The logic of relative seniority

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That logic works both ways, Hose.

So then, an FO at 58% on a list with flat growth doesn't mean the same as 58% on a list with rapid growth coming (AAI airframe orders = 37% growth by 2016).

Ty,

We didn't grow so that we could save the money we are using to buy you. Every single one of your airplanes represents a dilution of our full hedges and a corresponding increase in risk.

It would really help your credibility if you stopped trying to rationalize:
- A 50% pay raise.
- More days off.
- A more stable and better funded company
- A contract that is superior in every way
- Superior equipment (717 vs -800)
AND
- Getting slotted in with pilots with 20 years more longevity

Your seniority and seat exist in Atlanta, on a 717, at a lousy pay rate, under a crummy contract, and at an airline with a questionable future.

A situation so egregious you were willing to go on strike. A future so bleak that you managers approached SWA six times to try a broker a deal.

It is one thing to be proud of your accomplishments and want credit for what you bring to the deal. It is quite another to completely disregard and disrespect what the other side of the table brings to the deal.

It is considerable. Try to be a dude for a change.

Something tells me that would garner about 500 no votes on the AAI side. That essentially staples over 25% of the AAI group.

499. I have one friend who couldn't care less about being stapled. He crunched the numbers and he will have his house paid off by the time he is 45. And he test drove the new Mustang and is looking for a bigger gun safe!

Ty,

We didn't grow so that we could save the money we are using to buy you. Every single one of your airplanes represents a dilution of our full hedges and a corresponding increase in risk.

It would really help your credibility if you stopped trying to rationalize:
- A 50% pay raise.
- More days off.
- A more stable and better funded company
- A contract that is superior in every way
- Superior equipment (717 vs -800)
AND
- Getting slotted in with pilots with 20 years more longevity

Your seniority and seat exist in Atlanta, on a 717, at a lousy pay rate, under a crummy contract, and at an airline with a questionable future.

A situation so egregious you were willing to go on strike. A future so bleak that you managers approached SWA six times to try a broker a deal.

It is one thing to be proud of your accomplishments and want credit for what you bring to the deal. It is quite another to completely disregard and disrespect what the other side of the table brings to the deal.

It is considerable. Try to be a dude for a change.

Yawn.

You're talking to yourself, Chief. I could debate you point by point, but why bother? It's up to the Merger Committees and/or Arbitration.

See you on the other side.

27 driver,

None of us can guess terms of a fence at this point. Far too many dynamics to consider that affect each other. We all know that airline managers want to do that costs the least. SWA's training costs are by far the lowest in the industry. So strict limitations on equipment movement can be largely assumed.

Every AT pilot will have to go through initial training if we are to operate like one airline. I can see 717 training staying where it is for the foreseeable future. I can see it to be an advantage to the company to have the current 717 pilots staying there for the foreseeable future. Training for new equipment is extensive and very costly. I can't even begin to imagine what will pan out but one thing is certain, if the company had it their way, the only training that would occur on the 717 would be for natural attrition, ie retirements, with upgrade and new hire aircraft type commitments for an extended period of time.

I am certain that there will be no aircraft jumping at Southwest Airlines.

I guess my point was that eventually seniority will have to play a part. If the 717 gets based in XYZ and senior guys want that domicile they most likely will be able to bid the 717 to get that domicile or upgrade. I was just wondering if it would be a bump and flush or when a vacancy opens type of thing. Any thoughts?

SWA the company will dictate how the vacancy bids are dealt with. They do that now. They can control how the many movements in a given period. I also will wager that there will be seat/aircraft locks for looooong periods when the movement causes training periods. I doubt SWA has interest in becoming like a legacy where someone can spend half thier career in the training dept learning a new plane. It will be interesting to see how it works out.

And for the billionth time USAir was not going to liquidate, the financing was in place to give to AWA and bring them under the USAir umbrella......

From the opening statements for the pilot merger:

The merger was accounted for as a “reverse acquisition,” using the purchase method of accounting. As a result, while America West Holdings became a wholly-owned subsidiary of US Airways Group, America West Holdings was treated as the acquiring company for accounting purposes because: a) America West Holdings stockholders received 39% of US Airways Group’s common stock while former US Airways shareholders’ equity was entirely wiped out and its shareholders received none of the new company’s equity; b) America West Holdings designated six board members while US Airways designated only two; and c) America West CEO (Douglas Parker) became the new company’s Chairman and CEO (and America West executives occupied the CFO, Chief Administrative Officer, and Executive VP of Sales and Marketing positions).

As of the merger announcement, US Airways was down to 26 days of cash. That cash decline continued through closing of the merger despite its sale of assets to Eastshore Aviation LLC (Republic Airlines) for $125 million. By September 2005, just prior to the transaction closing, US Airways was down to five days of cash.

The US Airways Merger Committee will claim that America West was facing liquidity problems. We will develop the facts on that subject and debunk that assertion at the hearing. For now, it is sufficient to observe that in the Company’s first quarter 2005 earnings conference call, America West’s CEO said: “We’re not losing any sleep over liquidity here,” and days later the Company reaffirmed its previous order for an additional 22 A-320 family aircraft.

Sorry Nic, but for the last time.....you are wrong. John Adams once said: "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."

You just can not change the FACTS.

Well, here we are two days before the holiday throwing barbs on an anonymous forum...let's take a break and make a new years eve resolutoin to worry about the things we can influence (and for most of us the results of the Acquistion/SLI is way above our paygrade) like continuing to make SWA the most successful airline in History, with success comes growth and financial security....

Moderator hat on:

Personal attacks will NOT be allowed. I don't know how many times I have to say it.

Cometman suspended for 7 days. Next time it will be a 30 day suspension. 3rd offense is permanent banning.

Abide by the ToS.

/mod

I guess my point was that eventually seniority will have to play a part. If the 717 gets based in XYZ and senior guys want that domicile they most likely will be able to bid the 717 to get that domicile or upgrade. I was just wondering if it would be a bump and flush or when a vacancy opens type of thing. Any thoughts?

The only thought I am certain of is what ever will save the company the most money it will want. Training costs would be considerably higher without long locks on the 717. With so few of those airplanes available, I really can't see SWA hanging on to those for a long time. SWA may be interested to see how another type of aircraft works within our business model and make decisions based on that experience.

Latest resources

Back