out of this hole. Normally I would not write something like this, but I’m so discouraged and fed up with this industry. Good luck......

Actually our drivers make much more that most regional pilots.

The industry is not too bad for those that have been in it for a long time. For new guys I would advise to get the hell out while you still can. I am lucky enough to not really care how much money I make, if I had to worry I would choose a very, very different career, one that is in no way related to aviation.

Avbug, just for the record, I’m not the spoiled kid you may think I am. I worked 2 jobs during college, to pay my way through, my parents have never given me a dime. When I started traing ,money for flying was a little tougher to get, especially without a co-signer. So I paid for my ratings as I went, got grants anything else I could get my hands on.
For the record I have never failed a check ride or have any of my students. When I did get my CFI and started instructing I flew more than any other CFI at our school, as I worked another job. Flown cargo right seat in a "unairworthy" chieftain, not logging any of the time just to get more experience. I think I was pretty motivated.
I have been frustrated for a long time now, and I guess I’m just at a re-evaluation point. Because I speak up now does not mean I have come this far with my eyes closed.
Yeah its a tough industry, I guess I’m just getting burnt out already. My hats off everyone who keeps sticking it out.

Thuglife, you must be in your first probationary year, to be getting paid so little, right? Won't your pay go up to an acceptable level after the first year ends? ... if not, who are you working for?

typhoonpilot said:
THUGLIFE:

You may want to get out of this industry because to succeed you need to have a variety of factors on your side. One of them is a good attitude and another is the willingness to move for the right job. Other factors would be: decent flying skills, a good ability to network, and a little luck. Aviation is a very small industry and I have found that networking and having a good attitude are invaluable. Once those factors get you the interview you then need to display some technical competence and again, a good attitude. Maybe your rant doesn't depict you, maybe it is temporary. Obviously you did something right to get to a regional, but if you are young and already displaying the attitude of your post, you won't get much further.

This career isn't easy. I've moved 10 times since 1988, and I'm not talking about small moves. Two have been cross country and two have been overseas. For me it has paid off; I was 23 when I first upgraded at a regional, 24 when hired by a major (later furloughed and unemployed for a year), 28 when I made captain on the DC-9, and 39 when I made captain on the 777. I haven't made less than $100,000 per year since 1995.

Some lucky few get to stay with a good company or airline from when they are young to when they retire, but that really only makes up about 5% of the people who get into this business. The rest of us have to network, display a good attitude, and be competent pilots to succeed. All of my friends in this industry are successful. They have all had to work hard at it and all had to make moves to go to the right job. It hasn't been easy for most, but if you have the desire to do it, it is possible to succeed.

Typhoonpilot

I wish I had your desire, drive, and "go get em" attitude- I applaud your accomplishments and long resume of credentials at those ages. You remind me of a furloughed Airways pilot Dave Parson's, a unique breed that isn't the norm present day. I could never bring myself to moving across the country let alone half way across the world to fly the big iron. Again, congrats on getting to where you are at present day and it is satisfying to know that people like you are out there for the younger up and coming "newer generation" of pilots that frequent this board.

I would hang it up tom. morning without a second thought if I could and would not miss the flying at all, this business/industry no matter what arena of the business that you are in isn't nearly as fun as it once was but that is just my opinion.

Draginass, where you at?!

The OP did it backwards im afraid,

First; either get your real estate license and or become an investor. Surf the bubble my brother, dont worry about the bubble busting, people have been saying that for years.

Next; make enough money to pay cash for your ratings, keep doing real estate projects on the side to subsidize the lean years.

Or you could borrow 50k, live off the cockroachs in your government apartment and bitch on these here forums.

enjoy flying for flying sake, not the money because your alreaady richhhhh biiitch.

The days of taking huge loans is over, it makes no sense and your setting your self up for misery.

I did know a reg pilot that lived in his wife's - parents basement for a while, maybe he still does. He was a tool, and I dont consort what that fool any longer.

to all those that like making fun of SJS

My paychecks are sending me towards the $7,000 mark when a year roles around! That is for flight instructing. I live out in podunck no where. I have been building steady time and I paid around 21,000 for all my ratings. It's been a long haul. As you can see I am one of the older members on this board. (not age wise) I have done charter, corporate, teaching and I'm now flying freight overnight in a Saratoga. (The first two were right seat of course, but none the less I got a feel for the lifestyle) This freight run is building me almost 6hrs a night! I can't wait to apply to my first regional. Some old, used up dipsh!ts on here would call it SJS, but my wife calls it wanting medical insurance. (shiny medical insurance) My mom calls it shiny apartment or house syndrome, so I can move out of our cabin (trailer) on the lake so she can sell it. Me personally, I'm doing it all for the money baby. Going from 7 to 21 thousand is a three fold in my paycheck. O.k. granted I am making a little more now with the run, but it's not that great. I am a victim of SJS or shiny B1900 syndrome or shiny saab syndrome. what ever you want to call it.

Sorry, I feel like I had to finally post on this subject. It seems to be a fad right now on this board to make fun of the younger people. I 'm sure it will pass and some moron will come up with a new slogan and that will be the new craze.

It kind of reminds me of when I rolled my pants in sixth grade and then I always wanted to wear ty dyed shirts. Or when going to the skating rink on Friday nights was the cool thing to do. Of course now I was only 12 or 13 at the time.

Well it's time to go sit in the stand for awhile and wait for the big one. That is a hobby that I can afford, since sitting in a tree is free.

Peace

Latest resources

Back