• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

THIRD SAS Q400 Gear Collapse in 2 Months

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Feathering the right propeller was a great compromise between safety and system requirements which worked out in their favor.

Shutting down the engine with landing assured was a great idea. Closing the fuel, bleed and hydraulic valves minimized post crash fire risk. Not to mention reducing the energy on the prop that could shatter and come through the cabin. I don't think he did it just to save the engine rebuild.

From what I heard at QX before I left, maintenance found significant corrosion on one downlock; they said that gear could've failed at some point in the future. The inspections didn't turn up any other problems.

I find it very interesting that this happened after SAS did the required/recommended inspection on their entire fleet. Obviously, it was not comprehensive enough, or the design is such that potential sources of failure are not easily detectible ahead of time.

I find it very interesting that this happened after SAS did the required/recommended inspection on their entire fleet. Obviously, it was not comprehensive enough, or the design is such that potential sources of failure are not easily detectible ahead of time.

Or there was a lot of recent maintenance on the accident aircraft's RMLG (rumor) and that it's failure to extend was purely coincidental in light of the early September accidents.

First two accidents: gear free-falls with such force that it breaks parts on the way down.

This accident: gear jambs so hard that it won't free-fall and can't be pumped down.

Either way, I think SAS was snake-bit and probably did the only logical thing it could do business-wise to protect its reputation.

Latest resources

Back