• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The Dreaded Training Contract

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am about to finish a 2-year contract with my current employer... the job for some would've been a dream. And, on paper it is-- great pay, upgrade, never have to actually work, etc. In reality, the job wasn't what I thought it would be. Although many people have told me I could probably break the contract without incident, I have chosen to fufill the agreement I signed. My last day will be the day that contract ends, though-- I am not staying one extra day! What I learned from this: I will never sign a contract with any employer again. Good luck to you!

thanks for the good and the bad comments. Ethics? trying to better myself. is that wrong? I'm not killing, stealing, beating or raping to do it. So whats the big deal? If the rolls where reversed and the company needed to get rid of me for the better of the company...i'm 100% confident that they would terminate our connection.

It is not so much about the ethics of a contract. Its about the quality person you are. In this day and age of internet you can ask a simple question here on FI about a company prior to interviewing and you will get the good, bad, and the ugly on them. Most companies that have contracts have them for a reason-folks take the training and run. Liklely this is a cause in management or working conditions that need to be corrected by management. Don't hold your breath on that one..
Fact is.. you researched this company, you applied, then interviewed and trained with them and even signed thier contract. Now 5 months into the job you want out. What it tells me if I were interviewing you and hired you I am taking the risk of sending you to get typed on a small jet because we don't do contracts-if you dont really want to be here then we dont want you here either. However after 5 months you feel you have mastered your position, your aircraft and there are no more challenges for you. I fear that if I sent you to school on a small jet it would not be long before you wanted to "better yourself" and move up to a larger jet. Now I get to go to the CEO and CFO and explain my decision in hiring you.
I have never heard of any company paying your obligation off to hire you. There are plenty of names in the resume stack without bills for me to pay.

"If the rolls where reversed and the company needed to get rid of me for the better of the company...i'm 100% confident that they would terminate our connection-"
This comment just screams that the company WOULD be better off without you...What are you giving to the company? Nothing?
I understand it might be a crappy job but why not make the best of it for the terms that you signed for. Be the best employee they have and when you leave they can then wonder why they can't retain quality employees like you instead of the ole' these pilot come and go, do the bare minimum and collect the check.
Good luck in your decision and remember that aviation is a small world-don't burn bridges..

thanks for the good and the bad comments. Ethics? trying to better myself. is that wrong? I'm not killing, stealing, beating or raping to do it. So whats the big deal? If the rolls where reversed and the company needed to get rid of me for the better of the company...i'm 100% confident that they would terminate our connection.

As far as ethics go...lying and breaking the contract counts as bad ethics.

the nice thing about a contract is if you wanna leave then pay up and no hard feelings.

Also it might depend what state your in but I believe training contracts are illegal in many states and aren't worth the paper they're written on.

There is a world of difference in a "Training Contract" vs. a "Promissory Note."

I'm not a Lawyer but I have two friends that were sued by their former employer and both friends lost in court on Promissory Notes. They told me it was the same as if they had gone to a bank and borrowed the money for any type of purchase. Two different judges ruled that it was a debt that had to be repayed.

A Training Contract may or may not be enforceable in certain states.

One is apples the other is oranges.
If you are serious about leaving I suggest you Run to the nearest lawyer and seek his advise. A judgement against you may keep you from being hired by any company because it will show up on your credit history.

The art of professionalism is doing the right thing, the detailed thing, the best you can thing, when it is not a big deal and no one is watching.

Before I sign any contract I alway have a legal opinion done on the contract, contracts are negotiable! Alway leave an easy out that you can afford! Some great advice from people here.... You signed it stick with it! or full-fill it and buy it out. Make sure you get a recipet!!!

when have i lyed? and who says that breaking a contract is bad ethics?
When you signed the contract you said you would stay for 2 years, the second you leave before the contract is up you are a liar. Im sure if they have a contract they also asked you if you would stay for the duration of the contract face to face. Seeing that you got the job, im sure you told them yes. You did this as well as tell them you would stay by signing a legal(perhaps semi) document. This would show a lack of ethics on your part to any future potential employers. I would also be willing to bet that someone sometime has screwed them in a situation like this. Breaking a contract is not the way you want to make your resume stand out from the rest. Is this job oportunity THAT good? I seriously doubt it, especially if you are just trying to get into the regionals a little earlier.

Latest resources

Back