Thin flier: Southwest booted me for overweight teen

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Agreed Ty-
I'm a huge advocate for exercise- Productive healing exercise everyday- and live it everyday-
my point is against the contempt some have against overweight people-
I just don't get that. Would love to understand actually.

I don't make excuses- but I do look at things systemically- as processed and sugary foods have gotten cheaper through a complicit govt that chooses to ignore the science- people have gotten fatter- it's no mystery to me when healthy foods are 2-3 times as expensive as unhealthy food-
I'm sure I'll be called names- but I'm absolutely in favor of taxing the absolute hell out of unhealthy foods and using it to subsidize healthy food- people will always do what's in their own short term best interests- make it cheap and the long term will be a fitter more productive citizenry-

Yeah it absolutley does. Why are you concerned about what other people are doing wrong instead of what YOU are?

Here's the thing, mr. high and mighty............ I never said being overweight was 'wrong'. YOU are the one who just said that.

I merely said it was optional.

I couldn't care less how much you or anyone else weighs.

If an overweight person enjoys being overweight...great, good for them. If an overweight person doesn't like being overweight, it is entirely within their power to change that. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it. Let's stop pretending that's not the case.

It's not overweight people that bother me. It's people who make up excuses instead of taking responsibility for the consequences of their own actions.

Last edited:
I disagree that overweight/obese people don't affect others with their actions. Airline seats are a classic example as in this case. Trains, planes, automobiles, theater seats, etc. Someone extra hefty takes up extra room in confined spots and in dense areas that is a very real issue. Health care costs are on a never ending climb up and there's multiple reasons, but surely the un-healthly lifestyles is a big chunk of those rising costs. For the pilot profession, I'd put being super sized as a pilot in uniform walking in the terminal on par with walking with a wrinkled stained uniform - not looking professional. Brings the entire profession down a peg in general.

Not that it should lead to mean spirited condemnation. Just not a fan of the pretend it's not a serious correctable issue. Personally, I have had a couple times in my life where I became 10-15 pounds overweight, someone said something and I was very thankful for the motivation to slim right back down through hard work and effort.

as processed and sugary foods have gotten cheaper through a complicit govt that chooses to ignore the science- people have gotten fatter- it's no mystery to me when healthy foods are 2-3 times as expensive as unhealthy food . . . . I'm absolutely in favor of taxing the absolute hell out of unhealthy foods and using it to subsidize healthy food--

Sign me up, too. I stopped eating "factory-made food" years ago.

Yeah- I know I'm coming across high and mighty- but to be honest, I struggle with it-
like Kali said- I'm not on the fence- I believe it's serious self abuse (ie - wrong)and 100% correctable- I just don't get getting mad at them for it- I've never met a fat person who wanted to be fat- and I think we have agreed to a lot of things food supply wise that is only making it harder to be healthy-
I also feel grateful that I have the financial means and time to cook and eat healthy- I've prioritized that- but I'm still grateful- I've had times where I had to eat Raman

Latest resources

Back