• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Thin flier: Southwest booted me for overweight teen

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sounds to me like Southwest had a tough choice and would have dealt with negative press either way. I think they made the right move here not stranding a UM. Personally I think one major cause of supersize Americans is not so much what we eat, but the amount we eat. Seems like anytime you order a meal it comes on a plate that's 2 feet in diameter and it's loaded to the edges with food. You might get enough calories for a whole day in one meal. And it doesn't matter if the plate is full of vegetables, you will gain weight if you eat too much of anything. People in skinny countries may eat rich foods, but much less of it, and they don't choke it down in 5 minutes. Now off to Cinnabon...need to work on the before shot. :D

There are plenty of obese vegetarians. If there is any credence to the theory of evolution, then it must also be ackowledged that changes in diet over generations could lead to permanent genetic changes as well.

We, as a society, demand that those obese individuals perform above and beyond what so-called "normal" people do, just to conform to that same subjective "normal" body shape. One person can only avoid ridicule and discrimination so long as they spend 2 hours daily at the gym, while someone else without the genetic predisposition to obesity can sit in front of a computer and make fat jokes for 12 hours a day without gaining an ounce.

The real shock is not that there are a growing number of obese, but that we give tacit approval to bashing them without consequence as a way of openly venting a prejudice against folks without being called racist. Those who can't get away with using the "N-word" in civil society anymore can turn their venom toward the fat girl and everybody gets a laugh.

However, Obesityrates in the US are not the same worldwide either, and the obesity rates in the US have not just always been there.

The analogy of race to obesity is utterly laughable, sorry. People are born black, or whatever race. They are not born fat. Genes can contribute some, but then if genetics were the main factor, you would have obesity all around the world just like here. And there is not.

Like it or not, Americans eat more calories than every before, and do less manual labor than every before. Thats why people here are so fat. Unfortunately the UK and Germany are not too far behind either

The analogy of race to obesity is utterly laughable, sorry. People are born black, or whatever race. They are not born fat. Genes can contribute some, but then if genetics were the main factor, you would have obesity all around the world just like here. And there is not.
You are confusing genetics with evolution. There can be many causes of genetic mutations and predispositions isolated to certain areas. Cleft palate, certain genetic blood disorders such as sickle cell, and so on are found more in one area than others.

I'm not discounting that there are quite a few overweight people who can't keep thamselves away from the Snickers bars, but I think if you look into it more closely, you will find that there are far more people who put on weight with just a moderate increase in calories.

Many people, in order to meet the "ideal weight", must go to extrordinary measures such as supplemental exercise and a dedication to dieting. But if they don't perform these actions on a consistent basis (actions many without such a predisposition to weight gain never have to consider), then they are subject to merciless ridicule and are deemed "fat lazy slobs" by society. Folks imagine them to stuffing their faces with Cinnbons when in all fact they may eat just as healthy a diet as anyone else (equal caloric intake), but they don't restrict themselves to a 1500 calorie regimen.

For those who still want to berate all fat people and blame them for the high cost of health care, consider that the life expectancy for a heavy person is far less and you don't pay any health care expenses for a dead person. How much of a burden on society is the 99 year-old slim guy getting a knee replacement on medicare?

The point is, folks should not feel they can get away with ridiculing a heavy person, regardless of the reason for their overweight. No one prefers carrying around 100 extra pounds and buying all their clothes on-line and trying to pretend that there is anything else going through the mind of someone they're talking to, than how horrible they look. Many try to fight the battle, some have given up, but it's not up to us to try and make their world any crummier than it already is.

You are confusing genetics with evolution. There can be many causes of genetic mutations and predispositions isolated to certain areas. Cleft palate, certain genetic blood disorders such as sickle cell, and so on are found more in one area than others.

I'm not discounting that there are quite a few overweight people who can't keep thamselves away from the Snickers bars, but I think if you look into it more closely, you will find that there are far more people who put on weight with just a moderate increase in calories.

