• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The US Airways Recall Decision: Deal or No Deal

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Are they really sending out a "preference form" that indicates whether you wish to come back for the E190 or a group II and, if so, what are they doing with it? I can't imagine that ALPA would agree to let them skip names during recall based on what is on such a sheet...

...but ALPA's surprised me before.

First of all, I think it's very enlightening that you chose to compare this decision with "Deal or No Deal". That show could just as easily be called "Just How Greedy are You?" I really think that you're right on when you admit to having a version of SJS in considering returning to U. As you're aware BG I'm in the same state of mind. I think bypass is the smart move, certainly for the 190 and probably even on the initial pass of the group 2s. My understanding is that you can bypass group 2 until they're on the way back UP the list with a last chance offer.

My decision making is based almost solely on QOL. I have tried extremely hard to make decisions based on time with my family since 9/11, and to date I think I've done pretty well with that, although at significant financial cost. I have turned down jobs that pay considerably better than what I'm doing now in order to keep flying and avoid commuting. Truth be told I'd probably be better off in the grand scheme if I was not so stubborn, but my girls will only be young for a few more years and then they'll be more concerned with friends, boys, music, etc., so maybe at that point I'll go back. I guess you could say, at this point anyway, that I view recall as insurance. I do figure that I'll probably end up back there eventually, strictly for the money that I'll need to retire, buy college educations, prom dresses, weddings, etc. If I were to upgrade here anytime soon (not likely), or find a good corp gig locally I might permanently bypass recall, otherwise I guess I'll bypass 'til it suits me.

Are they really sending out a "preference form" that indicates whether you wish to come back for the E190 or a group II and, if so, what are they doing with it? I can't imagine that ALPA would agree to let them skip names during recall based on what is on such a sheet...

...but ALPA's surprised me before.

All it amounts to is yea or nay on the possibility of a recall.If you don't respond it is a nay. Nothing is mentioned about specific A/C.

"My understanding is that you can bypass group 2 until they're on the way back UP the list with a last chance offer."

Yes this is true, but I also think that you cannot bypass an E190 Capt offer. However, this most likely won't be a problem as all the 190 CA slots will should be taken before the group2 slots go.

Your correct. The only bypassing is on the 190 f/o IF they are going through final calls. But I don't think final calls will go out for some time.

Swaayze,

I have absolutely no doubt that commuting to reserve would be a huge impact to my family and I. So, with that in mind, I had to put greed aside and take a more careful look at the package.

Interestingly, when I started looking at the payrates I found that they don't really have the impact that they used to. After all, group II pay is only $62/hr for a furloughee with 3 years longevity. Short call reserve has a 76 hr guarantee, so we're talking $4700/month pre-tax. So what does that equate to? Around $42000/yr after taxes?

When you add in the cost of commuting, a crashpad, and transportation etc. at your base, we're talking about commuter airline pay for group-two equipment.

So lets look longer term. If the airline survives and these mass retirements occur (with or without age 65) over the next decade then we can start looking at captain rates within 10 years.

10 year captain pay around $120-$130/hr. Still not anywhere close to what it was when we were on the property, but now we're looking at $9200/month (pre-tax) or around $77000/yr after taxes (assuming 76 hr guarantee).

Well shoot. Might as well take greed out of the equation unless you know something I dont know. That leaves only one thing (in my case) shiny-jet-syndrome.

Will I succumb to the lure of a nice comfortable A320 with an APU (ahhhh air conditioning), a lav, and enough room in the cockpit to turn your head without banging it on the overhead?

Time will tell. But if I do succumb to the lure of the shiny jet without regard to the long-term lifestyle and financial impact, then you have my permission to call me a dumbass.

I got a copy of LOA 93 today and had a brief minute to breeze through it. Wow.

Did I read correctly that years 1-7 only accrue 1 week of vacation!?

Did I read correctly that LTD is only pays for 2 years?! Long term my ass!

Did I read correctly that a reserve is only out of time if he does 285 hours in a 3 month period?! That's 95/mo average! Holy crap can you say fatigue?

Did I read correctly that you only have 60 hours of regular sick available unlesss you're on a long-term sick of more than 21 days!?

Did I read correctly that the VP Flt Ops sets the monthly cap as high as 95 with no restrictions, and can flex it 5 from there?! Ouch!

The only thing that got me excited was that the 75 hour option with SAP-ability down to 60 is still available! I figure that's probably a bad sign for me going back....

I will do more research but it ain't too pretty so far. I hope I missed a lot in my initial scan and I'm way off base here.

Hmmm........You might have missed a few more horrifying things. Those might have actually been the good parts...LOL. Actually it's not laughing, it's pretty sad. Though the 1-7 yrs and such, at the time nobody cared, because. Oh everyone was on 12 yr at the time...........I thought there was a ladder around here???

"Though the 1-7 yrs and such, at the time nobody cared, because. Oh everyone was on 12 yr at the time."

mmmhmmm. "Screw you. I've got mine" - ALPA Motto

Latest resources

Back