Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The deal is done: Continental and United airlines have agreed to merge.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That's just it. Management knows the economic feasibility of 50 seat RJs makes it real hard to make money on a given route. That's why they are pushing towards 70-100 seat jets. Look at the production of 50 seat jets at Embrarer and Canadair. I believe the production line on 50 seat jets has reached the end.

I'm not "spouting" any wishful thinking of the past. I was highlighting that regionals come and go with the contracts they sign. I'm looking forward. NO MORE SCOPE RELIEF. CONCESSION STAND IS CLOSED!

Without a doubt........

That's just it. Management knows the economic feasibility of 50 seat RJs makes it real hard to make money on a given route. That's why they are pushing towards 70-100 seat jets. Look at the production of 50 seat jets at Embrarer and Canadair. I believe the production line on 50 seat jets has reached the end.

I'm not "spouting" any wishful thinking of the past. I was highlighting that regionals come and go with the contracts they sign. I'm looking forward. NO MORE SCOPE RELIEF. CONCESSION STAND IS CLOSED![/QUOTE]

That is a nice slogan. It may even make it on a sticker for someones flight case.

I just don't see the trend toward scope relief reversing itself.

I feel a much more likely scenerio is that the majors will continue to consolidate in an effort to optimize profits. This will be followed by them dropping unprofitable routes.

The regionals will follow suit and begin to consolidate themselves (i.e. Republic) and then fly the routes shed by the majors on an at risk basis.

Flyerdan;[B said:
NO MORE SCOPE RELIEF. CONCESSION STAND IS CLOSED![/[/B]QUOTE]

That is a nice slogan. It may even make it on a sticker for someones flight case.

Sure beats Guppy Killer

How about this.....

None of us have any clue whatsoever what will happen, who will get what, who will go out of business, who will grow or what management will do at any level. We are pawns and will do and go what and where we are told.

After all these years, somehow I still cannot figure out why a cut off at 50 seats is acceptable to any mainline pilot. Kinda seems silly fighting so hard to get the 70 seaters "on property" while totally ignoring the 50 seaters. The new UAL will have just under 500 50 seaters while having about 100 70 seaters.

As a mainline FO, would you accept $21K per year to make the ERJ you are flying economically viable? Doubt it.

I agree that anything over 50 seats should be flown by mainline. 50 seats and below requires lower operating costs because you just can't spread costs effectively across 50 seats... Flying 50 seaters on competitive routes limits profit potential - so costs become more of a factor...

Last edited:
Maybe not SkyWest.. CO loves them, and United owes them money with alot of strings atatched.....

So much so that they replaced them at IAH with Colgan to fly turboprops. Oh yeah, and as far as I remember the CAL strong-arm was used to get XJT to lower cost. If you remember, CAL told XJT that they sellout to SkyWest or slowly lose the flying over the rest of the old CPA. In the end, XJT did not sellout AND got a new CPA. That was all under the former CEO. Basically, Skywest was used by CAL to lower cost at XJT, it worked, but SkyWest was a pawn.

As a mainline FO, would you accept $21K per year to make the ERJ you are flying economically viable? Doubt it.

When you first started, would you have rather had the choice to fly that 50 seater for 21k/year at mainline, or would you have rather flown it for the regional your at now?

Heard a United Airbus crew say they saw a proposed pay scale for 90-120 seat flying at the new United....Capt pay topped out at 97 bucks/hr.

Good luck everyone.

Heard a United Airbus crew say they saw a proposed pay scale for 90-120 seat flying at the new United....Capt pay topped out at 97 bucks/hr.

Good luck everyone.

Sorry, I call bullsh!t on that one. There has been no such proposal made by either side on 90-120 seat flying. Continental already has a scale for airraft in that size anyway. It is SNB on the pay scale and the rates can be found on AirlinePilotCentral. I can see a 70-85 seat rate coming close to this at maybe year 5 CA but nothing 90 plus seats topping out that low. Heck, our smallest equipment rates for FO pay in our concessionary contract we are currently working under tops out well over 97 an hour on aircraft that seat less than 120 today. I don't think what they were looking at was anything put out by anyone involved in the upcoming negotiations.

Good luck everyone.

At the OLD UAL yes a payscale was proposed after the grounding of 100 guppies but the company had not responded. And NO WAY it was topping out at $97 bux an hour !!

Even if it was - it would be a waste of time because it would be voted down in a landslide.

CAL pilots here on the forum.......there is always someone trying to stir ********************e up for their amusement. Let's let the process work and hell in the end when JCBA TA comes out and we don't like it? Send it back until it is what we DESERVE.

We will unify despite some of the a$$clowns we have on here saying otherwise........

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back