Many people, in order to meet the "ideal weight", must go to extrordinary measures such as supplemental exercise and a dedication to dieting. But if they don't perform these actions on a consistent basis (actions many without such a predisposition to weight gain never have to consider), then they are subject to merciless ridicule and are deemed "fat lazy slobs" by society. Folks imagine them to stuffing their faces with Cinnbons when in all fact they may eat just as healthy a diet as anyone else (equal caloric intake), but they don't restrict themselves to a 1500 calorie regimen.

For those who still want to berate all fat people and blame them for the high cost of health care, consider that the life expectancy for a heavy person is far less and you don't pay any health care expenses for a dead person. How much of a burden on society is the 99 year-old slim guy getting a knee replacement on medicare?

The point is, folks should not feel they can get away with ridiculing a heavy person, regardless of the reason for their overweight. No one prefers carrying around 100 extra pounds and buying all their clothes on-line and trying to pretend that there is anything else going through the mind of someone they're talking to, than how horrible they look. Many try to fight the battle, some have given up, but it's not up to us to try and make their world any crummier than it already is.

So you are saying that there is an American obesity gene? Why has that just came about too in the last decades and gotten much worse in the last 25 years? And why when I have lived and worked overseas, this obesity gene does not appear? Comparing something racial does not work either, since there is no caucasion obesity explosion.

This thread was about a fat woman who was able to get the seat of a skinny woman, because the fat woman needed two seats. Last I checked, there are fat people who think they are entitled to two seats for the price of one too, its not ridiculing to expect them to buy two seats if they need two seats.

Look, its not coincidental that Americans now are the most overweight people in the world and that also have the highest caloric intake. Nor is it coincidental that more Americans that ever before have sedentary lifestyles.
yes, some people have an easier time with it than others, but its that way with anything in life.

No, it was about an unaccompanied minor who needed to be on a plane. Coincidently, she needed 2 seats IAW Southwest policy, but it was juicier to make it all about a teen who was overweight, so that all the self-righteous can condemn her without fear of reprisal.

I think it is completely reasonable to compare discrimination based on weight to racial discrimination. All other races could try and be more "white" and thus "acceptable" to the sensibilities of the most judgemental among us.

Should they have to, just to avoid bigotry?

As far as an American obesity gene, that I don't know. The geometric explosion of obesity across the American population leads one to believe that whatever triggered the gene to become active/mutated, happened in a population that shared similar environment. Given a half-dozen generations exposed to a high-sugar, high-carb diet (and whatever genetic effects that has) and folks with that gene passing it along and you have a nation that could eat a 2000 calorie diet forever and still be fat. They might only be as slim as someone without that gene if they go to extrordinary measures.

Measures, I might add, that are not encouraged by fat jokes.

American obesity directly corresponds to the introduction of video games and the FDA approval high fructose corn syrup, both in the mid 1970s. Obesity rates began climbing significantly around the same time.

As far as an American obesity gene, that I don't know. . . . . BURP!!!

Measures, I might add, that are not encouraged by fat jokes.

Look, guy, wake the hell up. The Americans who are fat are that way because they eat crappy food that is made in a factory and don't get enough exercise.

This may end up aggravating existing health problems, but most of these fatties could be cured by a change in what they eat, a commitment to getting regular exercise, and not circling the parking lot at Wal-mart looking for the closest spot to the Little Debbies department.

What does it mean to " supplement exercise"? Dosen't everyone need exercise? One cannot assume to be able to sit around and not get fat even if they eat right. Man was made to be mobile and movement is needed to make our bodies run correctly. Ever had 3-4 days of only enough time to sleep, eat, and fly and not have regular BMs. Go for a jog and everything is back to normal. Evolution does not happen in a couple of generations. It takes 100s if not 1000s of generations to drastically change a specie's genes. I think that most obese people do not even notice how much or what they eat. If they did and realized it then they would not be overweight to begin with. Its all about being honest with yourself and making a choice to live healthier regarless of what others around you are doing. Whoever you want to be, surround yourself with those types of people and it will be easier to achieve your goals. If you don't want to be fat then stop hanging out with fat people. It might be mean to say or think but nothing worth having is easy.

American obesity directly corresponds to the introduction of video games and the FDA approval high fructose corn syrup, both in the mid 1970s. Obesity rates began climbing significantly around the same time.

I totally argree about the HFCS but lets lay off the video games.

Latest resources

Back