The US Airways Recall Decision: Deal or No Deal

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BenderGonzales

In many ways it is similar to the popular gameshow. Open a suitcase. It might hold a million dollars. Or, it could hold a few hundred before the next furlough.

For many of us it has been almost 5 years since we were furloughed. The pain has worn off and, except for those who took J4J opportunities, most of us have moved on.

If you went to work for what ALPA considers a "competing carrier", then you were unceremoniously removed from the ALPA website. Left in an information vacuum we relied on websites such as this one and US Aviation to scrape together information regarding our ex-employer. Periodically we would get letters or phonecalls from US Airways regarding new J4J opportunities or MidAtlantic class dates. Those were relatively easy to decline.

But today we are facing the reality that, with a rumored 25 recalls a month, we will be forced to open another suitcase in the very near future. If they should happen to offer a group-2 aircraft, it could be our last suitcase.

So I'm wondering what factors some of you are using to make that decision. Where are you right now? Will you accept recall? Will you bypass? If you bypass, do you intend to go back? Or are you using the recall as an insurance policy? If so, how do you feel about losing that insurance policy when they call for the last time?

I admit that, especially over the last two years, I've been fairly outspoken regarding my intention to bypass and then resign. I have a fairly good corporate job and, for the most part, an excellent schedule with good pay. The equipment leaves something to be desired -- but I dont want to abandon this job based solely on my own personal version of shiny-jet-syndrome either.

I would like to move back towards the northeast, but realistically i'd be commuting for at least several months. Unless I could hold Charlotte, it would be a 2-leg commute. The E190 (at least the copilot seat) pays less than I am currently paid, so that seems like a no-brainer. The group-2 aircraft would be about a wash when I'm recalled -- but the pay would quickly outpace what i'm currently making.

I have a family to care for, a retirement to plan, college to save for. If i'm furloughed again... then I'm out of ideas and space in my closet for uniforms. So i'm staring at the suitcase and wondering what to do...

How about you? Deal or no deal?

I am using it as an insurance policy....something that one doesn't often have in this business......

As I am near the top of the furloughed list....and can pass at will for at least 3-5 years, I don't see the need to make a quick, rash decision. Further, it gives me the chance to see how this "merger" works out and how much of an a$$ rippin seniority wise we take before I make a move.

All in all, not a bad place to be. However, does anyone else wonder why they sent the furlough section of the contract to you with your recall letter?

A350

It's a no brainier for me, I am recently layed off and have nothing to lose. There are no guaranty's in this crazy industry. I do feel that USAir is positioned well right now,who knows about 5,10, or 15 years from now. When I was hired in 89 it was one of the best jobs you could have in the industry. I have only spent 6 years on the property since because of furloughs.

If you want something to back up another furlough get in the guard or reserve if you have that option. If not, then accept recall and learn another occupation while at USAir to back yourself up in case of another furlough. Send you wife back to school, and save as much money as you can.

I do think you have a while to make up your mind. It will take a while to go through the entire list. Why not just wait until you have to say yes or no,that way you can keep your options open as long as possible. If you are really young,go back to school and get into the medical profession. You will always have a job no matter where you go and will not have to worry about getting laid off.

Whatever you decide I wish you the best of luck because you will probably need it in this un-predictable industry of commercial aviation.

A350. I can't imagine why they sent the furlough section of the contract. Does it say anything applicable?

Also, 3-5 years? I understand that you can bypass the E190 indefinately. But once they call with a Group 2 airplane, I was under the impression that you had to make the decision at that time to either accept recall, or resign. No?

I was hired in Jan of 99 and have not yet received a recall letter. Can you tell the rest of us what to expect? Thanks!

A350. I can't imagine why they sent the furlough section of the contract. Does it say anything applicable?

Also, 3-5 years? I understand that you can bypass the E190 indefinitely. But once they call with a Group 2 airplane, I was under the impression that you had to make the decision at that time to either accept recall, or resign. No?

I was hired in Jan of 99 and have not yet received a recall letter. Can you tell the rest of us what to expect? Thanks!

The furlough section was sent so you know the rules of the game when it comes to recall protocol. You can pass an E190 F/O and a west metal indefinitely. When they ask for anything other than the aforementioned it's time to either get off the pot or do your duty if they have started to come back up the list in reverse order.

Last edited:
"I understand that you can bypass the E190 indefinately" - I believe you can bypass only the E-190 FO position indefinately, you can bypass the E-190 CA position and any mainline position as long as there are still guys on furlough below you. Once they come back up (from bottom to top, years from now imho) offering only 190 CA (if the 190 is still on the mainline properity) or mainline positions its either come back or your off the list for good.

Here is my 2 cents on U down the road:

After the lists are merged there will be too many pilots as they will shrink. No furloughs however as the shrinkage will be met with the retiring guys 2008 to 2012 lots of them. I see an order for next gen 737 and somthing larger to match however this really won't be growth it will just replace older 737's. In order to get this order which management will sell to the active mainline guys as growth they will want to give the 190's to some contract carrier. Of course they will sell the junior guys dow the river and bite on the offer.

I don't think you'll ever see a mainline fleet much bigger than the one we will have once the east and west fleets are combined. The only growth will be in the 170 to 190 flying segment and like I said I bet management has plans to contract all that out.

By the time U hire from the street our kids will be graduating from ERAU. The APL list will fill the attrition over the years leaving the ones at the bottom who take a recall to be the next furlough fodder for management mistakes.

6 Months ago I was flying the whale on 2nd year pay for more than U offers on 5th year pay so bypass was a no brainer until group two came up then it was decision time. However we took a hose job from mgmt. over there and now I am furloughed again....so now it is still a no brainer....just the opposite of what I thought.

I really liked what one of our esteemed senior pilots said on the ALPA national board....a certian Capt. that posts daily about getting the age 60 rule changed...He said that "Any USair pilot that is not currently working after 5 years is just plain lazy"........this was in defense of some of his less than popular statements he has made in his crusade. After having a corporate flight department shut down on me, and after being furloughed yet again it was nice to see some good old fashion brotherhood still rolling around!

I think that this guy was one of the guys that gleefully supported the transfer of flying to the RJ's in order to try to save his own skin back in BK...so it should not surprise me that he is still only interested in his own skin.

Hmm, small rant off topic here, sorry. I'll just go back to being furloughed and lazy now!!

Deeaal......or No Deal?............we will find out......right after this break!

Question for you guys in the know....

Each time there is a recall bid for USAIR.....

A. Do they restart at the top and call everyone again until the slots are filled?

or

B. Do they pick up where they left off from the last recall and continue down the list?

THANKS!

Latest resources

Back