• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Thin flier: Southwest booted me for overweight teen

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wow! That is awesome, absolutely awesome! Congrats to you, and I mean that sincerely.

+1

congrats-

genetics play a part- but not as big as you think.10% maybe-
if you have a disease requiring prednisone or any other coticosteroid- it will be ridiculously hard to maintain a healthy weight.
ALL people deserve our compassion. Especially the overweight. Psychobabble body image issues are hard to combat much less the physiological.
If you are healthy- be grateful- and be helpful- not judgemental. And words of encouragement aren't needed. Your love and example are.

Our govt is not performing it's regulatory role when it comes to our food supply. Sugar/transfats/hfcs/sodium are all at lethal levels.
I support a no excuse world- but feel that applies to govt as well- it's simple and would save all the productive people a lot of $$ if we made healthy choices cheaper and bad ones expensive-

That said - no excuses-
eat protein- vegis- drink water limit sugar/salt/badfats- and it pays huge rewards.
This diet is easier with exercise.

If you haven't read Younger Next Year- buy it and give it to every relative your remotely concerned about. Everyone ought to exercise for 44-60 minutes/day- every day- it sets off a flood of life preserving / regenerating chemicals to flood the body-
and you will sleep better and crave healthier foods. And work your core- it's your energizer.

Good luck - you can do it.
I wish you all good health-

American obesity directly corresponds to the introduction of video games and the FDA approval high fructose corn syrup, both in the mid 1970s. Obesity rates began climbing significantly around the same time.

+1
play outside. Wear sunscreen- be/work/play/exercise outside as much as possible. Genetically we are not designed to be indoor cats.

What does it mean to " supplement exercise"? Dosen't everyone need exercise?

A 12 year-olds body (the person in the Southwest issue was a UM) is growing and changing and their normal activities should be enough to avoid significant weight gain. This is a critical time and they should be active in order to establish basic muscular and skeletal foundations. However, a person with a genetic predisposition to overweight would have to do far more exercise than the average person to stem the tendency to become obese. That they do not go above and beyond does not make them deservnig of the label "lazy slob".

If you are close to someone who is obese and who isn't constantly in front of a carton of Ben and Jerry's ask them to write down what they eat for 1 week and do the same yourself and compare at the end of the week. I think you'll find it to be an eye opener. Many (I would dare to say most) overweight people do not consume that many more calories than their slim counterparts.

I eat a LOT more than my fat brethren-A LOT- and I better- granted it's not a diet of simple sugars- but it's a lot more calories.
it's about exercise. And the discipline to treat it like work- my job- and do it first thing everyday-- a minimum 100 situps before bed and I have energy to spare.

Funny- rarely do I ever feel tired from too much exercise- often feel tired when I don't get enough- like previous poster said - exercise is your starter- everything from diet to sleep to work gets easier if you've exercised.

In some cultures fat is beautiful. This has been true in Western culture too at various points in our history. If this was still the case, would be be picking on the chick who can't get off her boney ass and eat a cheeseburger?

I see what you are saying about supplementing exercise. I have and do calculate how much I eat in a day and it is far more than most. But that is because I am a triathlete training for my next ironman. I mostly have a hard time not eating enough even though I eat 4-5 times a day and my wife is always complaining about how much I eat or that I need to eat constantly. What makes it hard to get enough calories is not eating junk food. Cut out all the processed food and you have to eat a lot more to get the same calories. I really do not think that limiting your food is the answer but rather uping the amount of exercise. I am proof that you can eat over 3500 calories a day and still not get enough. I think it is good that so many are passionate about being healthy. That is way better then those who simply do not care.

One of the "industry experts" said the crew likely didn't want to subject the morbidly obese teen undue embarrassment by removing her/his from a flight due to her/his weight. Perhaps, if that kid had a few more "embarassing" moments in their life, as opposed to everyone tiptoeing around their "condition", he/she would stop shoving twinkies in his/her mouth and walk a little.

People are born different colors, handsome, pretty, and ugly, skinny, and a bit chunky. You are what you are. You are not born morbidly obese. You have to work at that. How about a salad not smothered with blue cheese and bacon accompanied by a side of babyback ribs and a 2 liter of coke.. hey, i ate a salad though....

Last 2 posts are ignorant. Embarrassing moments don't help- if they had pride instead of shame maybe it would- all you'll do is be a dick yourself, and they'll dive deeper into themselves and the comfort food-

You have to be cognizant of the chemical reaction obese people are addicted to. If you don't understand- better to just be quiet and try to empathize.

Last edited:
Why is the assumption that a person is overweight due entirely to their own lack of willpower and therefore deserving of ridicule? Their weight issue may be just as genetic as someone who is tall or otherwise outside the limits considered "normal", but because there are many who do get fat due to overeating, they are immediately lumped together. .

That would be because no matter what your genetics, how tall you are, or any other excuse you want to come up with, the laws of physics make it impossible to weigh 300 pounds unless you've jammed at least 300 pounds of food into your pie hole. At any point, all you had to do was not jam so much food into there. Being overweight is OPTIONAL.

Latest resources

Back