• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

This Months "ProPilot"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They sure give Clay Lacy alot of free publicity too.

That Lear article reminded me of the one about Mike Chowdry's BBJ crew (former chair of Atlas Airlines). They would do the same thing to Seoul - admittedly the BBJ had beds and a shower - and then back home, the PIC had to manage all the maintenance too! 1100 hours/year with three pilots - oh yeah, Chowdry had a type too....

Actaully...

I have worked for an outfit that was on the cover of proffesional Pilot. I can tell you that the articles are misleading to say the least. The place I worked was a SWEAT SHOP. If I told you the pay/conditions you wouldn't believe it. We were so far behind the times when it came to pay. The equip. was older than dirt and rather embarrasing to show to pax. However, reading the article you would think this Charter Company was getting ready to put every Fractional out of business and they couldn't beat the pilots and their resume's off with a stick. I can just tell you, the reality of those articles is far more interesting than the rosey picture they paint.

Just my perspective...

I've noticed that when reading those articles you sometimes run across passages like

"...the company's two pilots fly an average of 800 hours a year, but enjoy flexible scheduling and report an excellent quality of life..."

It just screams at you to go get your big 'ol grain o' salt.

You have to read ProPilot selectively...

I have a friend who flys the Billionaire Boys Club type and after one of the flight dept of the year awards some years back, he said he quit reading it all together.

Many of these picks won't stand up to much scrutiny.

See its articles like that, why I let my subscription to ProPilot expire two years ago! I disliked the articles so much that, even though it was a FREE subscription, I got rid of it. And I’m sure those pilots in the aforementioned article are paid above industry standard, if you consider the industry standard that joke of a salary survey they put out.

Same thing with Flying magazine, I haven't read one of them in over 5 years. I just got sick of reading how great of a pilot Dick Collins is.

The two aviation rags that I still get and enjoy reading are B/CA's and AIN.

Larry Flynt on the cover? Kewl. :D

Does anyone know what, or how many, aircraft his publication house operates nowadays? If I remember correctly they are a pretty big operation and are into all kinds of magazines today.

Just curious .... as usual ...

Minh :D

Dick Collins sucks, he about ran me out of the sky six or seven years ago down at Sporty's. What an A$$hole, in person too!

There are some weird ones out there. I applied for an upscale clothingstore chain based in Seattle once years ago, pay was low and if you were not flying you had to help with building maintenance. Turned out the pilots were cutting the grass, cleaning restrooms... I also read an article about the flight ops from I believe Arnold Palmer. One of those old famous golfers who designs a lot of courses. Pilots had maybe 20 days off a year, had to cook for him, even at the layovers. They flew a G4, and were thinking about something bigger. These guys flew a lot!

metrodriver said:
I also read an article about the flight ops from I believe Arnold Palmer. One of those old famous golfers who designs a lot of courses. Pilots had maybe 20 days off a year, had to cook for him, even at the layovers. They flew a G4, and were thinking about something bigger

It wasn't AP, AP flies a C750, N1AP. His CP is a great guy named Pete. AP's job is about as good as it can be flying for a owner-pilot. The only real negative about the job is that it is split home bases between Latroble, PA in the summer and Orlando, FL in the winter.

And no I'm not Pete, nor do I work for AP.

Isn't Arnie (I always call him 'Arnie' ... we're pretty tight.) typed in the Citation X? I thought I saw something on TV once about him getting one of the first 750s Cessna sold, and about him flying it with a co-Captain. But then again ... I used to drink alot before I found Jesus (pronounced 'hey-soos').

Minh "Hacker" Thong

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back