• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The Best Plane for 10M.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've been told that you will develop dependability problems with mosts avionics upgrades on oolder airframes like the 601. And I think the 601s tended to be a little unreliable to begin with....someone knows more about this than I do I'm sure....anyone?

If you're stepping into the 15m range the G-machines sound like a perfect fit. Why can't you consider those?

For the mission you are describing, and the budget you are describing, the airplane you need is a GIII.

The total annual budget for operating a GIII won't be that much more than operating a 601 (even though fuel will be more expensive), and you'll save several million on acquisition.

Plus, if this is an additional airplane and you'll be keeping your light jet for shorter trips, the GIII makes even more sense as you'll presumably not be flying it a huge number of hours per year. Any savings from fuel on the 601 will be even less important.

Of course, perhaps psychology is at play? Sometimes people want what they want, regardless of what is the best actual fit for their needs.

If that's the case, get the Falcon 50 and tell a couple of people to take the airlines. The 50 has the best looks, most fun to fly, and a very reasonable ramp presence.

OK, is anyone willing to send me the C&D #'s for the 601 and the GIII? Since my missions would be almost exclusively to Mexico, I could tanker up on cheap Jet-A and maybe make this sound plausible to my company for a future aircraft.

I agree with Some Dude. For what you have described as trips, the G-III is the ticket. For planning purposes the yearly operating cost is around 1 mil.
Doing Hawaii is not a problem even with head winds of 100kts. Fill it up in Oakland and keep going. The dependability of a whiz is worth the bucks. It works well on short hauls. Uses a lot more fuel, but fill it up with pax and it does not know the difference. Look at the AC models. What you have to keep in mind is the noise factor. If you fly it using the noise abatement procedures you will have no problems. This is also an airplane that comes with a manual on tankering fuel. Shop wisely for fuel and you you can save money there.
Good luck

I'd have to second that. If 12+ folks is a must, then a GIII can't be beat. A good number of those birds are set up for 14 pax. While no expert on the airfame, having flown similar stuff, look for a good AC bird. There are several out there and a fair amount of GIII airframes have already been modified with modern EFIS displays and FMC systems.

I would think you could have a great machine for well under 10M.

for $10M you could buy 3 sabre-65's. Great Aircraft for 1500-2000nm legs, Also an inflight APU and .82 to boot. Great bird, she's just a dyin' breed.

Of course, there aren't that many other airplanes where you need to buy 3 just to have the parts to keep one running!

for $10M you could buy 3 sabre-65's. Great Aircraft for 1500-2000nm legs, Also an inflight APU and .82 to boot. Great bird, she's just a dyin' breed.

Of course, there aren't that many other airplanes where you need to buy 3 just to have the parts to keep one running!

There are plenty of parts, just owned by 2 companies in St louis and they keep the prices fairly high.

I'll bet you $100 our 28 year old Sabre-65 will still be flying long after most of those new CJ's and lear 40 models are scrap metal.

I would bet you it's the best plane and the MOST plane for the buck.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back