• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Thin flier: Southwest booted me for overweight teen

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's actually very simple. SWA is simply bowing to Obamacare. Obese/sick people will crowd out healthy people and get more resources whether they deserve them or not. Healthy people will pay more for those who are less-healthy. All liberal democrats should love and agree with this SWA incident. Power to the unfortunate people!!!! Sign of the times....

It's actually very simple. SWA is simply bowing to Obamacare. Obese/sick people will crowd out healthy people and get more resources whether they deserve them or not. Healthy people will pay more for those who are less-healthy. All liberal democrats should love and agree with this SWA incident. Power to the unfortunate people!!!! Sign of the times....

And the demise of the U.S.

Alright Rush, put down the oxycontin. That wasn't even a good try to sneak in your politics.....a pretty stupid try, actually. This had nothing to do with healthcare reform.

As for the weight loss thing, it is all, 100%, absolutely, totally lifestyle. Period. The genetics argument is crap. It is a cop-out. My parents are heavy. I was heavy (388 to be exact). Now, I ain't heavy (172-175 to be exact, and kept it off for the last 2 years). I eat healthy and get my lazy rear end to the gym for a 3-4 mile run 3 days a week. As someone said, it is simple -- more calories in than out, you gain weight. More calories out than in, you lose weight. It can be done. It just takes work, discipline, and a good support network (and no fast-food or soda -- diet or regular, as those are the death of American society).

Did you eat TWICE as much as the average 175lb person? Probably not. I would guess the average obese person eats at the most, 20% more than a slim counterpart. Most people (of all weights) do not perform any supplemental excercise, yet some are heavy and some aren't.

I admit there is a portion of the obese population that is drawn to consumption of large quantities of food and much of it is unhealthy. However, the epidemic of obesity is much greater than can be explained by that small subgroup. Obesity is not entirely a self-control issue.

But the acceptance of bigotry toward the obese does impact their self image. The "support network" you mentioned is entirely eclipsed by society's free pass at denigrating the overweight, perhaps to mask their (society's) own self-loathing (I don't know, I'm no psychologist).

So when you see an overweight person, you are looking at a complex web of issues that deserve more understanding and less prejudice.

We are more fat than any other generation. Why....because of our prosperity. There is a small portion of the population that has a medical issue that contributes to their weight. Most people that are overweight over eat. They overeat and under exercise. Before modern modes of transportation, people walked. Before air conditioning, people sweated more. Before fast food, people ate less. This problem is purely a side effect of our prosperity!!!

If everyone on our country limited themselves to 2 modest meals a day and simply walked for 30-45 minutes for 3 times a week, we would be a different place in a year.

But I digress.....Let's supersize my personal pizza and coke.....and since I am here go ahead and toss in that chocolate thingy!!!

Did you eat TWICE as much as the average 175lb person? Probably not. I would guess the average obese person eats at the most, 20% more than a slim counterpart. Most people (of all weights) do not perform any supplemental excercise, yet some are heavy and some aren't.

I admit there is a portion of the obese population that is drawn to consumption of large quantities of food and much of it is unhealthy. However, the epidemic of obesity is much greater than can be explained by that small subgroup. Obesity is not entirely a self-control issue.

But the acceptance of bigotry toward the obese does impact their self image. The "support network" you mentioned is entirely eclipsed by society's free pass at denigrating the overweight, perhaps to mask their (society's) own self-loathing (I don't know, I'm no psychologist).

So when you see an overweight person, you are looking at a complex web of issues that deserve more understanding and less prejudice.

Grumpy,

Simply, yes I did eat twice as much as the average 175 pound person. Not in quantity of food, but in quantity of calories. I ate double the calories that I needed. And, did not exercise the extra calories away.

You are correct, obesity is not entirely a self-control issue. There are studies that show once a person passes a certain BMI, the weight will not come off as easily. However, it can still come off with self-control, discipline, and (I'll say it again) a solid support network.

As for the prejudice from society, again, I do not disagree. It is there and blatant, and should not be. It takes a hell of a lot of work to change for the long term. But, we also should not accept obesity and just ignore the problems it causes. It has to be addressed. It is a condition that is killing us (and costing the rest of us billions of dollars a year in increased health-care costs). We need to do something...

I don't know if your last comment was to me or not. But, if it was, trust me, I know exactly how much understanding we need and the level of support that is necessary to lose the weight and keep it off. I'm just saying that it can be done -- eat less, exercise more, and the weight does come off (and stays off...)

Whataburger,

Everyone knows that there is only one "good" burger joint -- In 'n Out :D

I could not agree more!

And, the only "great" burger joint -- Whataburger!!

However, when on the West Coast, I loves me some In 'n Out and some Carl's Jr.

I had an FO once that was in excellent health. He ate about every 20 minutes ALL day long and never ate a large lunch or dinner.

He said it was amazing how many Captains he flew with that whined about not being able to lose weight. How hard they worked out and dieted. "Woe is me, what am I doing wrong?"

He noticed when it was time for lunch, he would get a salad or veggie wrap, and the poor struggling Captain would almost ALWAYS come back with Panda express, extra egg roll, and a LARGE diet coke.

Nah................Probably just a thyroid issue

If it were not for the very good responses and thoughtful conversations here, i would have moved this thread.. but it has alot of merit, and I hope that some people take heed.. as well as those that don't understand the complex nature of this condition on average..
Just my advise from personal knowledge...
Don't look at loosing weight as a "diet" it is just the kind of food one eats on a daily basis and the amount of cals they burn..( life style change). I hate to admit it here but, I was one of those back in the day, and have now lost 75lbs in less than 6 months just by reducing my carb and calorie intake combined with moderate walking..3 times a week.. I have learned to make most of my families meals fresh each day, salads cut fresh, very lean meats, little of no breads and potatoes except every other week, I get to have them in moderation..this helps keep the body's engine burning and prevents stagnation of weight loss..

Yea go ahead.. but what does one do when your out of work.. mr. mom.. hehe..

Good conversation...

Latest resources

Back