• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

the dream gone forever?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Unless we take a page from Jefferson's book and CEO's are hanging from lampposts (a la Mussolini...), nothing will get better in this country for the non-privileged class.

The airline pilot has had a target on his back since de-regulation was conceived and their plan is working brilliantly.

Stay in the Guard/Reserves at a minimum and try to find some job that will pay the bills on the outside--either flying or non-flying.

I'd suggest NetJets. Yeah you have to dump toilets but it may be better than working for the airlines and being on the receiving end...TC

FedEx and UPS are the only companies where one would still have hope of anything resembling a 1960's-era TWA or Pan Am career. I am talking in regards to pay and stability, obviously not the glamour and the young FA's.

Thirty years after deregulation, the free market has finally caught up with airline organized labor. The delay was caused by the inherent strength of the legacy carriers and the barriers low cost carriers had to entry. The change was accelerated by 911 and the rise of internet ticket clearinghouses and, more recently, the price of oil. The profit margins will never be what they once were. No one union is strong enough to stem this tide.

I am at Delta and am very happy with the job. I've fulfilled a life-long dream. I wonder how many of my high school/college classmates can make that claim? But I've realized that I will probably never live in the house I dreamed of as a kid, or drive the Porsche 911, or fly my warbird on my days off.

Stay in the military.

PS: Don't worry, Yip will chime in here fairly soon and tell you this is still the greatest career in the world.

While I don't know much about the major airlines....Id say one CANNOT put all their eggs into one or two baskets anymore if you want to fly for a living..

Be ready to move as the industry does - airlines, Netjets, corporate, etc..the days of getting a job at DAL, missing 1 or 2 furloughs, and retiring rich are pretty much over (unfortunately)

I can tell you that corporate hiring is still pretty strong...that being said, its really a matter of finding a job that fits you.

Good Luck.

The airlines career is going down fast. There is nothing positive about it anymore. I got out and I am very glad.

While I don't know much about the major airlines....Id say one CANNOT put all their eggs into one or two baskets anymore if you want to fly for a living..

Be ready to move as the industry does - airlines, Netjets, corporate, etc..the days of getting a job at DAL, missing 1 or 2 furloughs, and retiring rich are pretty much over (unfortunately)

I can tell you that corporate hiring is still pretty strong...that being said, its really a matter of finding a job that fits you.

Good Luck.

Pretty sage advice. I have a corporate job that I love. But, I also keep my resume up to date and also have a membership to an aviation website. Because as "G" points out, you just never know what is going to happen in this industry!

All the best in your search! Cheers- Rum

My advice, have a backup just in case. The industry is in a shambles. I am making less than what I was making a few years ago, and the costs of living have gone up. Wages haven't kept pace. Unfortunately, we are our own worst enemies. For each pilot job vacated, thee are still another 5-10 awaiting to fill that vacancy and would be willing to do it for less money. We had those who paid for their training and those who are willing to fly for next to nothing. Until, we as pilots, realize we have a skill and a specialty and should be paid appropriately, then pay rates will still be kept low. Every bankruptcy, companies run to the pilot's union and asks for paycuts, and everytime we oblige, and for what? To save our jobs? I was hoping after the last fiasco, we'd learn our lessons, but obviously I doubt that.
Ok enough venting. Have a backup plan. I see so many young kids coming out of the North Dakota, Auburn, Perdue with aviation degrees and nothing else. All they know how to do is fly. But what would happen if the industry went completely bankrupt and thousands upon thousands of jobs were lost. Or even another scenario, and this happened to me. I suffered a serious vision problem and lost my medical for a while. I was not able to keep a medical and was not able to fly. (Luckily this was corrected) Luckily flying is my second career, so I had something to fall back on so I can support my family. So, it's best to have a backup. Also did I mention a wife or a husband who will be supportive of you? This profession has a high divorce rate, right up there with police officers.
But remember there is still good about this job, don't get me wrong. After 10 years and three airlines flying Part 121, it's still fun to look out the window and see where I am, and to see the sights. It's still neat how I can wake up in Portland, Me on morning and find myself in Indianapolis or Atlanta later that night. Also, when I finish work, and go and catch my commute home, I can leave my work behind and not worry. Also, the average 7-4:30 Monday through Friday worker gets on average, 8 1/2 days off per month. I usually get around 14 days off a month. So, I have time during the week to get things done or spend time with the children when I am home.
If we can fix some of the bad, that's fixable, then this profession would be even better.

I am still a night owl and,
And to answer your main question, my dream job is still either UPS or FEDEX.

Last edited:
Aviation has started a permanent decline

Anyone who plans to stay in aviation should do themselves a favor and go to the www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net website and read it very carefully. This is not some tree hugger stuff guys, this is science and it is real. The capacity decline is beginning now in the airlines....and it is not going to come back. In all probability it will become to expensive for average people to fly within the next 20 years or so. Aviation by the mid 21st century will likely only be possible for the very rich and the government. I love flying as much as the rest of you but it is time to be realistic about it. Sorry to $hit on your doorstep but reality is now.

Hey Otto.

My suggestion would be to leave active duty, find a reserve flying job (ATC is a great option from a lifestyle perspective - no activations, deployments or chem gear), and to pursue a non-pilot civil career. Going back to school to "reblue" your job skills while flying part-time in the reserves might be a component of such a plan...

I am retired ANG (Vipers) and dipped Delta three years ago to attend law school full-time. Going back to school has been great fun (though very honestly a bit of a grind at times) and things are now coming together career-wise. I'm genuinely excited about the future.

My buds who have remained with the airlines have reacted to the implosion of the profession in mixed ways. Those who tend to worry about the future are understandably upset. Those who just take life as it comes are doing OK. You might pause and do a bit of self-assessment to consider how you look at things. If you don't mind externalities holding great sway over your professional and financial future, then you might do well with an airline. If you'd rather exercise some degree of control over your destiny and rely more upon your own wits, then I'd recommend seeking something outside the cockpit.

Obviously I was of the latter mindset and have been very happy with my decision to seek a alternative career.

Regardless the path you choose, best of luck.

Regards,

Felix

Latest resources

Back