• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The logic of relative seniority

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You're say 35% (or 65%, or 85%) up the list at the previous company and you end up 35% (or 65%, or 85%) up the list at the new company. Done.

I'm sorry to be the one to break it to you, but it's just not gonna work that way. All you AAI guys that think "the law requires relative seniority" are going to be sorely disappointed. The law requires a "fair and equitable" integration, and there is nothing fair nor equitable about relative seniority in this case. This isn't a merger of equals by any stretch of the imagination. It is a stronger company with the best pilot contract in the industry buying a weaker company with the worst pilot contract in the industry (that's what YOU bring to the table). All those inequities will be taken into account, and the ISL will reflect the extreme benefit that this acquisition is to all AAI pilot's career expectations - increasing said career expectations past any point that could have reasonably been expected had AAI remained a stand-alone carrier. To think that this process and/or an arbitration panel is going to ignore the numerous benefits to the AAI pilot group is just ludicrous. To expect and demand it is just greedy.

Fraternally,
PapaWoody

It's amazing how quickly a lottery winning attitude turns to entitlement...

"Wheah my check at?!"

Just look at the MESA/West pilots based in Phoenix! There is one unargueable fact that is uniform across all airlined: DATE OF HIRE! Southwest wouldn't have anything to worry about if they merged with USAPA because what each side brought to the merger, seniority, would be perserved.
How do you board non rev on your airplane? DOH
How do the flight attendants integrate? DOH
How do other employee groups integrate? DOH

See the pattern? When you deviate from it that's when you get the entitlement crowd (AWA and now AAI) starting to expect the moon! Give em all date of hire and the problem is solved!

Nice spin Ty. VA is a privately held company and does not publish public financial reports, so their true profitability is anyone's guess.

It's pretty obvious what their financial position is when they had several recent "capital calls" beacuse they required an infusion of large sums of money from its investors to stay afloat, and now this, the first announcement of a profitable quarter, their financial condition is very much different than AirTran, which has been profitable for 9 out of the last 10 years.

Jose, you want me to say something I disagree with. It ain't gonna happen.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to be the one to break it to you, but it's just not gonna work that way. All you AAI guys that think "the law requires relative seniority" are going to be sorely disappointed. The law requires a "fair and equitable" integration, and there is nothing fair nor equitable about relative seniority in this case. This isn't a merger of equals by any stretch of the imagination. It is a stronger company with the best pilot contract in the industry buying a weaker company with the worst pilot contract in the industry (that's what YOU bring to the table). All those inequities will be taken into account, and the ISL will reflect the extreme benefit that this acquisition is to all AAI pilot's career expectations - increasing said career expectations past any point that could have reasonably been expected had AAI remained a stand-alone carrier. To think that this process and/or an arbitration panel is going to ignore the numerous benefits to the AAI pilot group is just ludicrous. To expect and demand it is just greedy.

Fraternally,
PapaWoody
You're sort of right. We aren't a merger of equals. AirTran was growing while SWA was stagnate. Career expectations are the biggest factor in the SLI. We have much faster upgrade times. AAI is now at 4 years and 6 months for 717 cpt. This will mean relative seniority will not work. You can expect many FO from AAI will be given higher than relative seniority to make up for the now slower upgrade time.

PS...PapaWoody is soo going to be one of those guys who will carry this grudge with him to the grave. Sorry but that is why you are so fun to mess with.

Everyone needs to watch it with the personal attacks. They're just not allowed.

Yes, I know it's subjective to whether calling someone an idiot for their view on here differs from calling someone a "scumbag", but it's my call, and I'm making it. Be mad at me if you want, but I'm just not going to let this denigrate to that level.

/mod

You're sort of right. We aren't a merger of equals. AirTran was growing while SWA was stagnate. Career expectations are the biggest factor in the SLI. We have much faster upgrade times. AAI is now at 4 years and 6 months for 717 cpt. This will mean relative seniority will not work. You can expect many FO from AAI will be given higher than relative seniority to make up for the now slower upgrade time.

LOL...you are hilarious! I almost feel bad laughing, because I was raised better than to laugh at slow kids.

PW

PS What color is the sky in your world?

Ever been on furlough? I have- twice! Wouldn't wish it on anyone!!!
Shows what a class act you are bud.

Ever hear of binding arbitration? Obviously not, since you find yourself in the position you do. I wouldn't wish it on anyone what you did.
Back to your 190 and your mesa style pay rates, junior. (or do mesa pilots actually make more)

Everyone needs to watch it with the personal attacks. They're just not allowed.

Yes, I know it's subjective to whether calling someone an idiot for their view on here differs from calling someone a "scumbag", but it's my call, and I'm making it. Be mad at me if you want, but I'm just not going to let this denigrate to that level.

/mod

I see that it was my post you deleted in response to st. nic. The word "scumbag," I used was the only one I thought would get past the censor, yet get my point across about pukes like him!
He continues to bring east/west diatribe with his latest response calling west pilots mesa west. So you ban 400Adude for 30 days, good on ya. Can't stand him. How about throwing the rest of us a bone and banning st. nic for for 30 days or better yet, permamently, for his continuing to bring us air east/west BS into every stinking thread?
You obviously don't have any problem banning people, myself included.
So....How about it?

Latest resources

Back