• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The JetBlue Incident Shows Why Pilots Should Make 200K

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I agree....I could not keep my eyes off Fox News last night.

By the way...please forward this to Shepard Smith and let him know that "co-pilots" are now called First Officers and "Stewardess" are "Flight Attendants"

Ace757 said:
What other job do you go to and all of a sudden have the lives of 149 people in your hands.

Not to take anything away from the awesome job the crew did...

How about Millitary??? I had the lives of 250 Marines and sailors in my hands on a daily basis as a company commander. Even more indirectly in my current duties. I don't make anything near what those pilots do...

Although I do agree that pilots need to make more :) . It would be a pay cut for me if I started trying to fly professionally....

Last edited:
Couldnt stop watchin

dink said:
Texasskicker

I missed the waving part. walked away from the TV. but they were close to Hollywood ya know.

LOL: that was cute "they should have lit up a smoke spit on the ground and wiped the sweat off their brow" in the good old unpolitically correct days.

All and all though, I agree no big deal. We all would have done the exact same thing....... Land the airplane.

Our job is soooooo much easyer than days gone by. We got spoiled starting in the 70's....

BUT WE STILL DESERVE THE 200K$!!!!!! took me 16 years to get the job.

I was watching the whole thing on PMSnbc. After landing, i watched the pax deplane. Was saying to myself, what if that nose gear collapsed right now with workers swarmin underneath the nose and pax gettin off.

Then, out comes the crew, and two with bars are wavin' for the camera like Ms. America in the Macy's parade...what a couple of non-macho heroes. I was so farggin disappointed.

I couldnt help thinkin back to the days when pilots were real men, and stewardesses were just that...all that and a bag of saturated fat deep fried pork rind. Man, how things have changed.

Why couldn't those computer whizzes posin as pilots fix the dang airplane rather than grind it to a halt. I know, they tried. BUt if yall wanna hold em up as doin such a fine job, ask why they couldnt have fixed it. Ok, Al Haynes couldnt fix his, but that was very very different. THis was a french jet.

Enough of me ramblin' on. I swore off postin after lunch a while ago cause i start driftin off.

Anybody know the specifics of the flight crew...experience, hire date, etc?

Q.:
Quote, "BUT WHEN HE GET OUT, he makes his 300K because of all of the sacrifice he made to get there. How are pilots any different."
A.:
Doctors don't make the big money because of the sacrafices made to get there. That's just circumstance. They make what they make because of the laws of supply and demand The fact that it very difficult to become an MD makes the supply of MDs low.

BTW: Kudos the the JetBlue Crew, both the PF and the PNF

Great job by the crew, but did they help clean the cabin after it was over ???

:D
Couldn't resist... As a corporate pilot I still laugh about how people thought it was so outrageous that JetBlue crews would help straighten up the cabin.

Last edited:
If pilots want to make more $$$ they better tell all the youngins' willing to work for beer that they should value their abilities and refuse to whore themselves out anymore. Simple economics, too many pilots...not enough jobs.....watering down of the profession.

fletch717 said:
Under current position, you state DC-9 Capt at KYIP. But a man of your character would never lie to us right?

It says AT KYIP. It doesen't necessarily mean that is my domicile.

If I put that I'm a multi-millionaire in my profile, would you believe that as well?

For all you know, I could be a USA Jet pilot or an AirTran manager. Huuuuuh!?!?!?
Yep, you never know who you are conversing with online.

One thing is for certain, and this is advice: if I were involved in any type of contract negotiations, I wouldn't be shooting my mouth off about how much MORE I make than everyone else, and if someone were to tell me how "little" I make, I wouldn't immediately start defending my salary and telling everybody how great the current payscale is and how you are all quite happy with how much you make.

Has it ever occured to you that your management might be documenting eveything you and Ty Webb say online about how great the pay and working conditions are? It's hard for one to ask their company for a pay raise when at the same time they are online bragging to everybody how great the pay is and how they make so much more than everyone else. Especially when their company might be on the verge of reporting a loss or a streak of losses. But hey, don't take my word for it.

Keep up the good work guys!! All eyes are on you two.

Phoenix45 said:
Not to take anything away from the awesome job the crew did...

How about Millitary??? I had the lives of 250 Marines and sailors in my hands on a daily basis as a company commander. Even more indirectly in my current duties. I don't make anything near what those pilots do...

Although I do agree that pilots need to make more :) . It would be a pay cut for me if I started trying to fly professionally....

Are you sure? As an 0-5 my salary was higher than it is now.

Here is an excerpt from the AP news story.....

"Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, who spoke with the pilot, identified him as Scott Burke and praised him for the calm he showed during the flight.

"He joked that he was sorry he put the plane down 6 inches off the center line," Villaraigosa said."

Awesome!!

VABB said:
certain, and this is advice: if I were involved in any type of contract negotiations, I wouldn't be shooting my mouth off about how much MORE I make than everyone else, and if someone were to tell me how "little" I make, I wouldn't immediately start defending my salary and telling everybody how great the current payscale is and how you are all quite happy with how much you make.

Gotta love the "free legal advice" on this website . . . . .. . . gimme a break. What's to say I am not an AirTran manager. . . . put down the crack pipe, Perry Mason.

Has it ever occured to you that your management might be documenting eveything you and Ty Webb say online about how great the pay and working conditions are? It's hard for one to ask their company for a pay raise when at the same time they are online bragging to everybody how great the pay is and how they make so much more than everyone else

Comparing AirTran pay to what you make flying car parts around and crapping in a bag while your wife puts out for half the town isn't going to affect our next contract, Chief.

Our negotiating committee has a mandate from the 1200 pilots who have been polled extensively about what they are looking for in the next contract, and what a few people say on an anonymous message board is not going to affect it. . . hell, we have our own AirTran message boards, with real names, and it doesn;t affect it, either.

Thanks for your "free" legal advice, though, and for your remarks about the Valujet crash. You're really a classy guy.

Have a nice life . . . . in Chihauhau.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back