Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Just Peachy

The Real Danger....

Talking with pilots on the road, I think the NJA contract will not pass. However there is talk that the new MEC committee will not come into power until the first of the year... ( elections are the end of OCT.)

This will give the company One more shot at a comeback offer, to get this POS contract passed.

Depending on how the vote percentages go, the company will offer more money (either pay or bonus) and leave the basic contract as is.. and the current MEC will accept it for another vote and the fence jumpers may be powereful enough to tip the scales ( 50% +1).

This situation will get MGMT the contract THEY want for a little more money..

If Strongunion arrives at the docks, they will change some, if not all the bad language in the contract, Hopefully.

If this TA fails, I do not think there is time to present a revised TA before a new MEC is seated.

I do not think the company will offer more just to get what most pilots call a concessionary contract.

I suspect that the management pukes think the the terms of the TA are anything but concessionary and are wondering how to dispose of the signing bonus.

kingtut said:
If this TA fails, I do not think there is time to present a revised TA before a new MEC is seated.

I was just in Grnd recurrent last week and there is talk of delaying the new MEC takeing office. That would give the company enough time to make another offer.

When the new MEC gets in there, THIS CONTRACT WILL CHANGE. Of course no one knows how long that will take............

The real threat to NJA pilots......

Those 5 a$$holes who are currently our MEC. They are the threat.

The 1 a$$hole gets a 737 type rating during negotiations?????

The attorney has no aviation experience except the BBJ LOU and this pos contract.

Another a$$hole admitted in one of the road shows they screwed up on the seniority and merger language.

The list goes on and on.

NJA COULD be a good place to work provided these 5 a$$holes and local 284 were not negotiating our contract and our future.

Time will tell but its not looking good.

If all goes well, the TA will go down in flames. What happens then will depend on how much it fails by.

If it's close, like 60/40, the company and outgoing MEC will try a quick save by offering more retro. They'll probably double it, and then send the it out before the end of the year. Unfortunately, this will sway more fence-sitters to vote "yes" and it might pass.

If it's not close, like 80/20, then the MEC will be dead in the water. They will do nothing, the new Strong Union guys will come in, and it will be a whole new ballgame.

If you're a pilot in today's industry with any hope of ever making this a profession, you are hoping for the second scenario.

And......

Rez O. Lewshun said:
There is more than just hourly rate. It's called your W-2!
And don't forget quality of life. What stuns me the most about this TA(from what I know about it) is the major rollback of domiciles, especially for newhires. Paying for airfare and/or crashpads to get to LAX, EWR, MCO or CMH cuts into your net. Not to mention spending an extra night away from home. Very bad for QOL.

Hell Hath No Fury Like A Woman Scorned!

Flex, I'm doing more than just hoping. I'm working the phone and email, getting out the NO vote and organizing the APA families into a support group. NJ wives have started their own separate board--a yahoo group arrangement. It is very active. I am coaching those wives on how to get the families in their areas organized. A strong grass-roots movement has taken hold--come October, the phone wires will be burning up!

Frac Daddy, I'd like to add to your QOL list, if I may. Don't forget to mention that the company is trying to steal time-off from the families by making the pilots be available by 2pm on their last day home, and by requiring pilots to do home study--for FREE?!! These are just 2 more "insults" that will not be tolerated by the wives. We have all had it!

No way do I want this TA to pass. It is a real breach loading for the pilot group if passed. Was not aware that the seating of New MEC could be delayed. News to me, but I am a bit on the stupid side sometimes.

Let's be careful not to belive our own press reports and internal polls. We all have the tendency to listen to those that we agree foresakeing the other side of the argument. Remember Newt Gingrich. He went down in flames beliving he was bullet proof because his press reports told him so. I'll bet even Kerry's internal polls show him ahead.

NetJetsWife, et al. Remember, the USAF sanctioned and condoned strong family support groups, provided training, and perhaps, depending upon the Wing Commander, provide some form of funding via free space to meet and admin support. The mighty Net Jets ain't gonna help ya a bit. I tip my hat to you none the less.

Someone commented on a strong union waiting in the wings. All I know is what I read in the news papers and I can tell you that a strong union in made of its members and nothing more. Does not matter the local or the national.

Going it alone and doing fine.

The lack of funding and official sanction, is the reason that I call this a grass-roots movement. It truly is coming from within, born of the emotions experienced by the vast majority of the pilots and their wives--anger, frustration and a sense of betrayal. The ONLY good thing about this POS TA is the wake up call it has given the members. Determination is running as high as our blood pressure, these days. The wives are working closely with our REAL leadership. I provide online advice to wives scattered across the country. I recruit them on our message board, and send them out into their own gateway areas to set up local support groups. Interest is very strong; everyone welcomes support and involvement. You are right. WE, the pilots and their wives, are the union. And as such, are our own best advocate. No one understands what a NetJets family goes through--like another NJ family. We are working in UNISON to get what the pilots have earned and their families deserve. THAT is the true definition of a union.

StrongUnion is the name of our new panel of representatives that will be replacing the current MEC, who have so badly tarnished the title, that it has become a disparaging term. Now days, StrongUnion is used to refer to our real leadership. They are "waiting in the wings" and working behind the scenes already to bring about the changes that we all endorse, starting with voting down this insulting, outrageous TA. Hope that helps to clarify things. :)

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back