The end of jumpseating?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
BRA said:
I am with colgan and express jet left me at the gate the other day. Said my company needs to be CASS. Watched the airplane push out. Never got to speak to the captain, only the gate agent. It was getting close to push time and I didn't want to delay anything. So according to my experience this thread has some truth, unless the gate agent was misinformed?

The gate agent was misinformed.

Yeah could be. I was in uniform, nice, and ready to go. Oh well. He had said it was a new policy. They did have seats in the back.

So which regionals are a member of the CASS system? I heard Skyway is, but never from an official source. Anyone know if we can ride up front? Or is there a website to see who can? Thanks!

General Lee said:
Jumpseating in the cockpit again, like pre-911. Now you need a company that has proof of employment in the computer, plus a few other things. If the pilot has everything and there is no seat open in the back, the pilot can sit in the cockpit. Verification of employment is what took so long, and some airlines, like DL, have taken longer than others.

Bye Bye--General Lee

What about non-CASS air carriers? Still sit in back or barred completely from the Cabin Rider J/S?

Regionals owned by Parent companies that are part of the ATA are CASS eligible. American Eagle and Horizon were the first two regionals thanks to there parent companies.

dispatcher121 said:
The gate agents are only as good as their training. It's been my experience that they are not trained correctly. You would NOT believe the calls I get in dispatch because the gate agents don't know what to do with a jumpseater that is not in CASS.

Heck, I've had bad experiences jumpseating and I AM in CASS. I requested a jumpseat pass and the gate agent input the wrong identifier for my airline. (I was watching her over the counter.) I told her (very politely, I might add) she input the wrong airline code and she wouldn't listen. The system came up, "deny boarding". She would NOT go back and change it. She showed the Captain the "deny boarding" message and the Captain said he can't accept my jumpseat request....and I was DENIED!

idiots.......

An American Airlines captain who was trying to get me on the j/s printed out a whole page from Sabre which showed which airlines were cass and which were not. I didn't keep it but it's in sabre... anyone know the code to retrieve that?

JetSpeed219 said:
and just so I'm sure, what is CASS???

The Air Transport Association system, called the Cockpit Access Security System (CASS), is a computer-based system that transmits queries to airline employee databases via an ARINC "proxy" server to positively verify the identity and employment status of pilots asking to use an off-line jumpseat. The responses to those queries are used to either approve or deny a jumpseat rider request.

from http://www.alpa.org/alpa/DesktopModules/ViewAnnDocument.aspx?DocumentID=4252

The time it takes to read this bubble gum thread of information, one could've emailed thier js coordinator or look at the ALPA site.... :)

Latest resources

Back