• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

THIRD SAS Q400 Gear Collapse in 2 Months

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hmmm, some tinfoil head will think management sabotaged this last one so they'd have a good case to sue Bombardier and end their lease or dump the planes. I wonder how much of a drop there was in consumer confidence in SAS regional fights before this latest down/lock malfunction...

Hmmmm. Comet, Electra . . . Q400?

http://www.flysas.com/en/Media-center/Press-releases/?vst=true

2007-10-28

SAS removes Dash 8 Q400 from service permanently

Following the recent period of events involving aircraft of the Dash 8 Q400 type, SAS's management, following an unscheduled meeting of the Board of Directors held today, has decided to immediately discontinue the use of this type of aircraft.

"Confidence in the Q400 has diminished considerably and our customers are becoming increasingly doubtful about flying in this type of aircraft. Accordingly, with the Board of Directors' approval, I have decided to immediately remove Dash 8 Q400 aircraft from service," says Mats Jansson, President and Chief Executive Officer of SAS.

In January 2000, SAS was the first customer to use the Dash 8 Q400 in its traffic operations. The aircraft have accounted for approximately 5 percent of the Group's passengers. The aim is to replace traffic based on the Q400 by reallocating current aircraft in the SAS Group's fleet and by means of leasing.

"The Dash 8 Q400 has given rise to repeated quality-related problems and we can now conclude that the aircraft does not match our passengers' requirements concerning punctuality and regularity. SAS's flight operations have always enjoyed an excellent reputation and there is a risk that use of the Dash 8 Q400 could eventually damage the SAS brand," says John Dueholm, Deputy CEO of SAS.

Due to the decision, SAS's traffic services will be affected by flight cancellations in the period immediately ahead. The customers concerned will be given an opportunity to either rebook or have their tickets refunded. For detailed information about traffic services, reference is made to the airlines' various websites (www.sas.se www.sas.dk www.wideroe.no)

SAS Group Corporate Communication

Permanently parked, ouch. Talk about a scathing indictment. I can't think of the last time this happened...

It was asked by not answered earlier...

Has QX had anything remotely like this happen in their fleet?

I believe in coincidences until I see too many of them.

SAS operates (operated) only 24 of the 140 Q400s in service. (That's 17% of the worldwide fleet) Statistically speaking, it's highly unlikely that (assuming all things equal) all three gear failures would occur in this sampling unless the failure aircraft are of similar age/serial and thus were manufactured by the same hands, have parts installed of similar lot number, and have been flown under the same conditions and standards. Equally important to note is that all have been inspected and maintained under the same conditions and standards.

I think those who are driven to point fingers should be looking at more than one coincidence. (Fleet type) It appears, from a statistical standpoint, that SAS is as likely the cause.

It was asked by not answered earlier...

Has QX had anything remotely like this happen in their fleet?

Management claims we have not.

This latest accident was materially different than the previous two. SAS is reacting to the potential public back-lash as opposed to hard facts about the cause of the most recent accident. I believe the accident aircraft was still quarantined by Danish authorities, so there is little way SAS could know exactly what failed on this one, but one thing is pretty clear: this gear failed to extend; the others were extended, but collapsed. That alone points to different causation.

Unless one thinks that the primary causation is a general "this thing's a piece of crap." Might be something to that.

SAS's first Q400s started service in 2000. Horizon's in 2001. I hope we're not seeing a preview of our own future.

SAS is saying they will stop flying their 23 DH4s, and 4 from their subsidiary Wideroe. That means 27 will be available to anyone who wants them. Lynx, Porter out of Toronto Island Airport in Canada, Colgan, and Horizon will probably look at them. ASA may too. They will probably be discounted in price too.

Bye Bye--General Lee

SAS is saying they will stop flying their 23 DH4s, and 4 from their subsidiary Wideroe. That means 27 will be available to anyone who wants them. Lynx, Porter out of Toronto Island Airport in Canada, Colgan, and Horizon will probably look at them. ASA may too. They will probably be discounted in price too.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Already "broke" in even.

Latest resources

Back