Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The deal is done: Continental and United airlines have agreed to merge.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The public opinion doesn't matter for merger approval. The Department of Justice looks at anti-trust issues. This will be approved. But maybe the legal departments at UAL and CAL are missing something that you see. Let's see, go with two high powered corporate legal departments, or a career RJ pilot.............hmmmmmm.

I choose the two high powered corporate legal departments. I think I have to agree with them on the deal will meet little legal resistance.

No need for insults, the only difference between you and us lowly RJ pilots is your equipment.

No need for insults, the only difference between you and us lowly RJ pilots is your equipment.

I didn't compare a RJ pilot to Mainline pilot, I compared an RJ pilot to 2 teams of high paid legal departments.

Ummmmm, no I don't understand that at all. There will be no giving anything up here I can tell you. We might not get exactly what we want with regards to scope but we will be getting a joint contract that sets the bar higher for the legacy carriers going forward. I will not be able to look my DAL friends in the eye if we don't do at least that for them and the others like AA. I wouldn't want to be a regional pilot right now. The good news is that if we do make headway in the scope department, new jobs will be created at the mainline which is GOOD for regional pilots. I predict hiring at the new UAL after 2014. Good for the regional lifers who lack the college degree etc. to go to CAL/UAL/DAL/AA/UPS/FDX as they might move up when those qualified get picked up by UAL.

IF and WHEN, you eliminate RJ flying at your new airline, YOUR Airline will become the INCREDIBLE SHRINKING AIRLINE!

Did you know? RJs do about 51% of UAL flying!

The public opinion doesn't matter for merger approval. The Department of Justice looks at anti-trust issues. This will be approved. But maybe the legal departments at UAL and CAL are missing something that you see. Let's see, go with two high powered corporate legal departments, or a career RJ pilot.............hmmmmmm.

I choose the two high powered corporate legal departments. I think I have to agree with them on the deal will meet little legal resistance.

Chicago, United, Merger--Can you say Obama? It will be approved.

IF and WHEN, you eliminate RJ flying at your new airline, YOUR Airline will become the INCREDIBLE SHRINKING AIRLINE!

For now. Did you know at one time Air Wisconsin was the largest United Express at one time, they even had 70 plus seat jets. I'm talking the 90's. Remember West Air? Probably not, they were a huge west coast feeder for UAL. Britt? Bar Harbor? Presidential? These were all big regional airlines that have come and gone while providing "feed" for UAL and CAL. Where are they now? Gone via buyouts, closed doors, etc.

Will the large number of RJs disappear overnight? Not likely. They didn't show up overnight. They are the product of massive givebacks and concessionary agreements. Will the numbers be capped, and contracts allowed to expire with not allowing replacements. Much more likely. Will there be winners and losers in the the regional feed for the new UAL? There most certainly will. Regionals are pawns in the Mainline game. Management know this. In fact, they love it. They can whipsaw entire airlines against each other. I'm not ragging on the regional airline pilot. I flew 9 years at one. The solution? Get mainline flying back where it belongs.........to mainline.

I watch in disgust the numbers of 70 seaters flying around that once were very good mainline jobs, Do I hold disdain for the pilots? No. They're just flying the best equipment their airline has to offer. If you fly for a regional airline, you are an outsource provider who can be replaced at the end of the contract, sometimes even before. That is reality.

Riiiiight. Its not about eliminating RJ flying professor. Its about the mainline pilots flying the jets larger than 50 seats.

Its about the mainline pilots flying the jets larger than 50 seats.

After all these years, somehow I still cannot figure out why a cut off at 50 seats is acceptable to any mainline pilot. Kinda seems silly fighting so hard to get the 70 seaters "on property" while totally ignoring the 50 seaters. The new UAL will have just under 500 50 seaters while having about 100 70 seaters.

Funny when your jump seating to work youll ride on those crappy RJ's some of you need to lighten up after all flying those small planes were above you Mainline types give a rest !!

For now. Did you know at one time Air Wisconsin was the largest United Express at one time, they even had 70 plus seat jets. I'm talking the 90's. Remember West Air? Probably not, they were a huge west coast feeder for UAL. Britt? Bar Harbor? Presidential? These were all big regional airlines that have come and gone while providing "feed" for UAL and CAL. Where are they now? Gone via buyouts, closed doors, etc.

Will the large number of RJs disappear overnight? Not likely. They didn't show up overnight. They are the product of massive givebacks and concessionary agreements. Will the numbers be capped, and contracts allowed to expire with not allowing replacements. Much more likely. Will there be winners and losers in the the regional feed for the new UAL? There most certainly will. Regionals are pawns in the Mainline game. Management know this. In fact, they love it. They can whipsaw entire airlines against each other. I'm not ragging on the regional airline pilot. I flew 9 years at one. The solution? Get mainline flying back where it belongs.........to mainline.

I watch in disgust the numbers of 70 seaters flying around that once were very good mainline jobs, Do I hold disdain for the pilots? No. They're just flying the best equipment their airline has to offer. If you fly for a regional airline, you are an outsource provider who can be replaced at the end of the contract, sometimes even before. That is reality.

Tell us how mainline management will be able to adjust their business model to make money flying RJ size aircraft and you will have my attention.

Until then you are just spouting wishful thinking and talking about the past.

Tell us how mainline management will be able to adjust their business model to make money flying RJ size aircraft and you will have my attention.

Until then you are just spouting wishful thinking and talking about the past.

That's just it. Management knows the economic feasibility of 50 seat RJs makes it real hard to make money on a given route. That's why they are pushing towards 70-100 seat jets. Look at the production of 50 seat jets at Embrarer and Canadair. I believe the production line on 50 seat jets has reached the end.

I'm not "spouting" any wishful thinking of the past. I was highlighting that regionals come and go with the contracts they sign. I'm looking forward. NO MORE SCOPE RELIEF. CONCESSION STAND IS CLOSED!

Latest resources

Back