• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The logic of relative seniority

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Insaity is not living by binding arbitration. Something the east failed to do. Insanity is thinking anything after 20 years and 2 furloughs and still only able to hold e190 f/o, making mesa type wages. Insanity is screwing over the pilots who saved your job.
Insanity is continuing to let us air operate. It should have died when America West purchased you!

USAirways would have come out just fine without MesaWest! That's a fact Jack! We have former Metrojet captains placed behind probationary pilots at MesaWest! Show me the logic in that??? You can't! DOH prevents the insanity

Would that not be DOH then. If AAI started in 1993 then the top pilot would have a DOH of 1993. He would then start the ratio and he would be below all the SWA 1992 guys. Am I correct in that assumption?

Not in it's purest sense. It would be DOH up to 1992 and a ratio thereafter.

USAirways would have come out just fine without MesaWest! That's a fact Jack! ...

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!! You were trying to make us laugh with that statement, weren't you?

MCDU if you support DOH are you prepared to support Captains seats to be shifted to a more senior airline?

No, those seats get protected. That is why C and R's are so important.

M

I'm sorry to be the one to break it to you, but it's just not gonna work that way. All you AAI guys that think "the law requires relative seniority" are going to be sorely disappointed. The law requires a "fair and equitable" integration, and there is nothing fair nor equitable about relative seniority in this case. This isn't a merger of equals by any stretch of the imagination. It is a stronger company with the best pilot contract in the industry buying a weaker company with the worst pilot contract in the industry (that's what YOU bring to the table). All those inequities will be taken into account, and the ISL will reflect the extreme benefit that this acquisition is to all AAI pilot's career expectations - increasing said career expectations past any point that could have reasonably been expected had AAI remained a stand-alone carrier. To think that this process and/or an arbitration panel is going to ignore the numerous benefits to the AAI pilot group is just ludicrous. To expect and demand it is just greedy.

Fraternally,
PapaWoody

I can understand the argument that a relative seniority integration is a windfall for the AirTran pilots. What I don't understand is why Southwest Pilots would begrudge someone else benefiting. Does it represent a *reduction* in your career expectations? Why does someone else being brought up to your level piss you off?

Here's a simplified analogy. You work at company where everybody does the same job and gets the same pay, no seniority system. Let's say you mop floors for $20 per hour. Your company buys another floor-mopping company which only pays $10 per hour. Everybody keeps their job. The guys from the other company get a raise to $20 per hour, same as you.

Is this a problem? Should you bitch and moan about how they should get only $15 per hour, and you should get $25 so everybody gets the same "benefit" from the merger? It's obvious to me that such an integration perpetuates an unfair situation instead of preserving a fair situation.

As for AirTran "bringing" a substandard contract or weak financial position, that makes no sense, they aren't bringing their contract with them and the only thing that matters going forward is the financial position of the new merged company.

Not in it's purest sense. It would be DOH up to 1992 and a ratio thereafter.

Exactly. As a previous poster said, BOTH SWA and AAI have exactly the same career expectations....737 CA. So you can throw out that old saw. Pay rates? Another non-starter except in the minds of the "Staple 'em" crowd.

USAirways would have come out just fine without MesaWest! That's a fact Jack!
You're right, they would have liquidated, along with their substandard wages and the catalyst for selling out pensions.
Too bad they just didn't go away like they were supposed to. They are a cancer to the industry and should have been left to die.

We have former Metrojet captains placed behind probationary pilots at MesaWest! Show me the logic in that???
Metrojet? What's that? Another failed idea by us airways? Is that after the first or second bankruptcy?

You can't! DOH prevents the insanity
The only thing your DOH brought to the merger was a furlough, sport. Well that, and substandard wages, loss of pension, 2 bankruptcies and the worst reputation the industry has, less the 1983 hires at CAL.
Your airline was days, yes days away from liquidation. America West saved you. And that's a fact Jack!

Is it also perceived as fair that I would be junior to someone who has 7 years less longevity? Or how about 2 years longevity. When does being junior to anyone with less longevity fair?

Spin that one into fairness please.

Latest resources

Back