• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The Airline Safety and Pilot Training Improvement Act of 2009

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In the last 20 or so years, the flying public has been generally acknowledging that airline pilots from the PanAm/TWA days are at the pinnacle of their professions. Back then there's no such thing as a regional feed to a hub, and pilots flying a DC3 is the same as the next pilot who flies a DC10 across the pond. To them, we all receive the same training, are capable of flying in every airplane known to man. We, as pilots, basically, were invincible.

Now the bureaucrats in Washington have several accidents on their hands and they feel the need to do something. The feds has known this kind of problems for a long time, and yet nothing was done. It's truly too bad it has to wait until they investigate this latest accident in BUF and highlighting pilot fatigue as a probable cause. I'd say that's only 1% right, because our whole industry from the hiring practice, to pilot training, to scheduling needs an overhaul. It may have worked in 20 years ago, but it truly needs to change before another bad accident happens.

Let me see here, 20 or more years ago many of the pan am accidents were pilot error accidents with some of the accidents caused by flight crews that were substandard that the FAA/Pan Am had knowledge of the airmen's problems.

I am sure glad I was lucky to never fail a check ride.... its going to be the kiss of death for a while regardless of the reason. Regionals will have no problem keeping people, fail a PC and its over. Glad for the time being I'm a " client " instead of a student when it comes to check rides.

Also, I am wondering if this new database of info will be able to be double checked by us pilots to ensure accuracy. Naaaa....not needed no one working for the govt would make any errors entering info....right?

Dream on ,I will wake you when its over.

Latest resources

Back